+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

Who is John Galt?

Re: What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

Honestly - the girls caved. They just didn't have it when it mattered. Except for Crystal, I don't see any of the girls even coming close to winning the competition.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I have to wonder how the attention to a few contestants affects the rest. They have to know that Crystal gets most of the buzz and although favored to win, even if she doesn't, she has already firmly established herself in this business. When Melissa Etheridge says Crystal is her spawn and Kelly Clarkson says Crystal is her favorite, the others have to wonder if they can ever catch up. That has to do something to their heads. Siobhan, Mike and Casey have some buzz, and that probably helps them mentally, but the others get mostly bad press, or no press at all. It has to be hard to get up on stage and give it your all when you know that all along, at least 80% of the audience has written them off in favor of Crystal and possibly Siobhan, Mike, and Casey.

FORT Newbie

TopCatDC,

You don't think the young viewers vote disproportionally?

Also, TS got me thinking about the way voting goes one down each week. Probably the case often that the eventual winner would not have been the biggest vote getter had all 12 finalists been going the entire time. That is, garnering other contestants votes, and the demographics of the final 12 greatly influences the eventual winners.

does Fantasia (my favorite ever) win if there are not so many strong black performers that year, who help keep interst among black viewers. By the way, has any performer out shown the up-until-then-standard like Fantasia did?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary;3870207;
    TopCatDC,You don't think the young viewers vote disproportionally?
    ...Also, TS got me thinking about the way voting goes one down each week. Probably the case often that the eventual winner would not have been the biggest vote getter had all 12 finalists been going the entire time. That is, garnering other contestants votes, and the demographics of the final 12 greatly influences the eventual winners...
    They probably do send in more votes on average than their elders - but remember that the flip side is that there are a whole lot more older viewers. So the older viewers don't have to vote as much to make their presence known. Add to that the fact that there are a lot of mature viewers that are quite willing to dial / text their fingers off for the right candidate (like me). Ask last year's Kris and Adam fans - you will find that they were quite motivated, and ran across all age groups.

And your point about the way the votes split between contestants is quite true. Idol favors contestants who have no competitors in their style. It's much easier to survive week to week, even if there are better people in another style.

For example, Kristy Lee Cook was the only country artist in Season 7 and lasted half way through the finals despite giving some pretty terrible performances. Lil Rounds did the same thing last year and was probably helped by the fact that she was the only R&B diva.

This year all the quirky guitar girls had to fight for votes - made all the more difficult by Crystal pretty much claiming that genre for herself. So if you want to blame someone for the early demise of Katelyn, Didi, or Lily - throw it at Crystal. She killed them off by sucking up the entire coffee house vote. The queen will not tolerate rivals. Casey, watch your back - you are next in her sights.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3870230;
    For example, Kristy Lee Cook was the only country artist in Season 7 and lasted half way through the finals despite giving some pretty terrible performances.
    Umm...my husband voted for Kristy Lee Cook and it had nothing to do with her vocals or genre, and I suspect the same may have been true for other men

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123