+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How To Fix American Idol

Re: How To Fix American Idol

Loved taking the survey - thanks! With all the mentors' names listed in a row, I realized just how much I didn't like most of them. I'll say it again, I thought Barry Manilow was one of the only ones who actually mentored them in any way. He listened to them with a critical ear and gave them meaningful suggestions for improvement. I'm going to have to see if I can find any clips of this, but I do remember being impressed. Unlike Jamie Foxx and Usher and heavenforbid Miley.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3904301;
    Loved taking the survey - thanks! With all the mentors' names listed in a row, I realized just how much I didn't like most of them. I'll say it again, I thought Barry Manilow was one of the only ones who actually mentored them in any way. He listened to them with a critical ear and gave them meaningful suggestions for improvement. I'm going to have to see if I can find any clips of this, but I do remember being impressed. Unlike Jamie Foxx and Usher and heavenforbid Miley.
    I just took it too. Slammed the mentors, mostly because they ahven't been very good, though I did rate HCJ highly!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

1. Go back to 3 judges.

2. Ditch Kara, Randy and Ellen (PLEASE ditch KARA!) and replace them with people who actually sing for a living (e.g., Harry Connick, Jr.; Carole King; Cyndi Lauper; Gloria Estefan; Seal; Gene Simmons) and can give constructive criticism/advice.

3. Get control of Seacrest.

4. When it gets down to the final 5, make each contestant sing the same song to see who does it best; or, for comic relief, make them each sing a really horrible song (e.g., Muskrat Love, Afternoon Delight, Having My Baby, etc.) to see who can make it sound the least horrible.

5. Have the final 3 work with a songwriter (no, I don't mean Kara) to compose music and lyrics for an original song and perform it.

6. Drop a bucket of slime on any judge who utters the words "too pitchy," "yo, yo, yo dawg," "make it your own," or "tell us what kind of artist you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3904232;
    Loved rating Kara a 1 and Simon a 10.
    Frankly I'd rank Simon down there as well. He just does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3904741;
    1. Go back to 3 judges.

2. Ditch Kara, Randy and Ellen (PLEASE ditch KARA!) and replace them with people who actually sing for a living (e.g., Harry Connick, Jr.; Carole King; Cyndi Lauper; Gloria Estefan; Seal; Gene Simmons) and can give constructive criticism/advice.

3. Get control of Seacrest.

4. When it gets down to the final 5, make each contestant sing the same song to see who does it best; or, for comic relief, make them each sing a really horrible song (e.g., Muskrat Love, Afternoon Delight, Having My Baby, etc.) to see who can make it sound the least horrible.

5. Have the final 3 work with a songwriter (no, I don't mean Kara) to compose music and lyrics for an original song and perform it.

6. Drop a bucket of slime on any judge who utters the words "too pitchy," "yo, yo, yo dawg," "make it your own," or "tell us what kind of artist you are."
    I agree with most of this!

Funny that the horrible songs are all from the 70s. (Except you forgot Sugar, Sugar by the Archies and Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I've Got Love in my Tummy) by the 1910 Fruitgum Company. (Yes, that was really the name of a group that recorded "bubblegum" songs.) Gag me! to both of those, too.

Occasionally I hear younger people say all the music was good in the 70s... Nope! I was there... I would switch off the radio when those songs played.

Please get rid of Randy. He is the most irrelevant of the judges since AI started. And everyone agrees with this. His judging sucks while he boos Simon whenever Simon gets introduced....which tells about his insecurity.

On The Couch With ‘American Idol’ Judge Randy Jackson MTV Newsroom

Steal Pierce Morgan from AGT to replace Simon (since he's leaving). If not, get Harry Connick Jr. then replace Randy with Ben Folds. Ellen is there for comedy but i'd rather have someone with actual musical background. Reduce the number of judge to three if getting rid of Ellen, which means Kara will have to stay as the lone female judge. If you must have 4, put in Patti Labelle.

To create more interest, when it gets down to the final 6, give the contestants 6 songs that they will have to choose from and will have to fight for (ala Rockstar) or decide for themselves who would sing what and if someone ends up with Britney Spears' Hit me Baby One More Time, then it will make it very interesting.

Bring back the Wildcard round but let America choose which wildcards move on. I like the format when during that Season when America votes in (not out) contestants to make the top 12. Every week the two top vote getters are voted into the top 12. When the top 12 is complete, then lowest vote getter gets eliminated every week. The Reuben vs. Clay Season was like this and has been the most successful season, I believe.

When it gets down to the Final 4, let them sing duet with another Artist as their 2nd song, i.e. David Archuleta with One Republic. Final 3, duet with each other as their 3rd song. Final 2, a medley of songs for their 1st song.

Don't select contestants only because they have a good backstory or unique, or handicapped and ignoring the fact that they are mediocre singers, i.e. Scott MacIntyre, Megan Corkrey. Or because they are cute, i.e. Tim Urban. Or because they have potential especially if they are too young to be in the show (16, 17) i.e. Haley Vaughn., Select contestants based on pure talent, substance over style, not because they are entertaining...i.e. Nick Mitchell, Sanjaya, Tatiana. Select them because they actually are talented, i.e. Ricky Braddy, Angela Martin, Jermaine Purifoy.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 05-16-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Raise the age limit to 18-30 yo. If they have to choose between a 16yo vs. a 29yo, they should choose the older contestant given the fact that the older contestant will not qualify for next year if he/she wanted to re-audition while the younger can re-audition for many years, i.e. Haley Vaugh vs. Angela Martin.

Forget trying to equalize the genders. Just take the best talents regardless of gender or demographics or personality or sob story. I have mixed feelings about the Judges' save. In order that the better talent moves on they should instead follow the America's Best Dance Crew format where they announce who are moving on, they perform right away and get judged. During the process, they announce who are n the bottom 2. Bottom 2 performers battle it out in a sing off, and judges will save the better talent. This format will render Vote for The Worst ineffective (who got Taylor Hicks to win AI).

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady;3904822;
    I agree with most of this!

Funny that the horrible songs are all from the 70s. (Except you forgot Sugar, Sugar by the Archies and Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I've Got Love in my Tummy) by the 1910 Fruitgum Company. (Yes, that was really the name of a group that recorded "bubblegum" songs.) Gag me! to both of those, too.

Occasionally I hear younger people say all the music was good in the 70s... Nope! I was there... I would switch off the radio when those songs played.
    Except Sugar Sugar was a hit in 1969 & Yummy Yummy etc. 1968.

Yeah, you're right. I realized after I had already made that post that I was actually in middle school when those two horrible songs were popular, and I was thinking it was about '68 or '69.

Even though I was a middle school kid at the time, it appears I had good enough taste in music to peg those songs as syrupy-sweet nonsense.

I guess I'm officially "old"...

Make the judges:

Harry Connick Jr. - (solo)
    Queen Latifa - (solo)
    Dave Mustaine - (Megadeth)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast