+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AI 10: News, Rumor, Ideas

FORT Fogey

AI 10: News, Rumor, Ideas

Only three months until Season Ten starts auditions! And maybe in the biggest change ever for the show, no Simon Cowell and no Ricky Minor band. Here's a thread to talk about your ideas for making the transition.

First up, ex-producer Nigel Lythgoe has his own suggestions:

'American Idol' ex-producer Nigel Lythgoe: 'I would replace the entire judging panel'

You can quibble with the makeup of the panel, but I think Nigel is on the right track. Don't just replace Simon; sweep the show clean. I would keep Ryan, and replace everyone else. That way there are no direct comparisons. What do you think?

FORT Fogey

Re: AI 10: News, Rumor, Ideas

Interesting and strange that he'd want to do clean sweep, then bring Paula back. And while Elton John could certainly provide the contestants with some legitimate feedback and would make for great ratings, I do recall his getting his feathers ruffled when the voters didn't agree with his opinion in Season 3 and basically calling the American voting public racist. I'm not sure he could handle it if the voting didn't go as he wanted it to, but then again, that could be very entertaining to watch.

And I'm with you on keeping Ryan. I don't care what people say him - I think he's a great host, seems to genuinely care about the contestants, and has the tough job of Simon in check and calling him on some of his BS!
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 04-22-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Nigel Lythgo is full of beans. He cannot be serious about Usher and Paula, since he knows that Paula has been signed up with X-factor for awhile, and Usher is too big a current star to park his keester at AI.

I do agree that the panel needs to be changed. Nigel is correct that the current lineup lacks chemistry. And Kara is still awkward with her comments (I can't help wincing so often) and Ellen is boring. I think they should keep Randy because of his even-keeled personality, then find two others who can contrast each other.

Like Simon, I think Ryan is the only truly irreplacable cast member on the show. I simply cannot imagine AI without Ryan, who does a masterful job of keeping the disparate pieces of the show together.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I think there are a number of shows that are well past their prime and it's time to retire them. As long as shows like this one, DWTS, and ANTM are still limping along newer shows can't take their place and grow because people are very loyal to these shows.

Personally, I'd like to see them all retire and bring on something new and fresh. I think AI and the other two I mentioned are broken beyond repair and just need to fade into fond memory.

Since that's not likely to happen, then yes, completely gut the entire panel and get all new and fresh faces that actually have something better to say than "Sweetie, I'm just not getting what type of artist you are." and "Yo! Dawg! Check this out. For me, for you..." and "You're Great!"

While they are changing the panel, they also need to change the way voting is done on this show or make up their minds. Is it a singing competition or a popularity contest? One or the other and then run with that and set up the voting so that is reflected.

FORT Fogey

Ellen said in an interview with TV GUIDE that it was in her AI contract that she would have a say in who replaces Simon

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3884053;
    Ellen said in an interview with TV GUIDE that it was in her AI contract that she would have a say in who replaces Simon
    I think Ellen has an escape clause that allows her to leave if she doesn't like Simon's replacement. So if they want to keep Ellen, they need her approval. If they don't mind Ellen leaving, then they can hire whoever they want.

One other interesting thing to keep in mind regarding the Idol judges is that their employment contracts are not with 19 Entertainment or Freemantle Media, but instead they are paid by Fox.

FORT Regular

I'm over this show. Nice run, time to go bye-bye. Please don't be the Brett Farve of show business and keep us wondering. Tell us next year, 10th anniversary finale season and then that's it. Don't embarass yourselves trying to compete with X-Factor. jmho.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie;3884315;
    I'm over this show. Nice run, time to go bye-bye. Please don't be the Brett Farve of show business and keep us wondering. Tell us next year, 10th anniversary finale season and then that's it. Don't embarass yourselves trying to compete with X-Factor. jmho.
    I think it will try to limp along another year or two. Maybe a good group of kids might revitalize it?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I suggested a couple of weeks ago that maybe they were grooming Adam Lambert for Simon's judge spot and that's why they had him mentor.

This morning on the CBS Early Show, this was a topic of discussion, with a caption at the bottom that said something like "Simon out, Adam in." Harry Smith commented that "Adam Lambert is 11 years old," and that they need someone with some history and experience to judge the show. I wholeheartedly agree with Harry. However, Adam may be able to give constructive criticism that the contestants can actually use rather than just trying to be rude, funny, or a smart alec. That much would be refreshing!

In all honesty I don't think I could take week after week of Adam Lambert. Thanks, but no thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast