+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: 3/24 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/24 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLuv;3862856;
    By the way, to open a new can of worms, I thought that most of the ethnic minorities got voted off between top 24 and top 10. Just an observation.

Which is (I think) what provoked the remark on The View.

I also think that not as many people are watching all the auditions and preliminary rounds nor do they consider it as important to vote in them unless they have an absolute favorite. Personally, I've tired of the protracted AI seasons and I think naming the Top12, but only having "room for 10" on the tour is silly. Start with 20 and narrow it to 10 if necessary.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3862813;
    I believe part of it is because this season in particular there are few to vote for simply based on talent. I have already outed myself on the fact that I root for Lee ... note I said root not vote ... because he's a local guy, and similarly, there are just some people who will actually vote for Mike because he has some talent and he happens to be African American (not necessarily in that order.)

I like Crystal the best because I really enjoy listening to her, she seems genuine, has a LOT of talent and frankly to ME nobody compares. I wish Siobhan the best and certainly think she's a talented young lady, but I think she reaches a different audience. There have been so many negative remarks about how Crystal looks that I just hope it doesn't come down to who looks better rather than who sings better.

The bottom line is that some partiality/bias enters into every vote be it race, ethnicity, looks, hometown, back story, etc.
    A good example might very well be Clay v. Reuben. It's interesting to note how Clay's popularity for (supposedly) "that voice" dropped dramatically after his choice of lifestyle was publicized. "That voice" didn't change, but his demographic did. I'm not sure what happened to Reuben, except he hasn't seemed to take care of himself and make the most of his opportunities, and being very overweight and struggling with it on stage may make people have a harder time relating to him.
    When I see clips of Cass ( Mama Cass) Elliott, I frequently think that if she would have been less weighty we might have been able to enjoy that voice for longer.

But I digress, the point is that something besides talent almost always enters into people's voting choice, but that is just my humble opinion.

My point exactly.

If AI viewers strictly voted on ability, we would not have had some of the past winners (and losers) that we've had.

Voting is totally subjective.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Speaking of Mama Cass Elliott, I thought Lilly Scott should have sang Dream A Little Dream Of Me, Move In A Little Closer Baby or Make Your Own Kind Of Music. I really think she would have done a good job of it and would have made it to the top 12. It fits her style. Unfortunately, her style is just not popular to the viewing masses.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3862813;
    I believe part of it is because this season in particular there are few to vote for simply based on talent. I have already outed myself on the fact that I root for Lee ... note I said root not vote ... because he's a local guy, and similarly, there are just some people who will actually vote for Mike because he has some talent and he happens to be African American (not necessarily in that order.)

I like Crystal the best because I really enjoy listening to her, she seems genuine, has a LOT of talent and frankly to ME nobody compares. I wish Siobhan the best and certainly think she's a talented young lady, but I think she reaches a different audience. There have been so many negative remarks about how Crystal looks that I just hope it doesn't come down to who looks better rather than who sings better.

The bottom line is that some partiality/bias enters into every vote be it race, ethnicity, looks, hometown, back story, etc. A good example might very well be Clay v. Reuben. It's interesting to note how Clay's popularity for (supposedly) "that voice" dropped dramatically after his choice of lifestyle was publicized. "That voice" didn't change, but his demographic did. I'm not sure what happened to Reuben, except he hasn't seemed to take care of himself and make the most of his opportunities, and being very overweight and struggling with it on stage may make people have a harder time relating to him.
    When I see clips of Cass ( Mama Cass) Elliott, I frequently think that if she would have been less weighty we might have been able to enjoy that voice for longer.

But I digress, the point is that something besides talent almost always enters into people's voting choice, but that is just my humble opinion.

Do you think maybe though the bias might just be musical preference? People tend to like contestants who perform music they would buy. In Season 2, I a white female chose Ruben and Josh because I felt like I would likely enjoy music they made. 1 out of 2 ain't bad I guess (Go Josh!). I liked Ruben's tone and the Luther style, but his cd skewed too young and hip and really opposite of what he did on Idol. IMO that was his downfall, not his weight. He actually does have a gospel career and his voice is suited for that.

Everyone talks about race bias. Well maybe there is that because African Americans tend to prefer a particular style of music over something else. I'd be willing to bet Michael gets the bulk of the African American vote because he does a style they enjoy. I'm also willing to bet that Kellie Pickler's supporters were predominantly white for the same reason. Not a lot of African Americans at the Grand Ole Opry in case you haven't noticed.

That being said, I am sure African Americans were shaking their heads at Mike's first week song choice. That went away from what I feel his voice is best suited for -- Luther style music.

In the end though I think it comes down to whose cd would I most likely buy? Talent is a part of it, but for me at least I also want to see a winner I would actually support.

Season 1 I really did not have a favorite as my viewing was more casual.
    Season 2 I liked Ruben and Josh but ironically preferred Clay's cd to Ruben's and anything Josh has put out to any of them. And I don't hate Clay because of his lifestyle. I can't stand his snotty little holier than thou attitude though.
    Season 3 I did not like anybody really.
    Season 4 I liked both Bo and Carrie and bought both cd's.
    Season 5 I liked Elliott and Chris and enjoyed looking at Ace. Both Elliott and Chris have put out fantastic cd's although I think Chris' second effort was less stellar than his debut. Elliott has the voice, and Chris has the natural stage presence. Both have impressed me.
    Season 6 I liked David Cook and Jason Castro. I did not buy either cd though.
    Season 7 I was over all of them by the end. Melinda had the best voice, but I get tired of judges pimping.
    Season 8 I liked Kris, and I've bought select tracks on itunes. I thought he was brilliant with subtly changing songs.

For this season I do see myself enjoying music put out by Casey and Michael. I might also look into Crystal, Sibhoan, Lee, and Didi. I do think I'm going to get sick of the judges pimping whoever (most likely Crystal) and I'll be ready for her to go. Casey and Micheal may not be better than Crystal, but for my style they are.

Music is subjective. There is a lot of it I don't like. But in the end on Idol I'll vote for who I might buy and not necessarily who you or Simon or America thinks is the best. It's as simple as that.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

+ Reply to Thread