+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

First time I've watched the show since about week 3. When did Lee become the judge's choice to win it? Their over-pimping of him tonight was hilarious. Gawd, to listen to them you'd think that he had sung great or something. He was out of tune and straining his voice something terrible. So was Crystal but they've sure toned down their pimping of her. It was so obvious they wanted Casey out tonight. I hope he makes Final 2 just to drive them crazy! Hah!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by legend;3907633;
    First time I've watched the show since about week 3. When did Lee become the judge's choice to win it? Their over-pimping of him tonight was hilarious. Gawd, to listen to them you'd think that he had sung great or something. He was out of tune and straining his voice something terrible. So was Crystal but they've sure toned down their pimping of her. It was so obvious they wanted Casey out tonight. I hope he makes Final 2 just to drive them crazy! Hah!

Spot on. I guess they've just decided he's the most marketable. He's got that Nickelback gruffness that's all over the radio these days. Unfortunately, he's also got a very limited vocal range and hasn't been able to stay on key through a single performance all season. It's really well past time to stop calling this show a singing competition.

FORT Fogey

A quote from a friend:

All that was missing from the Lee major pimpage was fireworks during Hallelujah. Im actually surprised they didn't have homeless kids release doves from cages after he hit his final note. Simon, we get it! Lee is a just poor paint store employee with a heart of gold, who really really deserves a break.

FORT Fogey

I think they dumped Crystal after it became clear that she wasn't going to step it up. She was just going to do her own thing and coast along. Where is the excitement in that? Lee has progressed. He is still mediocre but mediocrity is the most exciting thing this season has had going for it.

Yawn Snooze Wow I lost my Big Mike over Casey. Humph and they called Mike Cheesy I am still peeling the cheese from tonight's show off the bottom of my feet..
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3907664;
    A quote from a friend:
    All that was missing from the Lee major pimpage was fireworks during Hallelujah. Im actually surprised they didn't have homeless kids release doves from cages after he hit his final note. Simon, we get it! Lee is a just poor paint store employee with a heart of gold, who really really deserves a break.
    Hahaha! That is funny.

May be the producers chose Lee to pimp the hell out because he looks like he will do everything they want him to do post-idol. Crystal on the other hand will never do anything they want her to do unless she herself wants to do it. Casey is a toss-up. He looks like he could be unpredictable and unreliable.

FORT Fogey

There are a lot of people who think the producers never wanted Adam Lambert to win and there are a ton of people who will say that winning the show isn't what is best for Crystal. They are all either delusional or liars. If these people really don't want Crystal to win because AI will taint her career, then why are they voting for her?
    I think the judges and the producers have noticed that Lee is the popular one. They are jumping on the bandwagon because Crystal's ship is sinking. They don't want egg on their face like last season.
    If we are talking about post-idol success, there isn't one of the three who is really current. The Hot 100 charts are dominated by pop, r&b, and hip hop. People aren't buying whole albums anymore and huge artists aren't even going platinum anymore. So it doesn't seem like these kids will be competitive in the real world.

Mike's performance on David Letterman was better than the ish that was performed on AI tonight.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm still on the Lee Love Train. I did like Jason's version better, but I thought Lee did a good job with it. I'll buy his album as soon as it drops. I don't get all gaga over Janis, Frank, or Melissa Ethridge. It's just not the kind of music I listen to. I like Indie and alternative and Lee (and Didi, whom I loved) fit those categories. I can't deny that Crystal is wonderful and talented, but I don't like her brand of music. Not sure Casey fits my style either. So for me, it's Lee all the way!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

May18, 2010: The Top Three

1. Crystal Bowersox. Strange night. I thought Crystal would disappear inside Melissa Etheridge’s Come to My Window, a song tailor-made for what she does (pop blues), but she didn’t. Don’t know if you guys remember her, but Kimberly Caldwell did it better. Crystal’s version was noisy (why all the screaming?), too sharp; too cluttered and rushed, and way too fast (why double time?). Contestants can do what they want with these compositions, but for a rock purist like me, it would have worked better let alone; as the slow rock ballad it was meant to be. Her second song wasn’t much better; a carbon copy of the first; too much screaming; vocally undisciplined; and forced. Paul McCartney is so precise; a very disciplined singer; handles his lyric like a precious jewel. Crystal never found the heart of this song, so never connected with these lyrics; she was detached throughout. Of course, I could say the same about all of these performances, but that's become a broken record. Based on her early work, I think Crystal is a good singer and an artist, but none of that has been on display lately. This was another very difficult night for me. I don’t know where it all went wrong but my heart's just not in it any more. Because there are no great singers and no great entertainers this season, it makes for a difficult watch and an even more difficult listen. And even though the judges have obviously decided to promote Lee Dewyze, Crystal is in my opinion, the best singer in this competition, so remains #1.
    2. Lee Dewyze. The judges loved it. I didn’t. As a Southern blues rock fanatic and a die–hard Lynard Skynard fan, I was more annoyed than anything. It’s a great song and deserved a better fate. Lee’s Simple Man was vastly inferior to the original; lacking in authenticity; sensitivity, and believability. I was reminded of a little kid reciting a poem before his teacher. The second song, Hallelujah was equally contrived. Anyone who’s heard this done well, Damien Rice, Jeff Buckley; to name a few, will know its meaning, it's power; and its ability to touch. Lee is a good singer but not here, not this song. I didn’t believe a word of it. If you want to see it done right, with masterful vocal styling, and honest, heart-felt emotion, watch Stan Walker, the 2010 Australian Idol winner. Dude absolutely nailed this song; his version will touch your soul and reduce you to tears.
    Lee doesn’t scream as much as he used too; he’s getting better at sharing the stage with his lyric. And while I think he possesses the sensitivity on some level; feels his music; he just doesn’t have the vocal discipline or tonal integrity for a song that relies so heavily on emotion and vocal expression. Both Lee’s songs are singer songs; both require deep emotional investment, vocal discipline, and the ability to project from within. Lee has very soulful eyes and projects and reflects himself very well. Perhaps in time he’ll learn to do the same with his music, but right now, he simply can’t do that consistently. I’m sorry but after eight seasons of quality performances on the AI stage, I’m spoiled; used to better, especially from the top three, the best of the best, and it’s simply not there this season. Sorry, but it had to be said.
    3. Casey James. First, I disagree vehemently with the judges. There’s nothing wrong with Eric Hutchinson’s OK, It’s Alright With Me. Eric is a live wire that juxtaposes traditional catchy pop songs against somber and sad lyrics (in this case, a bouncy melody with a great hook about a relationship on its last legs). That’s his shtick and he’s never going to change. Casey picked a good song but has neither the vocal prowess nor the entertainment capital to do it justice. Plus, the song works better with acoustic piano and high-hat (could be computer-programmed percussion on the original; don’t know). Even though Casey is the best guitarist I’ve ever seen on Idol, Eric’s compositions are written for piano and don't translate to guitar very well, so Casey’s guitar was actually more a distraction than complement. The second song was just awful. John Mayer proved himself a horrible and insensitive human being in his personal life, but is an unparalleled pop singer and a magnificent songwriter. Daughters is a beautiful ballad, but not for Casey. He doesn’t have the chops , musical sensitivity, or musical intelligence for artistic compositions, and is apparently incapable of projecting an honest emotion on stage. I’ve seen all the AI tours but have no plans to watch this one. Unless drastic changes are made between now and the start, both the AI tour and the gate receipts will be a difficult sell.

I Feel Bad: It really breaks my heart to watch my favorite show suffering and struggling like this. AI is cyclic; some years are great; some are very good; so I don’t think we’ll get another season like this for awhile. These are good kids. I like them. I wish them the best. None of this is their fault. They didn’t pick themselves. The judges and producers picked them. The kids are just trying to get a foot in the door, establish a career, and earn a good living doing what they love. They are doing the best they can. Still, I can’t recall a season as troubled, dull, and uninteresting as this. You want to know something funny. The dude that got kicked off, Alex Lambert, turned out to be the best of them all. Dude is now swinging with real purpose, heart, and soul.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-19-2010 at 05:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread