+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

I didn't post last night because I am fighting a cold and only opened my eyes for the actual performances and then switched right over to Lost.
    Casey - Sad. Just sad. He sold his soul with Mrs. Robinson, so there's nothing left for him to give. Pretty boy.
    Crystal - I love me some Crystal, but the time limitation on the songs hurt her first choice, and Ellen shot her in the foot. "Maybe I'm a man, maybe I'm a man, maybe I'm a man..." - What?
    Lee - Really? After Jason Castro sang Hallelujah, I listened to every possible version on youtube. Reading here that Simon has the rights makes it make some sense that he would give it to Lee ($$$), but the dear boy doesn't have the depth. Listen to Buckley or K.D. Lang and then listen to Lee's schmaltz. The choir was over the top. If Simon staged it, I cry "foul". Maybe Lee WOULD make a better idol if you cast your mind back to some of the others holding that title.
    Sour grapes, maybe, but Crystal going now or second might be best for her. If I were playing the prediction game, I would go out on a limb and say she's going tonight. Casey's fanbase may go rabid, and the judges have told us that Lee has won. Crystal's performances tonight were not, either one, a "moment" (how I've grown to hate THAT word!).
    Count your blessings!

I was motivated to vote last night for the first time this season. I thought they were all good, but my votes went to Lee. I love Crystal and I've wanted her to win since the beginning, but I've also liked Lee and I thought last night he just blew both songs out of the water. I know there's a lot of dislike of Lee on this board, but I don't get it, because I love his voice.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I thought Lee won hands down, just based on last night's performances. No one came close to his talent.
    All of my votes went to Lee. Love his raw kind of husky-sounding voice.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Well, I might be in the minority, but I thought Casey did a strong job on both his songs. He was in good voice, had lovely phrasing and did justice to the lyrics and music. I think the judges underestimated him, again. And Kara dissed Casey by saying his audience was limited to females, cutting out half the population. I think men appreciate Casey's talented blues sensibility as much as women do. But, the judges/producers want a Crystal/Lee finale, so they did everything they could to get that.

Crystal: Great performance of "Maybe I'm Amazed," and I thought she handled the "man" lyric issue well-- by singing with conviction and dressing in a masculine manner. She still deserves to win.

Lee: Well, Randy and Simon just were not believable with their effusive praise of Lee. The judges were told to praise Lee by the producers to try to ensure a Lee/Crystal finale, but the judges sounded fake to me. There is no way Lee was an "artist" last night. The first song was forgettable, and Lee butchered "Hallejuah," draining the delicate poignancy from this classic song by turning it into a Broadway/gospel chorus nightmare.
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

The whole "man" issue was a tough one..... it is really hard to change a song that is so gender specific... sure you can slip in one woman but 5 "womans"? IT kind of took the feeling away from the song for me. But really what could she do? She sang it wonderfully, I just wish it had been a different song (and I adore that song).
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3907785;
    Lee: Well Randy and Simon just were not believable with their effusive praise of Lee. The judges were told to praise Lee by the producers to try to ensure a Lee/Crystal finale, but the judges sounded fake to me. There is no way Lee was an "artist" last night. The first song was forgettable, and Lee butchered "Hallejuah," draining the delicate poignancy from this classic song by turning it into a Broadway/gospel chorus nightmare. ---
    Okay, I thought they were justtified because I thought Lee was awesome. I guess maybe its all a matter of taste? I could have done without the choir, but they were easy to filter out.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3907789;
    The whole "man" issue was a tough one..... it is really hard to change a song that is so gender specific... sure you can slip in one woman but 5 "womans"? IT kind of took the feeling away from the song for me. But really what could she do? She sang it wonderfully, I just wish it had been a different song (and I adore that song).
    I agree libgirl..I think she sang the song well but everytime she sang "I'm a man"..I winced a bit. As for the night in general, I think Lee was the best of the night, he had confidence, sang well, and certainly has "his moment"...

Quote Originally Posted by Misty;8723;
    I was motivated to vote last night for the first time this season. I thought they were all good, but my votes went to Lee. I love Crystal and I've wanted her to win since the beginning, but I've also liked Lee and I thought last night he just blew both songs out of the water.
    I have to agree with this post...I too have been a strong Crystal fan but voted last night..for Lee.. I felt that he was the best of the night, he brought his "A" game and although I think Crystal is a hugh natural talent and has been the most consitant of the bunch, I still think Lee stole the show.

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3907795;
    I agree libgirl..I think she sang the song well but everytime she sang "I'm a man"..I winced a bit. As for the night in general, I think Lee was the best of the night, he had confidence, sang well, and certainly has "his moment"...

I have to agree with this post...I too have been a strong Crystal fan but voted last night..for Lee.. I felt that he was the best of the night, he brought his "A" game and although I think Crystal is a hugh natural talent and has been the most consitant of the bunch, I still think Lee stole the show.
    I have to admit to wincing too! I kept thinking "sing woman!"!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fan

I still think Crystal deserves to win (or reach the Final 2) based on the long string of good performances she's given over the season.

FORT Fogey

Some of you really called it when you said that the judges perhaps think that Lee will be more in the mold of the AI they want, thus the overwhelming pimpage of the kid in the last week or two. Crystal is herself and probably will not bend much to be other than herself. I think when she pulled out the harmonica, she was making a statement. We were back to the original Simon statement that he could hear a hundred of her in the subway stations. I wasn't thrilled to see her outfit or the harmonica because the sense of her NOT growing or changing was evident. To her, that may be important...but not sure America bought it.

+ Reply to Thread