+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Idol Thoughts #234: The Musical Instrument Topic

Re: Deep Idol Thoughts #234: The Musical Instrument Topic

Quote Originally Posted by BajanBlond;3877866;
    I totally agree with you. The instruments at the beginning were great and set some people apart, great to see musicality and all round ability, we have seen that and know that everyone left is a great singer...we now need to see if they can perform. I dont want to see someone hiding behind a guitar or piano - that's what you get on a cruise ship. I am now waiting to be awe struck!!!
    I just don't get that. How many cruise ships have Billy Joel or Elton John ever played piano on. How many cruise ships have had the pleasure of Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page or Mark Knopfler play guitar on? I just get so lost in the whole "hiding behind an instrument" thing.

FORT Fanatic

I like C rystal alot but hasn't she used her guitar every time except when she "semi" played the piano? Who's to say
    how she would perform without her guitar and nothing else? I think she uses her guitar as much as a crutch as Casey.
    I'm saying this, even though I really do like Crystal and I really do like Casey.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BajanBlond;3877866;
    ...we now need to see if they can perform. I dont want to see someone hiding behind a guitar or piano... I am now waiting to be awe struck!!!
    A few examples of performances by which I have been awe struck:
    • Heartless (Kris Allen on acoustic guitar)
    • Angels (David Archuleta on piano)
    • Killing Me Softly (David Cook on electric guitar)
    • Over The Rainbow (Jason Castro on ukulele)
    • Ain't No Sunshine (Kris Allen on piano)

In all of these the instrument added to the awesomeness of the performance.

My point being, taking away instruments gives you less awesomeness, not more. Nobody is stopping a pure vocalist from purely vocalizing sans instrument. (Adam did quite well with that last year.) But if you confiscate the pianos and guitars, you will make performers like the ones above merely good instead of breathtaking.

They should just go ahead & give the title to either Aaron or Siobhan, they are the only 2 left that haven't played an instrument. They are the only 2 left that could cry foul, if they felt the others were cheating by playing an instrument, yet we have heard nothing from either one on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3877912;
    I just get so lost in the whole "hiding behind an instrument" thing.
    Personally, I don't mind if they can do both, and do both well. I only consider it "hiding" if a contestant uses the instrument to cover up their meager vocal talent - for me, Andrew is an example. I just did not care for his singing, but at least when he played the guitar I had something else to focus on.

If they can rock the guitar/piano/whatever and still belt out a great song - go for it! That's simply enhancing the performance, to me. I just don't enjoy seeing instruments used to cover up weak vocal ability.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

For those who think playing an instrument while singing is hiding and detracts from the experience, does it bother you when you go to a Bruce Springstein or Brad Paisley concert and they hide behind their guitars? How about Elton John or Billy Joel hiding behind the piano? To me, the instrument is part of the experience, and also part of the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3878340;
    For those who think playing an instrument while singing is hiding and detracts from the experience, does it bother you when you go to a Bruce Springstein or Brad Paisley concert and they hide behind their guitars? How about Elton John or Billy Joel hiding behind the piano? To me, the instrument is part of the experience, and also part of the performance.
    I'm a rock fan - actual rock, none of that Creedish, Nickelbackish, Cookish, Daughtryish kind of fake Lite FM kind of syrupy idiocy - so I love guitars in the right hands.

But, you've hit on the problem, or one of them at least: None of these people are capable of Elton or Bruce level command of their instruments nor can they sing or perform on the same planet with either of them.

What for Bruce is an augment to his voice and performance, to Casey, Crystal and even Mike is a necessary thing. From everything I've seen on this season, neither are capable of delivering a decent performance, vocal or otherwise, without some sort of instrumental help. Crystal, especially, while having a good voice looks naked and awkward without her guitar. Might as well get it surgically attached to herself. Alecia Keys can do a mean piano performance but sometimes she just stands there and sings like nobody's business. She doesn't need the piano to deliver a killer vocal and a compelling performance. That's what's lacking here, somebody who is a singer first and foremost.

No matter how much people want to conveniently claim that this is not a singing competition, sorry, but it is. The only thing the judges seriously critique or care about is the sining. It's what really gets you votes up to the Final 2. Well, aside from the cute factor and sob story factor for some people. I doubt any tweener picks up the phone because they're in love with Casey's cheesy, red electric guitar. The judges will mention the instruments if they add something or take away from the performance but if XYZ is out of tune or flat as a slab of concrete, no amount of guitar strumming or piano clomping is going to help them. In some cases it's also noticeable that some of them need their instruments to keep or find their pitch, hence: crutch.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3878340;

The artists you mention use their instruments to add to their performance. Elton John in concert is amazing, he performs, interacts with the audience, just about climbs all over the piano, the audience forgets he is actually playing it.

When Crystal stands still and plays her guitar with barely a smile I have to look away to appreciate her voice. She has an amazing voice, and yes she can play many instruments, (good for her) but she is very boring to watch. She is just one example which I feel applies to all right now.

That is what i mean by 'hiding behind their instrument'. Its like a security blanket which is stopping them from performing.

I now want to see them, using their instruments, make me want to watch them!!

purely my opinion.
    Last edited by BajanBlond; 04-18-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BajanBlond;3879516;
    When Crystal stands still and plays her guitar with barely a smile I have to look away to appreciate her voice. She has an amazing voice, and yes she can play many instruments, (good for her) but she is very boring to watch. She is just one example which I feel applies to all right now.

That is what i mean by 'hiding behind their instrument'. Its like a security blanket which is stopping them from performing.

I now want to see them, using their instruments, make me want to watch them!!

purely my opinion.
    I don't find Crystal boring to watch.

Last season I enjoyed Adam's theatrics, but didn't enjoy his singing most of the time.

So for me, I guess, it really is all about the singing, and the instruments are secondary, as are the theatrics. They rarely detract, but can often enhance a performance.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

So as pretty much everyone knows by now, Ricky Minor AND his whole band are leaving to work for (ptui!) Jay Leno.

So what will become of the "band centric" approach of Idol?

I mean its NOT like just Ricky is leaving, and his top Lieutenant could take over on Idol. The reports say the band is going with him. So an entirely NEW band--and a good one--would have to be hired.

God forbid its someone like the Dancing With The Stars band (not that it would literally be them, since they are under contract, but someone on that shoddy level). Ugh. They'd better do better than that.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast