+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Idol Thoughts #234: The Musical Instrument Topic

FORT Fogey

Re: Deep Idol Thoughts #234: The Musical Instrument Topic

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3870099;
    Maybe two people, three tops, can sing halfway decently this season and all but one have been pure karaoke week to week. The thing is that anyone can learn to play the guitar, even the piano. However, no amount of practice will give anyone an ounce of singing talent. That's something you either just have or you just don't. Take away a mediocre singers' guitar - whether he can play it well or not - and all you have is a mediocre singer who can no longer rely on a prop for their performance.
    Well, then, the issue has nothing to do with instruments. You don't like these contestants, period.

You do not like them with a guitar
    (There is not one who is a star)
    You do not like them here or there
    You do not like them anywhere

(Sorry, I've been sitting with my nephews all day.)

Seriously though, if instruments were the problem, then removing them would make things better. But, no, you feel that the performances would be worse sans musical apparatus.

What you want is to run these folks out of town and bring in a new slate of contestants. Maybe even a different type of contestant.

Nothing wrong with talking about that - it's just a problem that isn't solved by removing the guitars and pianos.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-09-2010 at 04:57 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3873727;
    Well, then, the issue has nothing to do with instruments. You don't like these contestants, period.

You do not like them with a guitar
    (There is not one who is a star)
    You do not like them here or there
    You do not like them anywhere

(Sorry, I've been sitting with my nephews all day.)

Seriously though, if instruments were the problem, then removing them would make things better. But, no, you feel that the performances would be worse sans musical apparatus.

What you want is to run these folks out of town and bring in a new slate of contestants. Maybe even a different type of contestant.

Nothing wrong with talking about that - it's just a problem that isn't solved by removing the guitars and pianos.

...to bolded above

And in reference to the post to which you responded, the show is also not called "American Singer," but "American Idol," which doesn't limit itself merely to singing.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 04-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3873727;
    Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I meant exactly what I wrote exactly as I wrote it.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3874047;
    Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I meant exactly what I wrote exactly as I wrote it.
    I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth - I was using deductive reasoning. If A and B then C.

Specifically, IF you don't like the contestants when they play instruments AND IF you still don't like them when they don't play instruments THEN instruments aren't the issue. The issue for you is that they can't sing, instruments or no.

Anywho, back to the pros and cons of instruments, speaking just for my personal taste, I am very happy to be far from AI Seasons 1, 2, &3 where contestants sang to backing tracks. In those days the only way to distinguish oneself was to sing bigger and better than the other contestants. Once Rickey Minor & Company arrived, we had the possibility of changing up an arrangement. Adding instruments in Season 7 extended the creativity even more.

Now Bo Bice or Kris Allen can tell the band to take a hike and do a song solo. Adam Lambert can bring in a Middle Eastern Glam arrangement of a country song. David Cook can forgo the 80's pop and do Michael Jackson a la indie rock. And Casey James can do John Lennon with just his acoustic guitar and a cello. Speaking for myself, this suits me just fine. I'll gladly trade the big voices of the early seasons for some additional musical sophistication.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-10-2010 at 01:41 AM.

When I read the post upthread, I definitely got the feeling, loud and clear, that the poster felt there was no good talent ( singing ) this year.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

All rightee, I'm here to weigh in with my 2 cents. I'm inclined to agree with Ms. Froggy's assessment.

I think over all, the instruments are hampering everyone (except Crystal, as long as she's just playing guitar and nothing else).

I also think that someone like Lee DeWyze--had he been forced to learn to handle the stage without the crutch of a guitar--might have been at a point now where he was engaging the audience more. But hey, why bother when you can have a guitar for most performances and just focus on that instead?

And would I go to see Lee DeWyze stand there in concert, rooted to the stage with a guitar, for an hour or more, even with an interesting voice? No way.

I think the performers should be limited to 2 performances with instruments. And I love the whole a capella week idea.

If a performer has a compelling enough voice, and sufficient stage presence (aka charisma), they should be able to perform without an instrument. This is not "America has Talent". As Simon has said year after year, this is supposed to be first and foremost a singing competition.

I personally don't want a performer to spend half his allotted performance time doing a guitar riff.

I like the instruments. American Idol is not JUST a singing contest, which is why it's not called American Singer. If it were a singing contest, it would include a much larger variety of singers, including classically trained opera singers. This is a contest to find the next big pop star. This is the person who sings, fronts a band, performs, records, and gathers fans the best. An irish folk singer, opera singer, or American ballad singer are not going to be included in this contest no matter how good a singer they are.

For the really good contestants, the ability to play an instrument well on stage is a bonus. Some of the people who have played instruments in this competition are not good enough musicians to play their instruments on stage, which detracts from their performance, even if it the song was sung well.

On another note, singing well is not the same thing as having a large range, carrying a tune, or infusing a song with vocal runs. It's more elusive - phrasing, emotion, dynamics, arrangement, choice of song, etc. This is what is lacking in some of the contestants, not whether or not they are playing an instrument.

Nicely Done!

I personally think it brings more musicality to the show. For me I am more inclined to by someone's music if they sing, play and write it themselves. Kinda like Brad Paisley.

The more I think about it, if it did become an either/or scenario, I'd much prefer that they abandon instruments altogether.
    Too many have hid behind the instruments since they've been allowed. Eliminating them would give all the contestants a level playing field allowing even handed judging based on vocals/performance.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer;3877615;
    All rightee, I'm here to weigh in with my 2 cents. I'm inclined to agree with Ms. Froggy's assessment.

I think over all, the instruments are hampering everyone (except Crystal, as long as she's just playing guitar and nothing else).

I also think that someone like Lee DeWyze--had he been forced to learn to handle the stage without the crutch of a guitar--might have been at a point now where he was engaging the audience more. But hey, why bother when you can have a guitar for most performances and just focus on that instead?

And would I go to see Lee DeWyze stand there in concert, rooted to the stage with a guitar, for an hour or more, even with an interesting voice? No way.

I think the performers should be limited to 2 performances with instruments. And I love the whole a capella week idea.

If a performer has a compelling enough voice, and sufficient stage presence (aka charisma), they should be able to perform without an instrument. This is not "America has Talent". As Simon has said year after year, this is supposed to be first and foremost a singing competition.

I personally don't want a performer to spend half his allotted performance time doing a guitar riff.
    I totally agree with you. The instruments at the beginning were great and set some people apart, great to see musicality and all round ability, we have seen that and know that everyone left is a great singer...we now need to see if they can perform. I dont want to see someone hiding behind a guitar or piano - that's what you get on a cruise ship. I am now waiting to be awe struck!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast