+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

Re: 5/18 Show Performance *Spoilers*

I've never been a Lee person, although I never disliked him, either. But tonight I think he totally trounced the other two.

That said, I just put in 60+ votes for Crystal, because I want her in the final next week after a truly amazing season. It just wouldn't be right if she weren't one of the top two after all the outstanding performances she's given us.

I'm assuming the other one will be Lee, and Casey will depart.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffy;3907384;
    Hallelujah, for me, will always belong to Jason Castro. I loved it when he sang it. Lee did well to but . . .
    I agree...that song is Jason's!
    Ain't Love Grand!

And away we go.....

1. Casey, his pick - Okay, It's Alright With Me - Never heard this song and I am not sure I like it. (awww he looked sad after the judges talked )

2. Crystal, her pick - Come To My Window - excellent choice. She is sounding great...this is why she should win.

3. Lee, his pick - Simple Man - I like this. He is rocking it.

4. Casey, judges pick (Randy and Kara)- Daughters - (I can't stand John Mayer) I like this...good choice.

5. Crystal, judges pick (Ellen) - Maybe I'm Amazed - love it. Oh yeah, great choice Ellen. She sounds great.

6. Lee, judges pick (Simon) - Hallelujah - Oh yeah, good choice. He sounds great (although I think this song should be banned from Idol's books)

Casey will go home tomorrow leaving us with a Lee/Crystal final.

I know this has been said, but someone really needs to tell Kara that Ellen is not a guy. That drives me nuts.
    Last edited by dagwood; 05-18-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3907326;
    Shut up, Kara. Shutupshutupshutup.
    Amen to that, waywyrd. I am so sick of her.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

I haven't seen it yet. I am not too interested in the rest of the season since it seems like it is already written. Casey goes tonight and Lee wins next week. 2 dud idols in a row. I'll probably vote next week just so I can say that I did. I am over this season. I've been over this season.
    I really doubt that Lee did well. I just think Crystal has not progressed and Lee has. I think that Crystal is just not exciting. Lee is relatively exciting. If I were voting tonight, I'd vote for Casey because well, why not?

Personally I don't get the comparison of Lee to Chris. I just don't see it. I didn't dislike Chris, but I wasn't a fan of his voice. I like Lee's voice and it doesn't sound anything like Chris's to me. I much preferred Adam and still can't believe he didn't win.

I love Crystal, but I don't think she's putting her all into the show and it feels like she doesn't really care if she wins, which I can understand. There's a lot more freedom if you don't win to do what you want to.

I feel like Lee has grown a lot in his confidence and performance and is really giving it his all. I also like his type of voice. His shyness, but having the desire to overcome it to perform reminds me a lot of one of my sons. Therefore I hope he wins, but I won't be disappointed if Crystal does.

Last year I cared a lot more about who would win, and when Adam didn't it made me sad.

FORT Fogey

The good news is that I think everyone gave us an strong interpretation of who they are as musical artists. The bad news is that no one really blows me away - but maybe that's just me. Let's summarize, and then get to the individual songs. Here's my Top Three power list (where I think they are in voting power):
    • Crystal - Lee had a better night, but I think Crystal still has both the stronger fan base and Lee is handicapped by his idiosyncratic vocal style. Crystal had a good night; people will be remembering Maybe I’m Amazed is her stronger performance. Without the guitar, she showed that she can be the classic Idol singer, as well as a genuine blues singer.
    • Lee - Lee's Simple Man was confident, if a tad obscure. But his Hallelujah was an all-out Idol moment. Easily the highlight of the night. His fan base continues to grow - but his ability to win over casual voters is limited by the fact that many can't get over his lazy relationship with pitch.
    • Casey - Casey did well, but let's face it, even at his best he's not an Idol performer. He's personable, good looking, good voice, great guitar player - but he's made for clubs, not the Nokia Theater. He would have had to have had a game changer like Kris Allen's Heartless up his sleeve to upset the Top 2, but it just wasn't there.

On to the songs, with a letter grade for tonight's performance:

Casey James C+
    “OK It’s Alright With Me” by Eric Hutchinson
    This was very good - it showed just how Casey sees himself as an artist and it had a smooth - easy Blues feel. And if tonight was a fight to get in to, say, the Top Ten and not the Finale it would have been fine. But on a night when Casey is trying to come from behind and make a play for the finale, it was much too small a moment. Casey fans will be pleased, but I don't think this is going to woo many new folks on board the Casey express.

Crystal Bowersox B
    “Come To My Window” by Melissa Ethridge
    First, the harmonica is a mistake. It gets in the way of the performance and adds little to the overall package. Now the song itself is a good choice and gives Crystal something to really wail on. However, she seems a bit disconnected from the audience. Her eyes are closed through a lot of it, and other times she's concentrating on the harmonica or guitar. Very good; not great.

Lee DeWyze A-
    “Simple Man ” by Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Lee continues to grow as a performer, and this is a great song for him. His voice is an acquired taste, but there's no denying the confidence he exudes. Tonight he's better than Crystal in that department. He really bends out that final note, starting flat and then finally at the last moment bringing it up to pitch (which is going to drive a lot of folks crazy). I have to agree with the judges: while each contestant chose a song that well represented their musical point of view, it was Lee's performance that was the most dynamic and assured. Whether his vocal style/flaws (take your pick) cancels any of that out will be up to each listener to judge.

Casey James B-
    “Daughters” by John Mayer
    Randy and Kara pick this recent (by Idol standards) hit by Mayer. Casey takes this and does a great job maximizing it for him. He takes a risk and slows it down, and strips the instrumentation down to guitar and piano. This is probably the best vocal he has ever done on the show. It's a sensitive and original interpretation of the song. But... this is an awfully small moment for such a crucial juncture in his Idol path. While it shows Casey to his best advantage, it's not very buzz-worthy. So, as with the first song, it's unlikely that a mass of new voters are going to be jumping over to Casey's side. However, if he leaves tomorrow, he can go with his head held high knowing that he left at the top of his game.

Crystal Bowersox A
    “Maybe I’m Amazed” by Paul McCartney
    Crystal leaves the instruments behind gives a pure rock performance. (Shades of Allison from last year!) Good choice, because it corrects a lot of the performance problems from the first number. She's strong, in good voice, and connected to the material. I would still like to see a little more connection to the audience, so it feels more like she's singing to us instead of to herself, but other than that a great job.

Lee DeWyze A+
    “Hallelujah”
    It's been said before, this is an almost indestructible song. The melody, the chords, the lyric - it's really a masterpiece of pop songwriting. The down side is that it's been covered by everybody, including Tim Urban several weeks ago on this stage. (He was fine on it, BTW.) So how was Lee? That's not altogether an easy question to answer. I had to watch this three times to clear away all the strings, lights, stairs, and choir and just focus on what Lee was doing. My verdict - Lee was really solid on this. He took the song back to its original Leonard Cohen raspy folk-rock roots, which is a perfect fit for his own vocal style. Once again, it's a distinctive style that won't appeal to everyone. But this is Lee at his Idol best. Back to the performance as a whole, this was a showy X-Factor-like staging of the material. The disadvantage to doing it this way is that you loose the vulnerability that Jeff Buckley and even Jason Castro brought to it. However, the advantage is that the big production works much better as a 90 second Idol show stopper. In Idol terms, this is the best version ever done on the show, in that it fits the format and purpose.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.

FORT Fan

Casey's first song - Just rushes through the lyrics, shows no range, grins throughout the song like a looney.

Crystal's first song - Vocally nothing wrong. But the song never took off. An all out power song like Melissa's is a bad choice for Crystal. A mid-range composition with a lot of subtlelty and occasional glory notes is what Crystal does best.

Lee's first song - Not bad for Lee. He does show growth. But growth over himself, not others.

Casey's second song - Does the song have a melody or was Casey out of tune, actually tuneless. Just reciting the words for 90 percent of the song. No connection with the lyrics whatsoever. Come to think of it Casey never has connected with the lyrics all season.

Crystal's second song - Good song choice. Crystal brings down the house, well, almost. The high notes, the expressiveness, this is a good one from Crystal. Have to get the full version from iTunes.

Lee's second song - Not bad at all. Good song choice. Brings out the best of Lee. Not exactly standing ovation worthy. But he gets one from the audience anyway. I think I am looking at this season's winner, if last year is any indication.

Overall, an underwhelming night for a top 3 night. If Crystal goes home tomorrow AI will lose any credibility it has left and probably will not be renewed next year. May be that way I will have the springtime evenings to do some other useful things.
    Last edited by KennyLuv; 05-18-2010 at 11:26 PM.

FORT Fogey

I want to revisit the X-Factoring of Hallelujah for a moment. Last year, Simon stepped in and worked with Adam Lambert on the song he choose for him for Top 3 night: U2's One. Simon feels that it is his prerogative at this point in the season. The other judges can as well, but this is really Simon's chance, for one number, to turn AI into X-Factor where each contestant is coached and produced by a judge.

All of that, just to say this: I consider Hallelujah a Simon Cowell production starring Lee Dewyze. As opposed to the others who, left to their own devices, probably came up with the staging and arrangements themselves. On a critical competition night such as this, this disparity leaves me feeling uneasy.

Last year some complained that Adam Lambert always got the special lighting and stairs on songs like Mad World and Feeling Good, and it wasn't fair to the rest of the contestants. I did not have a problem with that because all those production ideas were Adam's. Any of the others could have gotten the same thing if they had asked or thought of it. But Adam just sees things in theatrical terms, and that's something he brought to the show.

Hallelujah feels different to me because this isn't Lee's aesthetic. Lee doesn't arrange songs in this bombastic style, and he's not one to come up with all the lights and staging. It has been imposed on him - to good effect, without a doubt - but it feels like a very unlevel playing field when Lee has been X-Factored and the others haven't.

Once again, if the Hallelujah arrangement and hoopla was all Lee's idea, then my hat's off to him. Well played! But I have a feeling this was more Simon giving Lee a little Las Vegas showcase.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-19-2010 at 12:10 AM.

TopCatDC, Lee does have it within him, he did do that thing with the Bagpiper. But Simon could very well have had a hand in it.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread