+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 4/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/20 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by MsDll;3881893;
    A Crystal/Lee finale would rank right up there with the Carrie/Bo finale, IMO! They are the only two I want to see in the finals.
    I think Crystal / Lee would be the biggest mismatch since Bambi vs. Godzilla.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3881924;
    I think Crystal / Lee would be the biggest mismatch since Bambi vs. Godzilla.
    In a way, I feel like the judges will just bring Lee to the end so they can tear him to pieces in the finale. In a way, I feel like they could bring him to the end because he's the only one they've hyped enough to make it that far. Who knows?

FORT Fan

Casey - Was that a rerun from one of the previous weeks? Talk about being stagnant.

Lee - Strained vocal and limited range, as always. But a decent performance.

Tim - Tim is consistently average, but this one was below average. Open up that voice boy. It won't crack. Practice and train if it does.

Aaron - On some Tuesdays his big voice takes the day off. And he quivers through the song. This was one of those days. But good effort.

Siobhan - Very tough composition and she executed it very well. Don't know why judges did not praise her for that. However, if she is around next week she needs to pick a very familiar song. She is distancing herself from the audience with her uninteresting song choices.

Mike - Good vocal as always. That dancy movement of the body took away any inspiration he thought that song was going to offer. If around next week, Mike needs to wear a formal suit, get rid of the guitar, stand still, I repeat, stand still, and deliver his song.

Crystal - Whoa! She should have sung the whole song 'a capella'. That beginning part was so pure and blissful. Then the band came in with some cheesy music. But Crystal quickly overpowered it with her vocals. Did not hit some high notes at the end but that is forgiven as she got too emotional.

It's Lee and Crystal for me, too. He has that scratchy vocal that I really like and Crystal is just....damn near perfect.

Siobhan...I loved her in the beginning but nothing has struck me since she sang Paint It Black. I'm sorry but when she's just singing and not screaming, her voice sounds like she's straining. I'm also tired of the excuses. Girl, just stand there, smile, look pretty and take it in. It's worked well for Tim....

Casey was good, but he didn't stand out. He really needs to do something spectacular next week.

Mike...I'm over him.

Tim...needs to go next.

Aaron....the boy can sing. He's got a huge voice and he's ONLY 16!!!! He needs a few more years under his belt and he could be absolutely amazing.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Well, a rather uninspired night. Lee and Casey were nice. Michael and Siobhan sounded pretty, but a bit vacant. As usual, Crystal was the standout by a mile and Aaron and Tim brought up the rear. All in all pretty much business as usual in the Idol studio.

Below are the singers ranked by where I think they stand in popularity, with letter grades for tonight's performance.

Crystal Bowersox A+
    “People Get Ready”
    This was an Idol moment that people will remember. A great vocal when she got into it, though she had some breath problems at the start. But the emotion is what fixes this in our minds. Musically the arrangement had a really nice arc - starting a capella, coming in with the band, and then easing out with just her and the backup vocals. Crystal remains at the top of of chart.

Lee DeWyze A-
    “The Boxer
    Lee makes a golden song choice. The story is about a man who is dead inside, so Lee's imobile face and raspy vocals fit like a glove. I have to take issue with the fact that he threw away the melody in the verses in order to accomodate his limited range. But even so, the performance was, in a small way, moving. He captured the feeling of the song really well. Definitely one of Lee's stronger performances. Lee's main competition here is Casey, and while Casey sings and plays better, Lee is steadily improving. Momentum is on his side.

Casey James B
    “Don’t Stop”
    Casey comes into this stretch of Idol with a list of solid performances, and tonight he adds one more on the pile. It's a R&B drenched take on the Fleetwood pop sound. But while he has expanded some as a vocalist and a peformer, his basic issue is still intact: he is all about the music, but not so much about the lyric. Other than his breakthrough Jealous Guy from Beatles week, Casey stays pretty safely in bar band mode. It's still a safe place to be - there are plenty of others beneath him to be cut - but he can't challenge Crystal from that position.

Siobhan Magnus B-
    “When You Believe”
    Siobhan has got the voice - and this was a solid vocal performance. But Siobhan's downfall is that there seems to be nothing behind the voice. Maybe because she is so versatile she has never had to put roots down in any musical genre. But without a musical home base she is merely an interloper just visiting whatever musical motif she takes on. She lacks the authenticity that Crystal, Casey, and Lee have. Siobhan also leaves the lyric behind. Her musical choices seem random and don't drive home a specific point of view on the song. It would be great to see her turn this around, but at this point I think she's giving us everything she has.

Michael Lynche B-
    “Hero”
    Mike kicks butt when it comes to vocals - he has the rest of the guys beat by a mile. Once again, though, I just don't feel any vulnerability or real emotion coming through.

Tim Urban C+
    “Better Days”
    Not bad - Tim has a real connection to this song. But while the lyric worked for him, the melody didn't - it was outside of his very limited range. So he sounded like he was straining and slightly off key on the "ohh" transitiion between verses. Tim is competing with Aaron and he needs to be strong every week to stay. This performance puts him in dangerous territory - but I give him a 50/50 chance of making it through one more week since Aaron didn't really burn up the place either.

Aaron Kelly B-
    “I Believe I Can Fly”
    Aaron has a much better voice than Tim, but oddly he hits a similar issue: he picks songs that are too big for him. On Fly his voice sounded thin and strained - but only because he took the key up and belted it out as a big power ballad. He needs to think small and intimate. But that's been his problem through the whole competition. Which means he isn't learning the lessons that can take him to the next level. Aaron is done.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-20-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3881901;
    As a rabid Bo fan, and as a fan of both Crystal and Lee, I would like to see it. A couple of weeks ago, I started to get the feeling of Lee being the last "man" standing..... with her of course!
    I don't post that often on the Idol forum until we get down to the finale night, lol. I was a rabid Bo fan and voter right up until the final night to vote, but I loved Carrie just as much. I remember thinking... it doesn't matter who wins. They both were great, and that's how I feel about Crystal and Lee. I'm a Crystal voter, but I'd just as soon be happy to see Lee win it all. They are both idol worthy to me.

Wow! Crystal broke down. I was wondering how they were going to show the recap with her breaking down like that. Apparently, they showed the dress rehearsal version but I see 4 people sitting in the judges seats, I would think they were not the real judges, were they?

Anyway...i'm changing my prediction.

Aaron first safe
    Michael 2nd safe
    Tim....finally going home!!!

Casey: Odd man out.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 04-21-2010 at 12:16 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3882020;
    Apparently, they showed the dress rehearsal version but I see 4 people sitting in the judges seats, I would think they were not the real judges, were they?
    Correct - they have seat fillers for the judges for dress rehearsal and for any pre-taping that they do for results night.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDll;3881991;
    I don't post that often on the Idol forum until we get down to the finale night, lol. I was a rabid Bo fan and voter right up until the final night to vote, but I loved Carrie just as much. I remember thinking... it doesn't matter who wins. They both were great, and that's how I feel about Crystal and Lee. I'm a Crystal voter, but I'd just as soon be happy to see Lee win it all. They are both idol worthy to me.
    I'm absolutely hoping that Crystal and Lee are the F2 !

I split my votes between these 2 because of their talent. If they do indeed end up as F2, it will be a hard decision ... kind of like the Bo-Carrie thing which I too experienced ... but I'll figure it out.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My favorites in order:Crystal,Mike and Lee. The rest seem to be just spinning their wheels.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread