Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 5/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 5/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Ellen had me with her "as a matter of fact I have loved a woman"
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

That line from Ellen was applauded in our house. Hubby was passing through the room and even he laughed.

Enjoyed Lee's performance, which says a lot because I hate that song. I said last week that I could see Crystal having fun with I'm Alright. It wasn't what I had anticipated, but she rocked it.

I think Lee and Crystal are safe and I'm picking Casey (who should have gone home last week) to finally go home this week.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3900228;
    For me they could have kept singing the rest of the hour!
    I'm just now watching the show, and ICAM! I loved it... F2 - Baby!

FORT Fogey

wait, no text voting tonight? I just sent 2 text votes to the 2 different numbers for a contestant, and I got error messages on both! I must not have paid attention well at the end.

eta: false alarm...punched in the numbers incorrectly. Note to self - no texting without glasses!
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-11-2010 at 11:44 PM.

I think the fact that even the judges thought the duets were hands down the best performances of the night says something about the artistic talent of the contestants this season. I like each of these in their own way, but I'm not wowed by any of them week after week and I have begun to care less and less who wins. While I don't deny that Crystal sings well, I don't necessarily care for her rendition in that Janis Joplin tone. Just not my cup of tea, though I realize I am definitely in the minority. I have no idea who will go home, but I think that Lee definitely raised his performance thanks to Crystal and the duet.

I turned it on mute when Lee started. Wow...I think I lost interest again. I missed the entire thing.

Oh well.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fijibeachbum;3900477;
    I think the fact that even the judges thought the duets were hands down the best performances of the night says something about the artistic talent of the contestants this season. I like each of these in their own way, but I'm not wowed by any of them week after week and I have begun to care less and less who wins. While I don't deny that Crystal sings well, I don't necessarily care for her rendition in that Janis Joplin tone. Just not my cup of tea, though I realize I am definitely in the minority. I have no idea who will go home, but I think that Lee definitely raised his performance thanks to Crystal and the duet.
    I totally agree with you. This season lacks the excitement of previous. Yes Crystal has the edge on the others but not a huge edge. I didnt like anyone's solo tonight. The duets were better but still I'm waiting for fireworks, hoping for a 'WOW' and I am only getting 'not bad'. Guess I'm in the minority too!!

FORT Fogey

Well, from my point of view, the season is still "Crystal & Company". The Final Three will be Crystal and two other guys. Which two? I don't care. You pick. They are kind of interchangeable for me. In general everyone did well, though no one tore up the night with an out and out amazing performance, though Crystal came the closest. Casey was the weakest; Mike and Lee were equally good for me. This usually means it becomes a fan base war. I'm sure Lee and Crystal will be well protected by fans; but both Mike and Casey have done a fair amount of time in the bottom. Who has the stronger fans? I haven't a clue. Mike was actually voted off early on. On the other hand he has been singing well. Casey was terrible last week, but apparently has enough supporters to carry him to safety. This will be interesting.

Below are how I rate tonight's performances. They are listed in performance order with a letter grade for how well I think they did tonight.

Lee DeWyze – B
    “Kiss From A Rose” by Seal from Batman Forever
    I have to say that Lee impressed me on the first verse when he floated up to his falsetto for a few notes. That's more range than we have seen from him all season. Some compalined that he went off key - but I've watched it twice and didn't hear any pitch problems. When he gets to the chorus, though, he abadons the melody and takes a lower harmony. Overall a good performance. Lee definitely gets the "most improved" award for the season. Barring a fan base war, we should see him in the finale.

Michael Lynche – B
    “Will You Be There” by Michael Jackson from Free Willy
    He starts off really low, which does nothing for him. Fortunately he got off those bass notes quickly and moved up an octave where he vocally stronger. While Mike doesn't really give us anything new in this arrangement, I have to give him props for taking the MJ arrangement head on and coming out looking good. That is very difficult to do, and he pulls it off. He and Casey are fighting for that third spot, and since "The Save" Mike has been a consistently strong vocalist, even though as a performer he is not everyone's favorite.

Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze – B-
    “Falling Slowly” by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová from Once
    Full disclosure: Kris Allen had me in a puddle of tears last year with his rendition of this song - so I've got my skeptic's hat on as I watch these two take on this Oscar winning ballad. And I have to say, they are fine on it. They bring up the tempo, add the band, and do a fun power ballad trading lines. However, it leaves me empty. There is so much in this lyric, and they pretty much throw the words away. It feels like empty calories to me.

Casey James – C+
    "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkle from The Graduate
    I don't know what Casey is thinking. He desperately needs another "Broken Man" moment, and he gives us a campfire version of of the S&G classic. He sings it with great sincerity, but the song is meant to be ironic and cynical. This rendition has all the substance of a hot sticky s'more. Why not do "Sounds of Silence" from the same movie? A lot more substance there. Anyway, it is a very small moment and not the rocket booster Casey needs to get into the Top Three.

Crystal Bowersox – A
    “I’m Alright” by Kenny Loggins from Caddyshack
    Hmm, ya think the girl is trying to send us a message? Is this a great piece of material? No - but it's particularly appropriate for Crystal and she gives a it a funky blues-rock spin. Great job on the vocals; overall wonderful performance. Mamasox is back!

Casey James and Michael Lynche – B-
    “Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman” by Bryan Adams from Don Juan DeMarco
    What lifts this piece up from the level of "wedding performance" is Michael's soulful vocal and Casey's masterful guitar playing. What could have been a bland disaster turned in to a lovely moment. I guess that is the "glass half full" point of view. Some could just as easily slam Casey's weak vocals and Mike's so-so guitar - but as a whole I thought it worked.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-12-2010 at 12:05 AM.

FORT Fan

Lee - Picked a nice and very familiar song and ruined the melody. If you can't sing a composition the way it was composed then sing something else. There are at least two reasons why the notes are put together a certain way. One is for beauty and the other for the feeling/mood. When you kill the melody the beauty, the feeling and the mood are lost. The whole purpose of the song is lost.

Mike - Flawless vocals, but it seemed like Mike was trying to intensify the song too much. MJ's soft vibe was missing. I guess it was Mike's take on the song. So, kudos for the interpretation.

Casey - Just go back to rocking with the guitar, repeating the same line of the lyrics sixty times. This sitting-down sensitive rendition only highlights all the limitations in Casey's voice.

Crystal - Crystal again proves that she is Crystal. Best performance of the night, way above the rest. But I did feel like she was trying a little too hard. Wonder if it is the effect of Jamie Foxx's "in your face" mentoring.

Crystal and Lee duet - If you want to know the difference between singing a song (Crystal) and reciting poetry (Lee), this is the best example. A nice side by side comparison.

Casey & Mike duet - Nice guitar work. The vocal sounded unrehearsed. The voices did not gel.

I knew tonight would suck! I can't stand Jamie Foxx.

+ Reply to Thread