+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

Re: What Happened to this Season Being Strong for the Girls

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC View Post
    We do know who watches the show - and it ain't teenagers. The Idol demographic has gone up every year as ratings are collected. It's biggest base is the 30 - 50 year old viewers. In other words, it's the parents of the teens that are watching. Which means that for many teens, Idol is not cool - it's their parent's show. For my boomer generation, it would be like watching Mitch Miller, Ed Sullivan, or Lawrence Welk when we were growing up.

Sure, some teens watch and vote. But can they alone dictate who advances and who falls - no. They are a minority demographic. Their affect is felt in the margins - such as lifting T Urban just slightly above the lowest total votes.
    Exactly! The kids at my middle school seem to think American Idol is lame. They're all crazy over Twilight and Rob Pattinson et al. Haven't heard a single girl oohing and ahhing over the likes of Tim Urban.

And don't Baby Boomers like me and you seem predominate on this board? Actually, I chose it because the people on here seem intelligent and articulate, and can put together a decent English sentence...

The bolded part above - the reference to Ed Sullivan, Lawrence Welk, and Mitch Miller cracked me up. But you're right -- my 23-year-old daughter wouldn't be caught dead watching Idol. To her, it's a lame "Mom" thing...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mossome;3867842;
    I really think the time has passed for the success of the females on the show. Too many girls (especially young one) vote and they don't vote for their own but instead which guy seems to be the cutest in their mind regardless of talent. What else could explain Kris Allen beating Adam Lambert last year.
    This is at least the third straight year that the guys have taken over after the final 12. I think it's more of a voting inequitity moreso than a talent inequity.

It's really about personal favorites first including music styles, the singers personal stories second, and actual singing talent third.

I think Crystal will probably be the last female standing but I can see it as 5 guys of the last 7 or 8 singers standing. Crystal is likely not going to end up winning because I just don't see her having the kind of personality to gain massive votes versus guys like Michael, Casey or Aaron.

My pick for the winner this year is Michael Lynch. He is good but he is also alot more interesting than Crystal. Crystal would probably win if the finale was between 3 or 4 singers but in a one on one against the top 3 guys I can see her going down.

I think that what explains Kris beating Adam was that more people liked Kris, plain and simple. He is an extremely talented singer, arranger, and songwriter, and a very nice and humble guy, to boot. I'm hardly a teenage girl, and I voted for Kris last year because I really liked his voice, his style, and his overall musical talent. Although I could appreciate Adam's talent, I did not care for his singing.

This year, I think Crystal is fantastic. I don't think that her personality will prevent her from garnering votes. I also don't think that time has passed for a female to win, based on talent or any other factor. Season 7 didn't have any girls that impressed me, and Allison was the only one I enjoyed from Season 8, but she wasn't my favorite. The judges have been using the wrong criteria for selecting the girls they put through to the semis, in my opinion.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3867960;
    IMHO the really bad singers outweight the really good ones. I can't keep losing hours of my life watching this show anymore.
    Seriously, why is this Tim still in this competition? I just don't get it.
    While I hate to admit it, I think Tim's vocals have improved from his first performance in semifinals and hasn't been as bad as some of the others, who went home deservedly. Actually, I don't think his singing is as bad as was Lil's or Scott's last year. His first impression (and second and thrid and fourth), however, made me dislike him, and if he came out performing like Bruce Springsteen next week, he still wouldn't win me over!

I think there remain at least 5 contestants as good as any top 5 we've seen in the past, overall. (and no, Tim is not one of them )

FORT Fogey

I have to agree with TCDC that the pronouncement from AI producers and/or Simon that it was the year of the girl was a ploy to make it so because that's what they felt AI needed after two years of males placing first and second. It may happen..but right now they look pretty silly with only 1/3 female in the top nine

I really think that they should change the rules of voting. Most of the voting block nowadays are the teeners/tweeners (majority girls) and you know how text-savvy (and fast) they are! It is just sad that music nowadays are mostly "superficial" over "substance".

FORT Fan

I think Lilly deserved to go. At first I liked her a lot and thought that her enunciation was unique. I liked the extra stress she put in her enunciation. But as the weeks went on (which were not many) it got over-stressed and way over-stressed. The Pasty Cline song was very affected and unpleasant to listen to. It was like her palate and tongue were glued together and she was trying hard to pry them apart to get some sound out. However, she is a good singer but she needs to be real and less affected.

Paige and Michelle both made the same mistake, IMO. They both have nice big voices but chose to sing soft songs and couldn't do it well. The performance became so mediocre and did not make any impression. They probably deserved to go too.

Putting through Lacey and Didi only for their distinctive tone at the expense of signers like Angela Martin was a big mistake by the judges. Lacey and Didi got eliminated pretty quickly. Who knows how many other good vocalists the judges rejected.

Katelyn was very good. She did not have any background story done on her. But still made it quite far. This is one girl who did almost everything right but still got eliminated too early. She belongs in the top 5 with Crystal, Siobhan, Michael and Casey.

I think TPTB have been trying to tout a "female" season since it began.
    Too many male winners as of late, I guess.

I think if they had really wanted to ensure that, they should have put through some very good females in place of some they did put through this season. Lacey seemed sweet and different but not someone who was going to win. I thought the same with Lily. She started out well but then by the time she did Patsy Cline, she became a caricature, IMO. I think Didi became this year's Megan / Brooke - very pretty and more indie/alternative/folk than mainstream pop - but not a good enough singer in her own merit.

Still, I do find that Crystal is the strongest performer this season and has, week after week, kept up the quality level.
    I do hope Siobhan heeds the constructive criticism the judges have given her, because she's not another bland / generic "pop" star of the month and should have a shot at going far, as well.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3867947;
    We do know who watches the show - and it ain't teenagers. The Idol demographic has gone up every year as ratings are collected. It's biggest base is the 30 - 50 year old viewers. In other words, it's the parents of the teens that are watching. Which means that for many teens, Idol is not cool - it's their parent's show. For my boomer generation, it would be like watching Mitch Miller, Ed Sullivan, or Lawrence Welk when we were growing up.
    As part of the boomer generation, I watched all three of those shows growing up, and I admit to liking the first two. Even Welk was okay on occasion.

What I'm wondering is how many of us boomers are actually voting? I've voted in the past - typically during the finale, and usually only when I stronly prefer one over the other. I never vote on a weekly basis, and rarely cares who gets eliminated before who, except that some I would prefer stay on a little longer so I can see them a few more times.

At this point in the shows history, I'm no longer obsessed with it like I was, probably up through David Cook's season.

I don't think Idol can decide if it wants to be a show that gives people a chance who have never been on the stage or if they want people who are seasoned performers who already know "who they are" musically, and the judges comments are just way more annoying this season (to me) than in past seasons.

I doubt this show will last much longer. Maybe one more season, but unless they can find a way to totally revamp the whole concept, I won't be sad to see it go.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3868111;
    What I'm wondering is how many of us boomers are actually voting? I've voted in the past - typically during the finale, and usually only when I stronly prefer one over the other. I never vote on a weekly basis, and rarely cares who gets eliminated before who, except that some I would prefer stay on a little longer so I can see them a few more times.
    I'm also a Baby Boomer, and I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I do vote, starting with the top 12. I figured that it's like voting in elections -- if you don't vote, you have no basis to complain about the results.

However, I don't sit there and vote for 2 hours! Lordy, no! I put in maybe 20 to 30 votes, splitting in the early weeks and narrowing it down as we get closet to the end. Generally I am done voting in the first 15 minutes after the show ends. Power voters (or the extremely obsessed) are always going to cancel me out.

I honestly can't see the claim that the guys are more dominant than the girls.

Lets dismiss talent. Just in terms of who seems to be getting the most buzz (that's different from talent), it seems like we've got Crystal and Siobahn vs. Michael and Casey. That's 50/50 for the genders.

Lil' Aaron isn't going to last, and Tim is getting the teenaged girl vote, but can't go all the way, I think. Andrew is doomed, and on the other side, Katie The Teenaged Robot is as well.

Lee is a bit of a wildcard, I'd say. He's hard for me to predict. Even still, I'd be really surprised if he makes that leap to Top 4. If its a top 5? Yes, there's inherently got to be a gender imbalance since its an odd number. And since the ONLY other female LEFT is Katie, and she's unlikely to even last another week, it won't be her.

Didi, Lacey and Paige all going certainly makes it SEEM like "Year of the females" is a lie. But really, its only the Top 2 which really matters to that kind of prediction. And the top 2 ARE likely to be females, unless Siobahn is really reaching some kind of creative wall here, and then indeed its likely to be 1 male, 1 female.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast