+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How To Fix American Idol

How To Fix American Idol

Well I read this on another site, and thought it was a great idea.

Have people vote for who they want eliminated, not who should go through.

This would solve all the problems with American Idol.

Re: How To Fix American Idol

Works for me. Also - get rid of Kara.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3864722;
    Works for me. Also - get rid of Kara.
    Ditto.

IDEAL JUDGES:

Gordon Ramsay
    Anne Robinson (Weakest Link)
    Simon Cowell

What do the first two have to do with music? Nothing - just like Ellen!

FORT Fan

Get rid of "Theme Nights". Let the Contestants sing what they are good and comfortable with.

Limit the number of votes like on Dancing with the Stars.

Go back to three judges.
    Although Canadian Idol has always had four judges, whether it be the rotating guest judges or an extra permanent judge, four has just never worked on AI, imo.

The judges should put the best singers through to the top 24.
    Don't worry about having an eclectic mix. We don't need a country singer, two R&B's, a hippie/boho girl, a rocker etc. every season, just put good singers through.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Well, before we can talk about fixing it, we have to talk about what's wrong with it.

Maybe I just have a a high tolerance for entertainment frustration, but the only thing that is currently bothering me on AI is the plethora of modestly talented, inexperienced contestants. If they could fix that (the mix in Seasons 7 & 8 were much better) I would watch happily. Of course, there would still be lots to complain about, but mostly that would do it for me.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Here's my one minute on the soap box:

Limiting the number of votes is NEVER going to happen, because it's about the only way AI has to "toot their own horn". You will notice they never say we had 30 million VIEWERS . . . . it's 30 millions VOTES. Flaunting the numbers is publicity and there is a segment of the population who are impressed by that.

I don't see that it matters anyway. To say that it's all the fan-girlie tweens and teens doing mass voting is inaccurate. My daughter, who is 20 now, has been watching since season two. Last time she voted was for Elliott Yamin. Do the math - she had at least 7 years when she should have been working her fingers to the bone pushing the redial button but didn't. I'm more likely to vote many, many times and I am far removed from that age group.

As long as no one is denied the chance to vote, it doesn't matter if you vote 10 times or 100 times. Whether you view the triple-digit voters as "dedicated" or "obsessed" . . . you have the opportunity to match them vote for vote.

Stepping down and offering my two cents:

One way I believe the show could be improved would be to change the way the judges see the performances.

It would mean restructuring the entire show, but here's my theory:

Since they often critique the first performers harsher than the last few . . . OR . . . give undue praise to a mediocre performance simply because it followed an awful one, it would seem like a good idea to have the judges view a recording of the contestants in some sort of random order.

It would also help for them to be "sequestered" and have to give their OWN opinions rather than copy what the judge before them said.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I know of a perfect fix: Cancel the damn thing already.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

One of the things that needed to be fixed was stopping the Paula nonsense, and that has happened. Last season, when she and Simon were so busy drawing on each other's faces and such that they couldn't pay attention to or be respectful to the contestants, it was disgraceful - adding that to her already goofy (to say the least) behavior and comments was enough to do her in.

Another they've toned down this year is the sob stories...I mean backstories. The Gokification has been limited this year, thank goodness.

One thing I wish they would change is the fact that the judges listen to and base their critiques on the dress rehearsals, which I believe, based on some of their comments, are often considerably different in quality than what we hear live - the "did they just hear what we heard?" phenomenon. Another is putting the talent through, rather than the demographic or marketability they are looking for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast