+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Idol Thoughts #234: The Musical Instrument Topic

Re: Deep Idol Thoughts #234: The Musical Instrument Topic

But again, I must point out that Crystal DID "drop" the Piano half way through that last performance, and the second half of that performance was the better half by far.

We can call it a crutch that she's always had one around, be it harmonica, guitar, piano or some combination, sure, but we've at least with HER seen an indication in that minute or so she was standing away from the Piano that it was no problem with her (go rewatch it on YouTube--she gets up exactly half-way through, and looks fine in that second half). That's not necessarily true with Andrew and Casey, since I believe the one time we saw Andrew sans instrument (Miley week), it sucked, and... have we seen Casey without one yet? I don't recall. If we have, it wasn't very memorable.

IMO Crystal IS better than your random street corner musician. If you search out her own original music online, IMO I think it proves it.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3869405;
    But again, I must point out that Crystal DID "drop" the Piano half way through that last performance, and the second half of that performance was the better half by far.

We can call it a crutch that she's always had one around, be it harmonica, guitar, piano or some combination, sure, but we've at least with HER seen an indication in that minute or so she was standing away from the Piano that it was no problem with her (go rewatch it on YouTube--she gets up exactly half-way through, and looks fine in that second half). That's not necessarily true with Andrew and Casey, since I believe the one time we saw Andrew sans instrument (Miley week), it sucked, and... have we seen Casey without one yet? I don't recall. If we have, it wasn't very memorable.

IMO Crystal IS better than your random street corner musician. If you search out her own original music online, IMO I think it proves it.
    It's a sad day when 1 minute of stepping away from your crutch with just a mic in your hand is suddenly something commendable on a singing competition. But that's what this show has been reduced to. I'm not saying she's bad, Krom. I'm just saying she's like another two or three dozen people we've seen before. On another season she would have been about average, on this season she's a genius.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I think maybe having a vocalist who plays helps weed out the "karaoke"-type singers - with Casey and Crystal (and to a lesser extent, a couple others), you've got real musicians rather than just attractive people who can carry a tune. (Actually, I think Casey's good looks detract from his talent - a shame, really.) I don't agree that an instrument is a crutch - I see it as an enhancement. Most admirable to me is the vocalist who can do it all - sing, play, songwrite. I think it's a natural evolution for AI, looking for those who can do more.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Why not just ban all musical accompaniment and do an acapella week also? Seriously, they do it in audition, do it live on stage. I know some of the contestants have in previous seasons. I would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3869539;
    Why not just ban all musical accompaniment and do an acapella week also? Seriously, they do it in audition, do it live on stage. I know some of the contestants have in previous seasons. I would love to see that.
    That would really separate the wheat from the chaff. Great idea!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3869539;
    Yes, that's a clever improvement on my idea from the first post. It's an even better equalizer the way you've tweaked it--don't just ban them playing their own instruments that special week, but also the backing band.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

I get the frustration with this year's lineup of sub-par coffee house crooners clutching guitars (or pianos): Katelyn, Lily, Didi, Andrew, Alex to name a few, YMMV. But the 'hiding behind their instruments" concept confuses me. Are you saying that:

A.) If they would only step away from the guitar that they would suddenly discover this amazing performance ability and finally dazzle us with their talent that was being hindered by having to play an instrument, or...

B.) If they performed without their instrument they would suck twice as much as they do now.

If you are thinking of result A, then I think you are being uncharacteristically optimistic. Most of these people are mediocre, plain and simple. If you are lobbying for result B, then I have to say why is this in my interest as a viewer? I want to be entertained. I want the contestants to be as good as they possibly can be. If playing an instrument shows them at their best, then great. Maybe I will vote for them. Unless I don't like it, in which case I vote for someone else.

This seems fair to me - everyone has the chance each week to be as good as they can be and earn my vote. Having people perform with one hand tied behind their back seems pointless - especially in this crop of contestants. I have no interest in making the performance shows worse than they already are.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-05-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3870049;
    B.) If they performed without their instrument they would suck twice as much as they do now.
    That right there.

Maybe two people, three tops, can sing halfway decently this season and all but one have been pure karaoke week to week. The thing is that anyone can learn to play the guitar, even the piano. However, no amount of practice will give anyone an ounce of singing talent. That's something you either just have or you just don't. Take away a mediocre singers' guitar - whether he can play it well or not - and all you have is a mediocre singer who can no longer rely on a prop for their performance.

And, I think it's not unreasonable to expect the contestants on a singing competition to actually, you know, be able to sing and sing better than the average person. There are a myriad weak-voiced singers out there who can play the guitar or piano. It's cute but it's not great art if you're not really great at it.

I guess, as idle TV entertainment, all of this mediocrity would be a-okay but AI is going to spit these people out at the other end of the conveyor belt by season's end. At least one, if they're very lucky, will end up on radio although none of these vanilla flavored snore-inducing crooners should be on radio to get in line among the other 184574 snore-inducing crooners already on there.

If I were ever inclined to vote again - which I'm not as there's nothing here worth voting for - would I vote for somebody with good guitar skills (if they had any) and just passable vocals? Absolutely not. Not unless they rename this thing The American Guitar And/Or Piano Contest - Singing Talent Optional Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3870099;
    That right there.

Maybe two people, three tops, can sing halfway decently this season and all but one have been pure karaoke week to week. The thing is that anyone can learn to play the guitar, even the piano. However, no amount of practice will give anyone an ounce of singing talent. That's something you either just have or you just don't. Take away a mediocre singers' guitar - whether he can play it well or not - and all you have is a mediocre singer who can no longer rely on a prop for their performance.

And, I think it's not unreasonable to expect the contestants on a singing competition to actually, you know, be able to sing and sing better than the average person. There are a myriad weak-voiced singers out there who can play the guitar or piano. It's cute but it's not great art if you're not really great at it.

I guess, as idle TV entertainment, all of this mediocrity would be a-okay but AI is going to spit these people out at the other end of the conveyor belt by season's end. At least one, if they're very lucky, will end up on radio although none of these vanilla flavored snore-inducing crooners should be on radio to get in line among the other 184574 snore-inducing crooners already on there.

If I were ever inclined to vote again - which I'm not as there's nothing here worth voting for - would I vote for somebody with good guitar skills (if they had any) and just passable vocals? Absolutely not. Not unless they rename this thing The American Guitar And/Or Piano Contest - Singing Talent Optional Idol.
    And THAT is why I love this forum. I totally agree with this.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3869532;
    (Actually, I think Casey's good looks detract from his talent - a shame, really.) .
    I thought the same thing from the start.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast