+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 5/5 Results Show *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/5 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3895304;
    The issue of Crystal talking back to the judges was brought up in an interview with the Top 5 after their 5/4 Sinatra night show. I love her answer.

'Idol's' Top 5 talk Sinatra night | Idol Tracker | Los Angeles Times

You go girl!
    Ya know, I don't think the judging segments are meant to be dialogue with the cnotestants every week. Some nights, they don't even have time for full judges' comments, and, while I enjoy Crystal's singing very much (and even thought she was wonderful this week, unlike some), I'd prefer that she keep her commentary to herself. Her need to express her opinions, to the judges and in her tweets (maybe all of them are doing it, but hers are the only ones I [I]keep[I] seeing publicized), whether it is a defensive thing or the need to be right or whatever, is off-putting, even to a fan like me, and I don't think it is a flattering quality or wise for her to do it. One needs to be able to hear the opinions and criticisms of others and just accept them graciously sometimes....

Then again, maybe it's just because I'm old, and my generation was raised to not talk basck.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3895323;
    Then again, maybe it's just because I'm old, and my generation was raised to not talk basck.
    As a soon to be 60 year old man born in the south I can assure you I was raised with the same standards but I do not see Crystal's interaction with the judges as "talking back" to them. I believe she is very reverent and respectful in her "conversations" with them, more so than Simon can be in his "conversations" with some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3895325;
    As a soon to be 60 year old man born in the south I can assure you I was raised with the same standards but I do not see Crystal's interaction with the judges as "talking back" to them. I believe she is very reverent and respectful in her "conversations" with them, more so than Simon can be in his "conversations" with some of them.
    Amen to that!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3895114;
    Can we finally kill off the theory that tweens control the Idol voting?

Katie, Tim, and Aaron all gone. Mike, Crystal, Lee and Casey still here. GROWN-UP POWER!
    AMEN!!...when I watch the results last night and saw Casey & Crystal I thought wow..bottom 2..then SURPRISE!!! I actually cheered (sorry Aaron) the last 4 standing (out of the 5) are the 4 most deserving to be there and make a run it for it!

FORT Fogey

I wish they had revealed the B3 last night rather than B2 - it kind le leaves Mike out there on a limb as low man on the totem pole going into F4. And I'm REALLY interested in knowing who was next on the list - assuming it was Casey, but you never know....

Bit I think they would have revealed if it had been Crystal or Lee, just for the drama.

BTW, I thought Aaron sounded great on his way out - wishing him a successful future in country music!

I'm just happy Crystal and Casey are still in it. And yes, Crystal does seem to try to justify her choices, which sounds like she is disagreeing. I don't think it comes of well, but it hasn't hurt her so far. I wonder if the producers instruct them to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3895401;
    I'm just happy Crystal and Casey are still in it. And yes, Crystal does seem to try to justify her choices, which sounds like she is disagreeing. I don't think it comes of well, but it hasn't hurt her so far. I wonder if the producers instruct them to do that.
    Yep. I am dying to see Crystal and Casey jam with their guitars as the final 2.

But I love Crystal's conversations with the judges. There have been so many times I have shouted at the TV over the years when the AI judges have complained that some talented contestent didn't sound as awesome as he did the week before because he chose a "smaller" song. These contestants must make choices to vary the tone, pace and intensity of their performances each week to stay fresh. This is especially true of the popular ones, because they are onstage for many, many weeks. So when Crystal tells judges that it's okay to do a "small" song instead of an intense one, or explains why she needed to vary her pace within a particular song, she's speaking for me, the viewer.

P.S.: The contestants are indeed strongly encouraged by the producers to talk to the judges. In past years, this has resulted in some nonsensical huffing on the part of the dumber contestants, producing drama that the producers have loved. In Crystal's case, she's polite, informative and enthusiastic, and I've noticed that the judges have been pretty respectful of her "conversations" with them.
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fan

Crystal was my early favorite, but the last few weeks Lee has just grown and gained confidence.
    I see them as the final two, but my choice to win would be Lee.
    Crystal is not being snappy in her replies, she is just stating her view.
    I also like Casey, but he is suffering because the themes are not his type of music.
    Mike to me is boring. All his songs sound exactly the same. The day after the show, I cannot remember what he sang, only how he was dressed.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Count me as one who doesn't think Crystal is guilty of "back talk". That kind of thing was frowned upon in our house too. Don't think it's a matter of where you were raised, as I am a Yankee through and through. Living in the South now and raising my daughter here and she knows how to voice her opinion without being disrespectful.

With the Idol judging panel, it has long been "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

If Crystal stood there silently, she'd be accused (and no, I don't think that is too strong of a word) of having no personality. She'd also probably be told she didn't have the chops to make it in the industry.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Regular

I am glad to see Casey still around. I like him more than Big Mike. I am hoping for a Casey, Lee and Crystal in the top 3 with Lee and Crystal duking it out for the win. As for Crystal back-talking to the judges, sorry, I don't see it that way. First of all she was asked a question, what's the girl to do but answer. I actually find her confidence refreshing. And her answers are always respectful. When you are an Idol, you need to be able to handle yourself in the media and I think Crystal already has the skill, like Adam Lambert to handle interviews.

+ Reply to Thread