+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

The thing about song choice is that it's partly what you make of the song. Something that sounds like the right choice when it's chosen can become a bad choice by the way the contestant handles it, and vice versa. So a choice looks good or bad according to the end product, and is only partly dependent on the song itself.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3877067;
    ...Either they all can get help with the song choices ( the playing field is level), or the judges need to shut up about making poor song choices.
    Essentialy this is the "Why don't they assign a producer to each of these kids?" question. In the real world they will never produce themselves; someone else will be by their side picking the songs, arrangements, etc. So why not start now instead of watching them fall on their faces each week?

The answer is that it's not the American Idol way (as Pillbeam pretty much said). Fending for themselves is part of the show. If you want contestants + producers then wait for X Factor.

However, there is a third way. We know from Season Eight exit interviews that those kids were helping each other with song choices all the time. Kris found the Michael Jackson song for Allison. Adam found her duet song. Kris ran the Heartless idea by Adam. Matt helped people out with Rat Pack choices. In short, if someone asked for ideas, they were there. The Season Nine cast may be doing the same thing, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3877111;
    I thought that part of having the mentors' in is for them to provide guidance to the Idols'?
    In practice, most mentors simply aren't involved enough, or come in too late in the process to make much impact - especially on song choice. But there have been exceptions. I remember Carly Smithson began singing All I Ask of You from Phantom of the Opera in her session with Andrew Lloyd Webber, and he stopped her after the chorus and asked her if she had anything else. Fortunately, she did. She went into the title song from Jesus Christ Superstar, and Sir Andrew insisted that she do that song instead. It turned in to her best song on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3877567;
    The thing about song choice is that it's partly what you make of the song. Something that sounds like the right choice when it's chosen can become a bad choice by the way the contestant handles it, and vice versa. So a choice looks good or bad according to the end product, and is only partly dependent on the song itself.
    Really good point! I remember last year Kara selected Apologize for Kris Allen to sing in Top Three week. On paper, that was a good match for Kris's style and voice. In practice, though, the original version was already so close to his asthetic, that there wasn't much new that he could bring to it.

The best song choices are often the ones that seem least likely to work. Like She Works Hard for the Money for Kris. Billie Jean or Music of the Night for David Cook. Dolly Parton's It's All Wrong But It's Alright for Michael Johns.

If memory serves me correctly, Michael said that Siobahn recommended "In the Ghetto" for him. That was a perfect choice, given the R&B nature of the song.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread