+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AI 10: News, Rumor, Ideas

FORT Fogey

Re: AI 10: News, Rumor, Ideas

It looks like the final major piece is in place (although still no official announcement). The Hollywood Reporter ran the story this morning that the new band leader for AI will be Ray Chew (replacing Ricky Minor):

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Ray Chew, a veteran of television music shows, has been handed the title and is already hard at work coming up with arrangements for the new crop of contestants.
    Chew has served as bandleader and musical director for such programs as NBC’s It’s Showtime at the Apollo and The Singing Bee. He also curated all the music for the 2008 Democratic National Convention, where Idol alum Jennifer Hudson sang the national anthem, and the inaugural ball ushering in Barack Obama’s presidency in January 2009, which featured performances by Mary J. Blige, Shakira, Mariah Carey, Stevie Wonder, and Sting, along with an unforgettable rendition of Etta James’ “At Last,” sung by Beyoncé as the first couple had their first dance.
    I wish him all the best - this is a tough position. Few contestants have any talent for arranging music, so that chore will largely fall to him. Not to mention he has no band (Ricky took his band with him to the Tonight Show), so Ray will have to start from scratch and put an ensemble together. (I wonder if he will bring back his old band "Ray Chew and The Crew"?)

Very impressive resume.

I just read the post that AI is moving to Wed/Thurs. This is not good news - Wednesday night is already spoken for in my house and it will be a hard sell to change it.

Looking forward to Wed. night!

Here's an article in today's Nashville paper.

‘American Idol’ could get a boost from Music City

Kristy Lee Cook sounds a little bitter about her AI experience.

This year, Idol may need to prove to viewers that it can still be taken seriously, too, in light of its winners’ recent track record. But Kristy Lee Cook, a season seven finalist who’s now signed to Nashville’s Broken Bow Records, was optimistic about the show’s direction.

“There’s definitely room for another season,” she says. “I think it’s going to be great with Jennifer Lopez and actual artists (judging). ... They actually understand what’s going on, unlike Simon, who didn’t know because he’s probably never sung in front of people in his life.”
    Last edited by Unklescott; 01-17-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Too funny.
    While I agree that Simon has perhaps not sung before anyone else, I cannot say that what Krity did on AI was even remotely resembling singing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

This article (really more of a pre-season critique) appeared in my local paper today:

Simon was lure on 'Idol' - TV/Movies - NewsObserver.com

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the above article. I'm more than happy Cowell is gone. Won't miss him for even a minute!!!

FORT Fogey

Well, there's lots snarky repartee reported among various Idol characters in Richard Rushfield's new book (just out today), American Idol: The Untold Story. You can read an excerpt at NewsWeek. (Rushfield is formerly the TV reporter for the LA Times. Back when the LA Times had a TV reporter.) It's a pretty detailed account of how Idol came to be (Rupert Murdoch was a key factor in bringing the show over from the UK.) Flipping to the end - he covers the show up to the end of the last season. So, if you're interested in "how the sausage is made", you should love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady;4151191;
    This article (really more of a pre-season critique) appeared in my local paper today:

Simon was lure on 'Idol' - TV/Movies - NewsObserver.com
    I agree with the author. I loved Simon and I'm really going to miss him. In fact, I'm still debating whether I'm going to watch the audition phase of AI this year. It just won't feel the same not hearing Simon say, "Frankly, that was like listening to a cat being tortured."
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I just read on the EW site that Slezak, the writer who did all the AI reporting, has left the magazine. Annie Barrett will be taking over and I happen to love her recaps and delicious, though not mean, snark. So, I may have to tune into this show once again.

I always felt that Simon was the main reason I watched the show. His comments were always spot on, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast