+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 4/14 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/14 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3877638;
    As Simon has said before, it really doesn't matter what order people get eliminated in at this point. Every year there are just one or two candidates who can realistically win. This year is Crystal's show, and the other contestants are just marking time on the stage before they get the axe.
    --
    I really think Chris or Elliot should have one in their season. Taylor (whom I did like) really surprised us all. Then again, I think that was an immensely talented group.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3877834;
    ...I don't know if this is the most talented group...it may be just be that there's really no singer whose actual talent is questionable ...
    I think the whole story for this season has changed. In the beginning, it was just the awfulness of it all. These weren't train wrecks - they were freeway pile-ups:
    • Lacey Brown's Landslide
    • Haeley Vaughn's I Want To Hold Your Hand, The Climb
    • Tim Urban's Apologize, Come On Get Higher
    • Jermaine Sellers' Get Here
    • John Parks' Gravity
    • Paige Miles' Smile
    • Aaron Kelly's I'm Already There

But now, the through attrition and overall improvement, the actual singing has been rather good. Even the people that couldn't find the right pitch with a map in the early rounds (Lee, Tim, Aaron, Katie, among others) have corrected that. Now I think the base level of singing is better this year than in the last three seasons. (In other words, the worst performances have been less bad in this year's finals than in previous years. )

So that's the situation at the bottom of the roster. At the top of the roster there is... just Crystal. And the lady has laid down a pretty impressive string of performances. All very good, at least - some really memorable.

The big problem I see with the season is that in between the consistent front runner and the ever improving also-rans at the bottom is a pretty unimpressive field of performers. I had high hopes for Siobhan, but she can't get her inner artist in gear. She hasn't been able to rise much above a "girl singer" role in recent weeks. Casey, like Crystal is consistently good - but very predictable. Lee, not as consistent, but just as predictable. Mike is a bit more unpredictable - but not in a good way.

However the key question is are any of these second tier performers a threat to Queen Crystal? I don't think so. Which brings us to the big problem - no drama. Crystal is far ahead of the pack and I don't see anyone that can challenge her. So the rest of the season looks like a long run of pleasant performances until we shower Crystal in confetti and all go home.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3877905;
    So that's the situation at the bottom of the roster. At the top of the roster there is... just Crystal. And the lady has laid down a pretty impressive string of performances. All very good, at least - some really memorable.

However the key question is are any of these second tier performers a threat to Queen Crystal? I don't think so. Which brings us to the big problem - no drama. Crystal is far ahead of the pack and I don't see anyone that can challenge her. So the rest of the season looks like a long run of pleasant performances until we shower Crystal in confetti and all go home.
    Replace all instances of "Crystal" with "Melinda". There's danger in stagnation, even for the unquestionably talented. The challenge for Crystal is not in getting better, but in being more engaging than whoever has the "dramatic underdog" story.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;3877908;
    Replace all instances of "Crystal" with "Melinda". There's danger in stagnation, even for the unquestionably talented. The challenge for Crystal is not in getting better, but in being more engaging than whoever has the "dramatic underdog" story.
    Precisely! From a singing competition standpoint, Crystal has no worries. But from a Reality Show perspective, she has no story arc. For people who are tuning in for the drama, she's not very compelling.

Of course, the person with the rags to riches story right now is Tim Urban. Talk about coming from behind - Tim started from nothing (a literal last minute substitution), and THEN GOT WORSE. (Apologize) Now he is giving decent performances and has won fans, probably more for his upbeat attitude than his singing.

Don't look for Tim to threaten Crystal, though. He doesn't have the chops. The public may bat him around like a cat with a shiny new toy for a couple of weeks, but he's going to look awfully threadbare in the Top Five.

Of course if Casey or Lee can suddenly find an artistic point of view, then Crystal might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3877881;
    Oh, I think many people would give an arm and a leg to have his amazing vocal "problem". As for "overdone"... as opposed to what? It's his song, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. I've heard him sing "Whataya Want From Me" at least two dozen different ways already - different versions of perfect - on every TV show from Oprah to Leno to his own concerts. This is just one version and it was fitting for the Idol stage especially in light of the dead slabs of boring that these abysmally droll contestants have been bringing to the show week after week. Unlike many people who have to stick to a safe script, Adam will never sing any song twice the same way.
    Amen to that! I have also heard this song done several different ways and I would place last nights version as one of my favorites.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

I've been looking at articles online about results night. There are dozens of them and every one from CNN to the WSJ to MTV etc., without fail, is full of effusive praise for Adam's performance. Some are quite breathless in their adoration, LOL. This one is a small sampling from a journalist who was in the audience on results night:

'American Idol': Adam Lambert completely blew my everlovin' mind (on the scene for results night) | EW.com

'American Idol': Adam Lambert completely blew my everlovin' mind (on the scene for results night)
    by Adam B. Vary

But then Adam Lambert took to the stage, delivering by miles the best live guest performance I’ve seen on an Idol results show ever in the history of awesome. Alas, Smirkel became so enraptured by Glambert’s laser-light tornado that he let one of the green laser beams hit him square in his third eye. He’s currently convalescing inside Randy Jackson’s belly button lint trap.

Suffice it to say, Glambert completely blew my everloving mind last night, and judging from the deafening roars from the live audience before, during, and after his performance of “Whataya Want from Me,” I’d say I was far from alone. Unlike the horrid group numbers, which are exponentially more horrid in person, in large part because they are choreographed for the cameras and not the studio audience, Glambert constructed his number as much (if not more) for those of us inside Idoldome as those of you watching from home. For one thing, as cool as those lasers looked on TV, they had true dimension and shape in person (in other words, they were in 3D!). For another, the music simply sounded big and gorgeous live, a perfect sonic match for the visual spectacle. Unfortunately, both the live show and the televised version were hobbled by a way over-zealous fog machine; I’d love to tell you what the Idols and judges made of Glambert’s show, but all that smoke utterly obscured them from view.

Oh, that’s right, this was a results show, not a Glambert concert. You could’ve been forgiven for thinking it was the latter, though. A completely unscientific visual survey of the audience counted at least as many pro-Glambert posters as ones for all the other current Idol hopefuls combined. And the mere sight of Glambert during the show’s Dramatic! Opening! Video! Montage! sent the audience into conniptions.[]
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3877881;
    Oh, I think many people would give an arm and a leg to have his amazing vocal "problem". As for "overdone"... as opposed to what? It's his song, he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.
    Of course Adam can do whatever he wants with a song, but what he chose to do with it vocally Wednesday night bored me. It was just one long scream or shout. The laser-light visuals, on the other hand, were exciting.

I've heard him sing Whataya Want From Me" at least two dozen different ways already - different versions of perfect - on every TV show from Oprah to Leno to his own concerts. This is just one version and it was fitting for the Idol stage especially in light of the dead slabs of boring that these abysmally droll contestants have been bringing to the show week after week.
    I think there have been some very entertaining performances this season from people like Crystal, Casey and Siobhan. Crystal especially has been riveting. I'm just wondering....if you think all of the performers are "abysmally droll contestants" offering "dead slabs of boring," what is it that is drawing you to watch AI each week?
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-16-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3878429;
    Of course Adam can do whatever he wants with a song, but what he chose to do with it vocally Wednesday night bored me. It was just one long scream or shout. The laser-light visuals, on the other hand, were exciting.

I think there have been some very entertaining performances this season from people like Crystal, Casey and Siobhan. Crystal especially has been riveting. I'm just wondering....if you think all of the performers are "abysmally droll contestants" offering "dead slabs of boring," what is it that is drawing you to watch AI each week?--
    LOL to the bolded above! I've wondered that myself! Glad I don't feel that way about this year's contestants, or I would've had to become a fan of DWTS or The Biggest Loser.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3878429;
    OI'm just wondering....if you think all of the performers are "abysmally droll contestants" offering "dead slabs of boring," what is it that is drawing you to watch AI each week?
    --
    The answer to that always entertaining question is quite obvious.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3878554;
    The answer to that always entertaining question is quite obvious.

It was a sincere question, not meant to be "entertaining."

[] If a show has too many "dead slabs of boring," then I'm out of there.

--
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 04-16-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread