+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 5/4 Show discussion *Spoilers*

Well, I just watched last night's show, and let me begin by saying, "I'm just wild about Harry" ... maybe they should do that as a group sing tonight? Seriously, they will probably do "My WaY".

So, after watching, I think I will agree with most and disagree with some here. The consensus seems to be Crystal and Lee for F2 and I totally agree with that. The fact that that seems to be the majority here, especially on a fan site like this really says something --- I think.

In order:

Lee: Definitely, Best of the night. The only thing I didn't like was the very beginning where he was sitting on the bench with Harry. Lee's song clip also seemed to me to be somehow shorter than the others. I do agree with Ellen and Kara ... that he could win this thing ... and no "pimping" involved. Lee has the voice and continues to grow steadily in confidence and performance skills.

Crystal In second place, which I think was earned by the song choice and that we are not used to seeing her deliver understated performances. I really wanted her to do "Lady is a Tramp" or even "One for my Baby". She has a great voice and could probably sing the phone book and make it work. Her confidence level is the Polar opposite of Lee's. I think she feels she knows who she is and makes song choices that she feels she can relate to. I don't see her responses as arrogance at all, just artistic discussion. I think she is sometimes surprised that she sees it differently than the judges do.

Aaron Mike ... I have these 2 tied because frankly I didn't think either was that great.
    Aaron has as Harry euphemistically said, a "sweet" voice. So do kindergardeners and choir boys, but they aren't American Idols. I really think he has potential, but at this time the boy has no dimension.
    Mike just bores me and if this is his "wheelhouse", whatever that means, he disappointed with this trite performance. I find his arrogance somewhat offensive. He presents as if he thinks he's a lock, and I don't believe he is.

Casey Poor Casey. I happen to like vibrato in a voice, and didn't think it sounded like a bleating sheep. But, I do think the vibrato is part of his strength and it wasn't well placed or used. He just missed the mark and it didn't work for me.

Now ... about the theme ..It was NOT as ill-chosen as some may think. It actually served to highlight the versatility and strengths of some and the weaknesses of others. These are pure, melodic songs and they had a stellar mentor. They are all young and may not "get it". But all they had to do was trust Harry (and maybe ask their parents and grandparents ) and they all could have nailed it.

Last night's show was at best a barometer of the actual talent this season and at worst, a study in missed opportunity.

Thanks for considering my opinions.
    Last edited by echo226; 05-05-2010 at 01:33 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3894540;
    Regarding last night's performances, I must live on another planet, cuz I liked Casey's performance. I thought he brought his distinct, bluesy personality to the song and I enjoyed it very much.

---
    I didn't think it was bad - a few off notes, but that has been the case with most performers this year on most weeks. They played it on my local radio station this a.m., and it sounded better than I remembered it.

Also, I found it interesting that, since it's said that the judges generally base their comments on dress rehearsal performances - which is why we sometimes say "Did they hear what I just heard?" - the judges all panned Casey, even though HC,Jr. said he was much better in rehearsal. Seemed odd to me that a better performance would have elicited all of the negatives, because that's basically all they gave him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3894565;
    Harry is by far the best mentor they've had on this show, I'd love to see him replace Simon. Great suggestion!

How about we replace Kara with Shania and Randy with Harry and just let Ellen speak every other contestant so she can crack a joke, look adorable, and call somebody great?

Oh and instead of guest performers during results show? We could just have Harry sing (I'm being serious, I'm a huge fan of his music).

I like the way you think!

Also, I've not noticed Lee's small hands, but I did think he looked like he's been pulled out of a ditch after a 3-day drunk last night. The jacket was too small, and those shoes...well, that was just unnecessary. Just don't bother putting on the jacket and tie if you don't mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3894431;
    I'd love to replace those useless lumps of nothingness known as Kara and Randy with somebody like Harry Connick Jr., who has more talent in his pinky than Kara will ever possess. I'm so sick of her nasty, smug comments (yeah, Casey sucked last night, but comparing his vibrato to a sheep is hardly constructive) and Randy's incessant "Yo, dawg" and teeth sucking. At the very least, Harry should be brought back to mentor every year. He's incredible.

Loved Crystal and Lee last night! If they aren't final two, I'll be so disappointed. Casey I like, but he tanked last night. He's just not that versatile. Aaron bores. And I can't bear to listen to "I sound the same every freakin' week" Mike and his lack of enunciation. I usually change the channel when he's on.

Yep! After watching this morning, I'll underscore what I said last night.

[B]And from what you are saying about HCJ, maybe they should try to recruit him as a permanent mentor ... or even a judge.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

I really hate to say this about Harry. He was a good mentor! He was a great mentor BUT I think the reason that he was so good is because he's not really, eh, in demand. We had Alicia Keys, Usher, Miley, Adam... they are all promoting other things right now. They are all over the place. I know that Harry is in the middle of a tour or he's on break from a tour or something BUT this is really huge for him. I'm not exactly sure how to say it without making it seem like Miley Cyrus is more important than Harry Connick Jr. That certainly isn't the case! I'm saying he had the time and desire to approach this as a project. The others used Idol as an opportunity to promote themselves.
    So in conclusion, most mentors don't have the time to mentor and it is a wasted week. AI should only have mentors if the mentors are really willing to mentor.

FORT Fogey

Harry Connick, Jr. is one of those rare stars whose only or primary concern is not necessarily his own fame or fortune. His past actions would suggest that this is so.

I think he was a wonderful mentor and really strikes me as a decent funny guy! I want him back again!

And yes they probably will group sing "My Way"!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I have to agree that Harry is wonderful! He was a terrific mentor and for the most part, his advice worked for the contestants.

I hated Lee during the audition phase. I was pissed when he made it through Hollywood week but by week 3 I was digging him. After last night, I want him to win the whole thing. I thought he was great. He really came out of his shell and he looked like he was having fun. I also liked how he used the stage. He wasn't a bump on a log.

Crystal has lost some of her shine for me, but she's still in second place on my list of favorites. She did look beautiful last night. I also love watching her face when she sings.....she's so expressive.

The rest can leave. One by one.
    Anyone else think Mike looks like he's going to lick or eat the microphone when he sings? I keep waiting for it to happen...lol
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Harry was one of the better mentors because his art is firmly grounded in musical arranging, composing, singing, etc. A lot of celebrities, like Miley or even Usher, don't have that kind of background. Alicia Keys is a musician, but I didn't think she brought out the best in the contestants.

The mentor to get the best performances out of the contestants was Barry Manilow, another instrumentalist-musician-arranger-prodigy, like Harry. It was remarkable how good most of the contestants sounded on stage after getting Manilow's help. I remember the FORT lit up with comments from folks remarking how great Manilow was with the AI contestants. And it's possible that Manilow also did the arrangements for the contestants.....I'm not sure.....
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3894637;
    I have to agree that Harry is wonderful! He was a terrific mentor and for the most part, his advice worked for the contestants.

I hated Lee during the audition phase. I was pissed when he made it through Hollywood week but by week 3 I was digging him. After last night, I want him to win the whole thing. I thought he was great. He really came out of his shell and he looked like he was having fun. I also liked how he used the stage. He wasn't a bump on a log.

Crystal has lost some of her shine for me, but she's still in second place on my list of favorites. She did look beautiful last night. I also love watching her face when she sings.....she's so expressive.

The rest can leave. One by one.
    Anyone else think Mike looks like he's going to lick or eat the microphone when he sings? I keep waiting for it to happen...lol
    Just want to chime in that I agree with everything, except that I've always liked Lee. Lately, however, I'm loving Lee and Crystal has slipped to #2.

As for Mike licking the microphone, I have such a hard time watching him that I never noticed. He's just so arrogant and always mugging, and I really just find him boring. I'd rather see him go before Casey or Aaron too, but I suppose that won't happen.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread