+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3888006;
    Lil' Aaron tanked that, I say. That was just sappy IMO, and sounded strained and off-pitch to me (no matter what the judges say).

But I'm not sure his rabid fanbase is gonna recognize that and cease voting. And I expect he's going to get a lot of spillover from ex-Tim Hair voters.

He had a MUCH stronger song than Crystal too. Which makes tanking it even worse.
    I'm not a "rabid" Aaron fan, but I like his singing. I guess I don't understand pitchiness or whatever, but he's almost always sounded good to me, and last night was no exception. Maybe the people who like him and vote for him are like me and don't recognize when something isn't pitch perfect?
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3888009;
    I would disagree with that.

There are plenty of very successful folks singers. Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, Arlo Guthrie, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Harry Chapin, Tracy Chapman, James Taylor, Janis Ian, Leonard Cohen, Harry Belafonte, Ani DeFranco, Emmylou Harris, just to name a few.
    The problem is that folk doesn't seem to be very popular right now. Which is a darn shame because I would rather listen to any of the artists listed above than any of the boring tripe that passes for popular music these days.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3888872;
    The problem is that folk doesn't seem to be very popular right now. Which is a darn shame because I would rather listen to any of the artists listed above than any of the boring tripe that passes for popular music these days.

I soooo agree with that statement! I'd rather listen to folk and the oldies station than Fergie and LadyGaGa any day.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3888686;
    I had to work last night & just now got to see the show. Here is something many may not know.

There was a girl with long red hair that played Mandoelin & sang harmony for Crystal & the same girl played fiddle for Siobhan. Her name is Megan Mullins & she is one of the most incredible musicians you will ever see. She plays absolutely everything that has strings. 3 years ago at CMA Music Fest she was voted best fiddle player of the week & that was they year that Charlie Daniels opened the week. At one point during her set, she said "Here's something you may not see at a Country concert," & she proceeded to play classical music on the violin, then all of a sudden the band joined in & the song morphed into an incredibly nasty blue grass stomp..Megan tore the strings on the fiddle apart she was shredding so hard.

She was born with perfect pitch & she tells this story on herself.

When she was 5 years old, she & her Mother were in a music store checking out all the instruments. While the salesman was talking to her Mother, Megan went over to the wall of guitars, banjoes, fiddles, manolenins etc. & started to pull them down & plunk on them. The salesman was concerned & asked her Mother to ask the kid not to play with the instruments. Her Mother responded, " Leave the kid alone, she is tuning your instruments." At the age of 5, she was tuning all the instruments in the store with nothing more than her ear & perfect pitch.

She gave her first professional concert at the age of 3, she is a classiclally trained violin player & I'll say it again, she is one of the most talented multi instrumentalists you will ever see. If you ever get a chance go see her.
    Megan Mullins was a member of the house band on Nashville Star .

Here is her myspace page where you can hear her music: Megan Mullins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me;3888802;
    Crystal fans remind me of Kate fans. They will defend that person no matter what. It could be something good or bad. Do you agree?
    As long as you don't mean Kate G! Yucko!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I saw Megan Mullins recently with Patti Loveless as well. She is one hell of a fiddler!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3888872;
    Actually, there is a quasi-underground contemporary folk movement in the country today. There are many talented, young folk singers appearing across the country in smaller venues and folk festivals. They don't get radio play, but they are getting the attention of hundreds of thousands of audience members in North America. If you do live near where a folk festival will be appearing, check it out. You will enjoy yourself.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread