+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 5/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 5/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3900497;
    Well, from my point of view, the season is still "Crystal & Company". The Final Three will be Crystal and two other guys. Which two? I don't care. You pick. They are kind of interchangeable.
    Totally agree with you. As long as Crystal wins, I really don't care who comes in 2nd, 3rd....

Talk about 1-trick pony, though! They should just ban Jamie Foxx from the show altogether. That whole, "in your face" schtick is as old as the "jiggly parts" reference from Neicey on DWTS. What in the world did he really contribute to those folks? A $6.99 T-shirt. Please. What other cheesy motivational exercise was he going to pull out from his hat? I think they should bring back Barry Manilow. I never thought I would write that line, but I remember thinking that he really helped the kids that season. He gave great technical and artistic advice.

Poor Casey, I kinda agree with another comment up-thread: he did remind me of Tiny Tim and his ukelele. Ellen was right - he needed his big boy guitar. I LOVE his guitar playing, though! He's extremely talented. I liked Casey's arrangement better than Michael's or Lee's. Those two really did sound karaoke to me, and I LIKE Lee. I just hope Crystal survives the voting.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3900497;
    I have to say that Lee impressed me on the first verse when he floated up to his falsetto for a few notes. That's more range than we have seen from him all season. Some compalined that he went off key - but I've watched it twice and didn't hear any pitch problems.
    There seems to be a split in the comments here between people who say Lee was off key and people who say he was on. I just went back and watched it again.

And here's the thing - Lee has a style that has a somewhat lazy relationship with pitch. He slides around, which means he will hit the note, and then start sliding over the the next one. For me, I accept that as his style. I know where the note is, so when he hits it I kind of check it off in my mind: "note accomplished". The he starts sliding off to the next one, hitting every tone in between - which of course are technically "off". But he does make it to the right note eventually.

So, if you only count the correct notes, and filter out the other tones as "style", then he is singing on key. On the other hand, if you are expecting him to hit and hold the correct note, and not add any incorrect tones in between, then he is throwing out bum notes all over the place.

So the answer to the question about Lee and pitch problems is "all of the above".

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife;3900535;
    I knew tonight would suck! I can't stand Jamie Foxx.
    Which is why the thought of this possibility makes me almost physically ill:

Jamie Foxx Wants to be an American Idol Judge! | Showbiz Spy - celebrity news, rumors & gossip

Ugh.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3900612;
    Which is why the thought of this possibility makes me almost physically ill:

Jamie Foxx Wants to be an American Idol Judge! | Showbiz Spy - celebrity news, rumors & gossip

Ugh.
    Ugh indeed, Krom, ugh indeed

I wasn't keen on Lee's first performance and I love him. But his duet with Crystal.....I thought he was fantastic. They really sounded good together. My husband is not a Crystal fan at all and he loved it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3900602;
    There seems to be a split in the comments here between people who say Lee was off key and people who say he was on. I just went back and watched it again.

And here's the thing - Lee has a style that has a somewhat lazy relationship with pitch. He slides around, which means he will hit the note, and then start sliding over the the next one. For me, I accept that as his style. I know where the note is, so when he hits it I kind of check it off in my mind: "note accomplished". The he starts sliding off to the next one, hitting every tone in between - which of course are technically "off". But he does make it to the right note eventually.

So, if you only count the correct notes, and filter out the other tones as "style", then he is singing on key. On the other hand, if you are expecting him to hit and hold the correct note, and not add any incorrect tones in between, then he is throwing out bum notes all over the place.

So the answer to the question about Lee and pitch problems is "all of the above".
    Sounds like a drunkard to me! lol! So what you are saying is that Lee's method for hitting the right note is to hit ten variations of that note and hope that one of them is correct? That's nice... eek!

I think I enjoyed Casey and Mike's duet the best. There was something about it that seemed like 2 stars singing together in a duet at the Grammys or something. A lot of the solos were amateur night. Even though this last duet lacked a little bit of polish, they presented themselves in a way that made me believe in them. So good for them!

Lee always had that problem of hitting off-key notes from the very beginning. The judges call it "pitchy on certain parts". I thought he got it together as the weeks went on but this last one just showed that he still was having difficulty. Due to this fact, I hope he doesn't win, although I prefer him in the final 2 over Casey or Mike. Mike is cheesy while Casey overdoes his vibratto. Crystal has the most technically adept vocals of the four and she should therefore win.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I attended the rehearsal on Tuesday, and haven't yet had time to watch the show. This is the first show I will have watched all season... not sure why. I think I've just burned out on these shows for a while... haven't watched DWTS regularly and almost completely sat out SYTYCD. Maybe I'll be back on track for the coming seasons of each. However, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed EVERY performance of this rehearsal. I'm surprised to read the criticisms that I'm seeing here. I didn't hear any pitchiness and, if I had been voting, I would not have been able to choose a single person to vote for. I thought they were all stellar.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

May11, 2010: The Top Four

1. Crystal Bowersox. A song with good entertainment value but also unintelligent, and melodically arid and lyrically uninteresting. Honestly, I got nothing from it, or any of tonight’s performances, but if forced to pick the best, I suppose this would be it. She’s the best singer here, so this is her rightful place. For the record, I like Crystal; but not this performance. Who listens to this stuff?
    2. Casey James. Another uninteresting song choice, but this time, one with absolutely no entertainment value. Worse, both the song and performance got reduced to a bedtime lullaby. I also like Casey, but not this performance. There’s no way this aged, camp fire composition can sustain the momentary attention span and remote controlled fingers of a prime time young adult television audience.
    3. Michael Lynche. This was actually a good song choice. Like Earth song, one of MJ’s better compositions; musically complex and vocally intricate; innovative, lyrical, thoughtful, and message-oriented. MJ was one of the most dynamic entertainers of his or any other generation, and performed it with boundless energy, rhythm, dance, pure joy, and tons of muscle. Unfortunately, Big Mike has neither the chops nor the stage presence to pull it off. Frankly, I was irritated. For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone would pick a song with a beginning, middle, and ending; with whole movements, chapters, verses, and crescendo, and try to package it into two minutes. He was doomed to failure the moment he picked it. Another disclaimer: I also like Big Mike but I post honest critiques.
    4. Lee Dewyze. Arguably the worst version of this song I’ve heard on the AI stage. Constantine’s was not great but it was light years better than this. There’s was nothing good about it; Lee was completely disconnected from his lyric, vocally off-key, and boring. I have no idea what’s wrong with Lee. There are nights when he’s absolutely brilliant, others when I just want him to be over; like Jekyll and Hyde. Again, it's not personal. I never go there. My comments are limited to what I see on stage. I actually like Lee very much.

This was not a good night for me, and I suspect these are not good times for Idol. It’s not so much these kids can’t sing. The problem is the judges picked too many mediocre singers this season and refuse to re-structure the format to fit their talent. These guys are not entertainers. For chrissakes, let them pick their own songs instead of handcuffing them to uninteresting, old school, anachronistic themes like Movie Night and Big Band. If the themes can’t change, at least force the contestants to pick songs that are interesting and/or emotional with real entertainment value and a contemporary appeal. Jeez, pick a movie song from this decade at least! For the first time in nine years, I’m losing interest and patience.

Who among you thought Ellen would turn out to be the best thing about season nine? I certainly didn’t. I don’t agree with her critiques at all but she’s funny (I might have to start watching her show); the only person on AI9 to put a smile on this loyal (but disappointed) face.

The Best Idol Rockers Around The World
    (For Idol Rock fanatics out there, I found these great rock performances on this and other Idol shows around the globe and thought you might like them too.)

1. The Evil That Men Do (via Iron Maiden)------Ari Koivunen (Finnish Idol, winner, 2007), Those who know and love this trash metal Iron Maiden classic will be shocked to hear this interpretation. Ari’s is acoustic, haunting, contemporary, with strong emous; a ballad that, although unexpected, works on every level; a vocal masterpiece and a stunning performance!
    2. Whipping Post (via The Allman Brothers Band)-----Bo Bice (American Idol, runner-up, 2005). Best rock performance ever on the AI stage; dude sacrificed both his heart and soul for this one special night, and left us a lasting memory.
    3. Soldier of Fortune (via Deep Purple)-----Peter Cmorik (Slovakian Idol, winner, 2006). Arguably the best musician and singer of them all; an authentic rocker with intimate knowledge of music theory and intuitive and innate understanding of the nuances of rock music. One of the best rock performances ever on the Idol stage.
    4. Perfect Strangers (via Deep Purple)------Ari Koivunen (Finnish Idol, winner, 2007). A flawless cover of this Deep Purple classic, from one of the best hard rock/metal Idol contestants ever. Unusual for many hard/metal rockers, Ari is blessed with perfect pitch, musicality, and beautiful tone.
    5. Sex On Fire (via Kings of Leon)-------Mark Spano (Australian Idol, 3rd place, 2008). I have many but Mark is probably my favorite Aussie contestant. A song that fit him like a glove; a lyric he was born to sing; from Aussie Idol's biggest tease artist.
    6. Whole Lotta Love (via Led Zeppelin)-----Adam Lambert (American Idol, 2009, runner-up). A genuine and accurate heavy metal song on the ultra-conservative American Idol stage; never thought I’d live to see the day; a powerful tour-de-force stage performance from the unstoppable and irrepressible Adam Lambert; the best entertainer to ever set foot on the AI stage.
    7. Stone, Cold Sober (via Paloma Faith)-----Haley Warner (Australian Idol, 2009, runner-up, 2010). A sassy, sexy, cover of this Palomoa Faith classic, with just enough hard rock and urban hip-hop to make it unique and memorable; a very entertaining performance from another of my favorite Aussie rockers.
    8. Space Oddity (via David Bowie) )-----Jacob Hoggard (Canadian Idol, 3rd place, 2004). A strange, authentically glam and very bold Bowie-esque performance from the highly entertaining Jacob Hoggard; one that left the judges, audience, and viewers in shock; eyes popping and tongues wagging for months. Love this dude!
    9. Cry, Baby (via Janis Joplin)------- Magdolna Ruzsa (Hungarian Idol winner, 2006). This song is so difficult vocally, only two attempts were made; Allison iraheta and this one. While Allison now absolutely owns this song, it was a dynamic young Hungarian rocker who lit up the Idol stage with it; from a hard-core and edgy young singer that was born to rock. The first half is absolutely perfect.
    10. Behind Blue Eyes (via The Who)-----Thomas Godoj (German Idol, DSDS, winner, 2008). Best cover of this The Who classic I’ve heard; intensely emotional and personal; dude disappears inside these lyrics; a real tear-jerker.
    11. Chasing Cars (via Snow Patrol)-----Thomas Godoj (German Idol, DSDS, winner, 2008). I’ve heard them all and you won’t find a better cover of this Snow Patrol classic anywhere; Thomas is a consummate artist.
    12. Purple Rain (via Prince)----Camillia Temple (New Zealand Idol, 3rd place, 2004). One of the best R&B interpretations of this Prince classic anywhere; Camillia digs in her heels and never lets go; a brilliant performance from one whose body of work deserved a better fate.
    13. With A Little Help From My Friends (via The Beatles)-----Danyl Johnson (X Factor, Britain, 4th place, 2009). Perhaps the most entertaining and powerful cover of this Beatles classic I’ve ever heard (stayed in my head for days), from the very cocky and highly entertaining Danyl Johnson, aka “the most hated man in England”.
    14. Eternal Flame (via The Bangles)------Nathalie Mikila Makoma (Dutch Idol, runner-up, 2008). A hard, gritty, gut-wrenching R&B interpretation of this Bangles classic; never heard, or even dreamt, these light-weight lyrics carried such emotion and power; a fantastic performance.
    15. Nobody Knows (via Pink)-----Lisa Bund (German Idol, DSDS, 3rd place, 2007). Probably the best Pink cover of any Idol; an intense, moving, and beautifully delivered performance, from one of DSDS’ best. Not only a great singer but blessed with a huge stage presence, beauty, and a wonderful elegance.
    16. Nothing Else Matters(via Metallica)------Stan Walker (via Metallica)------(Australian Idol, winner, 2009). A strange, dark, ethereal goth, but highly effective cover of this melodic rock anthem, from a young Aussie with the voice of an angel. If you haven’t heard his masterful and moving version of Miley Cyrus’ The Climb, do, it’s absolutely brilliant.
    17. Done (original song)------Mark Spano (Australian Idol, 3rd place, 2008). Perhaps my favorite Idol audition anywhere; a short but musically intricate, and emotional, original rock composition with a wonderful story line that left me wanting more. I hope to hear the final version one day soon.
    18. Jealous Guy (via John Lennon)-----Casey James (American Idol, 2010). Didn’t expect anything of significance from the AI9 singers, but seemingly out of the depths of despair and complete mediocrity comes this little gem from Casey James; an absolutely sublime cover of this John Lennon rock ballad.
    19. Bohemian Rhapsody (via Queen)-----Constantine Maroulis (American Idol, 6th place, 2005). Also heard every cover; none is even in the same league; Constantine’s is one of the best rock performances ever on the AI stage.
    20. Whiter Shade of Pale (via Procol Harum)------Julien Laurence (French Idol, Nouvelle Star, runner-up, 2004). A very good but not great cover of this Procol Harum classic. Sometimes we just have to accept that some music simply cannot be duplicated, but this was a valiant effort; he did it justice.
    21. Lithium (via Nirvana)-----Peter Evrard (Belgian Idol, Idool, 2003, winner). A very good Nirvana cover that was panned and demeaned by Simon Cowell on World Idol (more proof he doesn’t understand rock and R&B); a brilliant performance from the very talented Peter Evrard.
    22. When You Were Young (via The Killers)------Wes Carr (Australian Idol, 2008, winner). A frenetic, energetic, and electric performance from the live wire known as Wes Carr; a born entertainer who, fortunately for us, absolutely loves to rock.
    23. Purple Rain (via Prince)-----Ruth Lorenzo (X Factor, Britain, 5th place, 2008). Another stunning and powerful cover of this Prince classic from the very sensual and beautiful Ruth Lorenzo.
    24. Here I Go Again (via Whitesnake)-----Glenn Lyse (Norwegian Idol, winner, 2007). An accurate, stylish, and moving cover of this wonderful rock classic.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 05-12-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Apparently I am the only one here with my mind in the gutter. When Casey started strumming his miniature instrument between his legs and the song turns out to be (iintentionally chosen!) Mrs. Robinson... you can't cry sexual harassment. When asked why he chose it, he got a stupid, giggly look on his face and claimed "several reasons" without being specific. C'mon! Reports say he works the women in a room like a seasoned giggilo.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread