+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3861828;
    After a long exhausting day I come home to watch the DVR version of Idol. I love DVR version..l can fast forward the mumbo jumbo, commercials, and awful performances-which I seem to do alot this season!

This season should (I say this loosly) come down to a solid final 2 with Big Mike(we need a "Luther" type singer to come along and give R & B some "juice".... and Crystal, of course Siobhan could possibly steal the show. After watching all the idol wannabes Istill find myself still singing "Bobby Magee"...
    I don't think Mike will win as I think a female F2 is in the cards this season and unless there is a Jennifer Hudson/Daughtry type surprise after F5 ... it will be Crystal and Siobhan. By the way, I'm still singing too.

I will keep Aaron over Tim (Disney please sign this guy he will make you a fortune with the "tween" crowd) and take Katie with you!
    In a way, Aaron's a replay of David A They are cuties, and as said before, I keep hoping for a Clay Aiken moment with Tim but it's not happening. Maybe they could cast these two ... Tim and Katie ... to play Donny & Marie in a movie ?

As for the "worst of the night"..I say let's have a double elimination and end the torture thus sending both Paige and Andrew home! Andrew should such promise, but obviously he wasa one hit wonder!
    While it made my ears bleed, I was thinking maybe Paige was still sick ... or are these just her excuses ? I am also sad to say that Andrew is just a big disappointment to me and I think many ! It's looking like "Straight Up" was just a fluke.

That leaves Didi who could be interesting with the right song..and Mr. Casey James, let me tell you something he may not have great chops, but whatever he is selling ...I am buying! I find myself smiling, and enjoying his performances..(could be the wine!)
    There is something about Didi's voice that I like and I think you are right about the "right" song. Her take on "you're no good" was
    Casey is not too bad but then I had no wine.

For the most part I think this a HO-HUM season, one of those seasons that will be a "who cares who wins event." It seems that those in charge of "selecting" the talent are filling pre- determined holes for each to fit into...such a shame when the mere idea of this show was to find the next great recording artist.
    I think you missed Lee ... and I arrived home late and missed his first up performance so I can't comment except to say he's a local guy so I'm rooting for him.

I agree about the ho-humness of the season ... but hope that Crystal wins ... but then again she will win no matter what the outcome as last nights performance and judge and audience reaction illustrated.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote;3861701;

...And in a small sidenote, I was really fed up with "Bobby McGee" as the Joplin tune Crystal chose. Why do they keep using that number and not choose a better and less-repeated one by Joplin?
    I think the songs they can choose are limited by the royalties AI has to pay. Also I missed the beginning of the show so was the theme Billboard Number One ? Were there other Joplin's that were number One ?

Last funny thought for the night: I've had a tendency to consider a tinge of conspiracy theories when it comes to AI alone, and the selections, but I'm really beginning to wonder if they pick many of the less talented, those medium and lesser lights, deliberately, to pave the way for how they want it to go and to stir up the controversies that come along with them, to make "better television programming" being it's a "Reality" show.

It sure seems to me that there have had to have been far more major talents than 2 that they could really choose earlier on. Maybe it is the way it is because that's their formula!

I'll be interested to hear other theories, but I may not be so far off the mark on this one. I wonder...
    I think that they certainly pave the way to put $$$$ in their pockets. Since they get marketing rights for all of those they select, it's hard to think they would give up that right by not selecting those they feel are marketable, but I'm not sure.

I think the way these auditions are whittled down is a good indicator. I think they start with the best voices and go from there. I think then some of the selections are to get some variety in the mix of contestants and also to assure broad show audience appeal. I think that they absolutely try to make sure that appeal is both in voice and singing talent, music genre, what they think is current or the next big thing, etc., but also take into consideration age, race, looks, lifestyle and back story etc. It's all a balancing act, but then that's just my opinion.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I'm still singing it too... been all day.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3861921;
    I think the songs they can choose are limited by the royalties AI has to pay. Also I missed the beginning of the show so was the theme Billboard Number One ? Were there other Joplin's that were number One ?
    That was the only one. I was thinking Piece of My Heart was too, but I just checked and it topped out at #12.

ETA: Cheap Thrills, the album that Piece of my Heart was on, hit #1 for albums, but the single Piece of My Heart only reached #12.
    Last edited by StarryElf; 03-24-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1rg;3861468;
    p.s. siobhan, you can't save every performance with a scream at the end.
    Totally agree! This screeching is getting very OLD.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3861840;
    I just want to say that in case there is anyone out there who doesn't know it, Janis Joplin's version of Me and Bobby MacGee was not the original. Joplin did a cover of the song, which was written by Kris Kristofferson and first recorded by Roger Miller, who had a hit with it in the late 1960s. Joplin (who was a friend of Kristofferson) recorded it shortly before her death. I've always personally preferred Roger Miller's version, and I liked Crystal's take on it better than Joplin's. I would like to hear her do the whole song.
    I have never liked a Joplin cover, mainly because I'm a hardcore long-time Joplin fan, but Crystal's was okay. She didn't try to sound like Janis (see Amanda Overmyer, uggghhhhh) but otherwise it was an exact copy, same runs even. Nothing wrong with that, though. Something prevents me from really liking Crystal, but I did like her a little better after last night. I think Ellen had a valid point - there's a little bit of disconnect between Crystal and her audience, but it's hard to qualify.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My two "laugh out loud" moments from the night: Miley Cyrus trying to mentor Crystal on doing Janis Joplin, and Casey saying, "I'm a big fan... (pause)... of your dad."
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3862088;
    Casey saying, "I'm a big fan... (pause)... of your dad."
    I loved it!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

wow...crystal and siobhan are amazing! IMO the two best ever on Idol. Both will be very successful. I don't get the popularity of Big Mike but to each their own. Crystal and Siobhan should ditch idol and form a band ala John and Paul

so i heard one of the idols is having a baby--anyone know who it is? my guess is crystal, or maybe paige, maybe that's why she's sucking so much lol

while siobhan has a good voice, the screaming needs to stop! that's why i never a big fan of adam lambert, the constant screaming is too much

i think didi has a good voice, but most likely will be leaving very soon, along with paige, andrew, and tim hopefully

+ Reply to Thread