+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fan

Re: 4/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Crystal - She cannot do anything wrong. She is a star. Eventhough we all know her indie rock style she brings in some change every week, be it a new instrument or a slight change in the arrangement. She will never do a complete 180 from her niche, but she will go about a 45 this way and a 45 that way to keep it interesting.

Andrew - Oh! He is still in the competition???

Tim - A young, handsome and likable guy singing a classic love song is just plain yummy, though vocally not great. He did not do the falsetto but he did go full throat towards the end which is where he sounds best. But he keeps singing low with a nasal tone which sounds so amateur.

Lee - Probably his best. Still he is a very limited singer like Didi. But who knows he may just coast to victory considering what has happened in the past few seasons.

Siobhan - Good vocal but not great. The switch from the first half to the second half was not a smooth transition at all. Kara is right. There are two voices and she is not connecting them properly (like some other poster said couple of days ago). Siobhan seriously needs a vocal coach to perfect her technique or her talent will be wasted.

Mike - Solid vocal. Certainly one of the top two vocalists in the competition. But Mike has zero charisma. And eventhough he can emote while singing, he does not come across as a deep and thoughtful person. May be he is. But it does not show.

Aaron - Great job especially considering that he was singing same kind of ballads all this time. I liked his performance. But the band drowned his voice. And the judges couldn't wait to trash him, that too after he had just showed his better side.

Katie - Good vocal but not great. Should give her credit for challenging herself week after week with big songs. That tenacity will take her far in life.

Casey - Back to the same old stagnant Casey. Decent vocal. Nothing great. I used to like him in the beginning. But he has become stagnant with the same act every week, except last week.
    Last edited by KennyLuv; 04-13-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Didn't care for Katie's performance at all. Agreed with Simon that it was annoying.

Casey's was a good performance, but a horrible version of the song. When you have to stop and think "Is this even the same song?" that's not something I enjoy. Really wish he had done something closer to the real version of the song. I didn't like this at all.

Overall, I will give credit where credit is due. I was horrified that Adam of all people was the mentor on Elvis week. I wouldn't want to hear him sing Elvis, but at least he sounded like he got The King and his music, and respected it. Major kudos from me to Adam. He gave them all good advice, save for telling Tim to go falsetto. Too bad most of them didn't take his advice or just didn't implement it correctly!

I think Kara forgets the show is not about her. She goes on and on and on and on like we care. (Boy, I must be tired. I just read my posts and I sound more cranky than....I was going to say Simon, but he was pretty mellow this evening. I know, this forum is not about me..... )

And did anyone else feel like Tim has been on this board when he said he was going to sing the song with meaning and let America know he knows what the words mean? Something like that......Probably a reference to the comments about Under My Thumb - atrocious. Still, I felt a twinge of guilt.

Oh, and I loved Adam as a mentor this evening. I think he completely got the issues with these guys. Just because many of them couldn't deliver doesn't mean there was something wrong with the mentor. Thinking back to past seasons, the idols were pretty much prepared when they met with their mentor. Things just got tweaked. I remember how Cookie blew them away week after week. Tonight, only a couple were truly prepared.
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 04-14-2010 at 12:12 AM.

FORT Fogey

Well, I think we can retire all the rhetoric about this being a lousy season. Three weeks in a row of good singing from everyone. Last year our Top Nine included aural assaults from Meghan, Scott, and Lil. This year Katie, Tim, Andrew, and Aaron easily clear that bar.

That also makes it hard to predict who will go, but Andrew seems like the most likely victim. But who will go with him? If I was Siobhan, I'd be nervous.

Here is the order I see people in as far as popularity goes, with letter grades for tonight's performances.

Crystal Bowersox – A
    “Saved”
    Idol has never had a woman like Crystal before - someone so rooted in blues and able to consistently bend songs to her strengths. Add to that, the woman has never given a bad performance. Tonight was stronger than the past couple of weeks - she's at the top of her game.

Casey James – A
    “Lawdy Miss Clawdy”
    Casey is riding the Crystal train - maybe a little too closely. Is there room on the tracks for two blues / acoustic singer-songwriter types? We'll see. But what Casey does, he does really well. He took Adam's advice and gave the arrangement some shape - which helped a lot. His vocals and performances are getting more professional every week.

Lee DeWyze – B+
    “A Little Less Conversation”
    This was Lee on Red Bull, and it was a nice change. Every week, I think Lee picks up a few more fans. This week we're going to see the cosmic collision of the Lee, Mike, Casey, and Siobhan fanbases. A few weeks ago Lee would have been the loser in that showdown. But at this point I think he can surpass on Mike and Siobhan.

Siobhan Magnus – C+
    “Suspicious Minds”
    The opening of the song was very late 60's "Petula Clark Variety Hour" both musically and in the staging. It died. Then she ripped in to the half time and it was a different song, a better song. She should have started like that. But by the time the song got good, I think a lot of people had already stopped listening. I agree with Simon: Siobhan lost her way three weeks ago. She had tried to build a strategy based on the judges rather than just come out each week and show us a song from her album (as Crystal and Casey are doing). I think she's fallen and she can't get back up. She has now been lapped by Casey and probably Lee. She could fall below Michael this week.

Mike Lynche – B+
    “In The Ghetto”
    Michael made the really smart choice this week to do the acoustic guitar thing and do a coffee house version of "Ghetto". He's always sung well, but his physicalization has been corny. Holding the guitar eliminated the damaging ticks, and let us concentrate on his singing and heartfelt interpretation.

Katie Stevens – B+
    “Baby What Do You Want Me to Do”
    I hate Katie. She's exactly the kind of singer I don't like: all voice and ambition with no artistic point of view. Typical singer from the early AI seasons. But, damn, she sang really well tonight. As phony as it was - she made the best case possible for why she should be here. So, props to you girl.

Aaron Kelly – B
    “Blue Suede Shoes”
    It was a really good vocal - better than I've ever heard him do. But the staging (down the stairs, over to the judges, into the audience and behind them, and back on stage) was an awful lot of stage to cover. It's like he was running a marathon while trying to sing at the same time. In the end it was a good performance, but I don't think he's going to pick up new fans with this.

Tim Urban – B
    “I Can’t Help Falling in Love”
    My theory: The Idol producers hate Tim - they kept his face in the shadows through the whole song. But there was a lot going on in his eyes tonight - the vulnerability that Adam liked was definitely there - but it took all the magnification on my Hi Def screen to see it. This was a basic vocal - but a good one. And if you could catch what was happening in his face, there was a nice moment there, similar to Kris Allen's "Falling Slowly" last year. However, all that said, Tim's voice - even at its best - is too small for Idol.

Andrew Garcia – C
    “Hound Dog”
    Andrew takes Elvis into a easy Latin swing rhythm - and it's nice. But Andrew isn't much a performer, and he's not that much of an arranger, either. The song never went anywhere. He's gotta go this week, please!
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-14-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3876690;

Siobhan Magnus – C+

Katie Stevens – B+
    “Baby What Do You Want Me to Do”
    I hate Katie. She's exactly the kind of singer I don't like: all voice and ambition with no artistic point of view. Typical singer from the early AI seasons. But, damn, she sang really well tonight. As phony as it was - she made the best case possible for why she should be here. So, props to you girl.

Did you mean B+ for Siobhan?

And I'm totally with you about Katie - except - Still can't give her props because I just couldn't believe that song from her, or any song from her for that matter.

I really enjoy Casey's voice and for the most part he comes across as authentic, but he's just got to stop grinning about everything when it's not appropriate. Could he perhaps give half his grins to Lee, they'd both come out better for it.

It's just not believable to be singing about pain and jealousy and anger and grinning ear to ear all the way through. He needs to connect with the words he's singing.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3;3876537;
    Listening to my two favorite Elvis songs (Suspicious Minds and In the Ghetto) sung by AI contestants makes me realize once again how great a singer Elvis really was.
    You can definitely see why they called Elvis the King!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3876696;
    Did you mean B+ for Siobhan?
    Nope, I'm sticking with the low grade for Siobhan. If the whole song had been as good as the second half it would have been strong. But that first verse, while lovely singing, was just treading water for me. She gave us a whole verse of nothing, and then a big finish of vocal pyrotechnics. My question is: where is the art? Who was she singing about? What was she saying? I think she's lost track of that. And when that's gone, well, you're drifting into Katie Country.

She still has that spectacular voice - but I want more - something behind it; a reason to sing the song. She had that for me at the beginning of the competition.

Idol Fan

One thing I want to add is that you have to say, imo, no matter how much you like or dislike a contestant and their performance, tonight no one, thank goodness, did a karaoke version of Elvis, despite what the judges ever have to say!

I sure hope the West Coast loves Siobhan as much as I do, and keeps her out of the bottom 3, as she so richly deserves. Personally, my wish and judgment are to forget AI's phony male vs. female splits, and have a Crystal vs. Siobhan finale! Now that would be something.

And unlike another poster, I don't believe for a minute that Siobhan will fail to bring all her confidence and talent back to us! Her amazing talent, Voice, and joy and uniqueness deserve to make it all the way in this.... So tonight, at the very least, if you already liked her before, keep her in the Top 5 and vote for her. My fingers are crossed....

Siobhan is and always has been, an amazing artist. She still takes risks, that don't always pay off, but she does take them. I really bless her with getting to go all the way.
    Last edited by Bellenote; 04-14-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: fixing a typo & adding one comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote;3876707;
    One thing I want to add is that you have to say, imo, no matter how much you like or dislike a contestant and their performance, tonight no one, thank goodness, did a karaoke version of Elvis, despite what the judges ever have to say!
    Oh, I don't know about that! Respectfully, for me, tonight was a big fat trainwreck with two exceptions (Crystal and, to my shock, Tim). I adore Elvis. Have my whole life. No one will ever be better than him, IMO. So of all seasons to have Elvis Week, this wasn't it. Awful. Awful, awful butchering of song after song. My ears still hurt.

I wish I had Season 5's Elvis Week on tape somewhere. That put tonight's show to shame. Interestingly as well: That was the night that took down Chris Daughtry. Be interesting to see who will fall this week. Could be one (or two) of the more popular contestants once again.

+ Reply to Thread