+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

I agree with your thoughts here, Gutmutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3907723;
    Crystal - I love me some Crystal, but the time limitation on the songs hurt her first choice, and Ellen shot her in the foot. "Maybe I'm a man, maybe I'm a man, maybe I'm a man..." - What?!).
    I wonder if Ellen was hoping Crystal would do something with that song other than yell it exactly as written. I think Crystal forgot last night her own advice of "Bigger isn't always better."

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3907723;
    Lee - Really? After Jason Castro sang Hallelujah, I listened to every possible version on youtube. Reading here that Simon has the rights makes it make some sense that he would give it to Lee ($$$), but the dear boy doesn't have the depth. Listen to Buckley or K.D. Lang and then listen to Lee's schmaltz. The choir was over the top. If Simon staged it, I cry "foul". Maybe Lee WOULD make a better idol if you cast your mind back to some of the others holding that title.

And Lee nver got that "Bigger isn't always better" memo at all! His M.O. is to take a beautiful, subtle song and turn it into a Vegas act, complete with bagpipes, choir, or maybe a trapeze artist in the background. And gruffly yelling your songs also helps to confuse people so they aren't hit in the face by your inability to stay on hey. I've been watching this develop over the weeks, from Hey Jude to The Boxer to Falling Slowly to the final culmination of Hallelujah. Lee doesn't understand the concept of stripping down a song or just leaving it as it - he feels the need to blow it up, and that, to me, is not artistic.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I thought Lee gave good, but not great performances last night. He may have even had the best performances overall last night, even though I have to give the edge to Crystalís ďMaybe Iím AmazedĒ (ignoring the ďMaybe Iím a manĒ lines). I still donít care for Lee, and Iíve finally put my finger on it (other than when he sings out of tune). He always looks so mopey. Even when he smiles, itís not a bright, happy smile. He looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Does he have some tragedy in his background? For now, Iím just chalking it up to him being a depressed kind of guy, and I donít respond to that. I canít say I prefer Tim Urban, but I liked his personality better.

Pillbeam, I also thought Casey sounded great last night. He just needed better songs. And I think that was his downfall most of the season. With better songs, we might have been looking at a different finale.

Iíve had about enough of Randy. His judging seems to be too personal and cutting. At least Simon told Casey he sang his songs well Ė which he did. Did Randy compliment Casey at all?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3907798;
    I have to admit to wincing too! I kept thinking "sing woman!"!
    A couple of thoughts on this.

First, singing "woman" changes the rhythm at a crucial point in the song. You can't just throw in extra notes, and even if you did - because of where it falls in the bar, the emphasis would fall on the second syllable, (woMAN instead of WOman), which makes it an even worse fit. If you use "girl", "lady", or some other gender appropriate noun, you kill the rhyme scheme.

Second, Crystal didn't pick this song. It's not any kind of personal statement. Ellen handed her a rock classic, and Crystal sang the hell out of it. (In my opinion.) Singing the lyric as written was a compromise - but a valid choice that preserved the catchy chorus which made the song a hit.

Obviously it didn't work for everybody, which is understandable. But in my view Ellen put Crystal in a no-win situation with that lyric. Crystal decided to rise above the gender agreement issue, and err on the side of respecting Sir Paul's lyric. Personally, I can get behind that decision.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3907819;
    He always looks so mopey. Even when he smiles, itís not a bright, happy smile. He looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders
    I think a lot of little girls see that as being "sensitive" and are voting for him.

Another weird thing is that when Ryan asks him questions on stage, Lee never looks at Ryan. His eyes are fixed on the camera. I wish Ryan would yell "Hey, look at me when I am talking to you".

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by legend;3907633;
    First time I've watched the show since about week 3. When did Lee become the judge's choice to win it? Their over-pimping of him tonight was hilarious. Gawd, to listen to them you'd think that he had sung great or something. He was out of tune and straining his voice something terrible. So was Crystal but they've sure toned down their pimping of her. It was so obvious they wanted Casey out tonight. I hope he makes Final 2 just to drive them crazy! Hah!
    I think they see how he has grown. He continues to improve each week and this week he was the best. Crystal was one of my early favorites, but she still sounds the same as her first week.
    Go Lee!!!!!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juls2;3907405;
    Lee was my fave from day one. The growth this season was amazing. And he's humble. No attitude. Never acted like he had this competition in the bag or that he was too cool for it. And tonight, he was stunning! He's had my vote all season and he's definitely got it tonight.

I couldn't agree more. He did fantastic last night. I just hope his fans didn't assume he was safe & not vote
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3907664;
    All that was missing from the Lee major pimpage was fireworks during Hallelujah. Im actually surprised they didn't have homeless kids release doves from cages after he hit his final note.
    Thanks, now I have to clean the coffee off my monitor!

I do agree, that was over the top. Which made it silly instead of poignant, like the song should be. Hell, the whole show last night was silly, IMO. I've pretty much lost interest in this season and who wins. I marginally prefer Crystal over Lee, and both of them over Casey, but I won't shed any tears if neither of them win. I can only hope they do better with the talent next year.

Am I the only one who didn't care about the "Maybe I'm a man" lyrics for Crystal?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3907821;
    A couple of thoughts on this.

First, singing "woman" changes the rhythm at a crucial point in the song. You can't just throw in extra notes, and even if you did - because of where it falls in the bar, the emphasis would fall on the second syllable, (woMAN instead of WOman), which makes it an even worse fit. If you use "girl", "lady", or some other gender appropriate noun, you kill the rhyme scheme.

Second, Crystal didn't pick this song. It's not any kind of personal statement. Ellen handed her a rock classic, and Crystal sang the hell out of it. (In my opinion.) Singing the lyric as written was a compromise - but a valid choice that preserved the catchy chorus which made the song a hit.

Obviously it didn't work for everybody, which is understandable. But in my view Ellen put Crystal in a no-win situation with that lyric. Crystal decided to rise above the gender agreement issue, and err on the side of respecting Sir Paul's lyric. Personally, I can get behind that decision.
    I mentioned in an earlier post that you can maybe slip in one "woman" but not 5. That song is very gender specific and she really didn't have a choice unless she completely left out that part and she couldn't. She did sing the hell out of it, I agree. I just thought Ellen made the poor choice to give that song to a woman. IT is a lovely song and just can't be changed up.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3907811;
    Some of you really called it when you said that the judges perhaps think that Lee will be more in the mold of the AI they want, thus the overwhelming pimpage of the kid in the last week or two. Crystal is herself and probably will not bend much to be other than herself.
    I think this is an astute observation!...Even Simon said last night..."You have remained true to yourself throughout this competition"...could be the kiss of death..we shall see

I still can't figure out why I don't care for Lee. I thought he worked harder last night in his performances, but I still don't care for him. Maybe it is what a poster upthread said and that he is just too sad acting. He does act mopey and I don't care that. I also don't find his voice interesting. I am interested in hearing Crystal and Casey. I think they can evolve and create music that I would like to hear down the road. That is not the case with Lee.

I can't help but wonder if Casey and Crystal don't really want to win the thing. It's not as great as you think and might not help them as much as they would want. Just saying. I'm not going to be too hyped about who wins. If it's Lee, I think he will follow pretty much in the footsteps of those winners who have not fared so well. I think Crystal winning will be expected and if Casey won it would be a real shocker! Hey, I was shocked last year when Adam didn't win. LOL

Crystal's Maybe I'm Amazed was pretty good. I think she was nervous and that effected her voice. Casey was too unconcerned with his first song. He's old enough to pick better songs.

+ Reply to Thread