+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by marlap;3861535;
    Loved Crystal, once again! Best Janice rendition any other Idol has ever attempted. The girl has natural talent, pure soul, and really sings every song.

Still voting for Crystal to win it all.

Loved Casey tonight. Great vocal!...I thought Casey sounded like Bob Seeger and reminded me of Seeger's Night Moves. Aaron gets better every week to me....love this kid.

Big Mike was good and so was Lee, but I'm not sure they're stars.

Everyone else was meh...poor Paige was awful.

I loved Siobhan's voice until the last couple of weeks. I agree with Simon...she's screaming too much. I don't like it when she oversings.
    This echoes my sentiments almost exactly! You know what they say about great minds thinking alike...

Bolded part is so true of Casey. He should perform "Night Moves".

That said, Casey needs a "moment" singing a ballad and looking all beautiful with a halo of light around his (clean-looking) blond hair, similar to "Heaven", SOON! Or he will be eliminated sooner than perhaps he should be.

THANK YOU UNKLESCOTT!!!! for posting the performance links. I watch the first hour and then turn to Lost and try to catch AI during commercials, but last night the commercials synched up and I missed the whole second half.
    Count your blessings!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I was wondering when Simon would tire of Siobhan's power notes at the end. The problem is, he is the one to blame for her doing it every week. She did it the first time with "Think" (at least during live performances). Then the following week when she didn't do a big note at the end, he complained that there was no "moment." I remember wondering why he was encouraging her to have a big note at the end of every song every week. It would get old. And it has. It must be so confusing for the contestants, as has been commented on many times. One week they're told to do one thing (like take a risk), and when they do it, they are criticized for doing it. Of course, risks are only good moves if the risk works.

I know she's not popular with you guys, but I love Didi and her voice. If she puts out an album, I'll buy it. Same with Lee. I like Crystal, Siobhan and Casey, but Didi and Lee are my favorites. They have a different sound and when they open their mouth to sing, you could be in another room and immediately know who was on stage.

Paige was horrible. I've never found her to be very good and can't understand the judges pimping of her, but last night was exceptionally bad. But damn, that girl has the most beautiful eyes. Stunning.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nutty1;3861170;
    Lilly & Lacey deserved to be here so much more than these last 2 performers.
    Don't forget Katelyn! She deserves to be there over Paige and she deserved to be there over Lacey! Lilly did too, even though I wasn't a huge fan of hers. But she was definitely better than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac;3861737;
    Don't forget Katelyn! She deserves to be there over Paige and she deserved to be there over Lacey! Lilly did too, even though I wasn't a huge fan of hers. But she was definitely better than the other two.
    Every season there are one or two "what the heck?" contestants!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I never had anything against Miley Cyrus (except that when I finally heard that song "Party in the U.S.A." I realized why I had heard so many make fun of it on various tv shows - but I actually like "The Climb"). I did think it was strange that she was chosen to mentor a group of people, mostly older than her, on Billboard #1 week. Teen Idol week, I could've understood. Nevertheless, I think much of her advice was total bosh, and some of it did not serve the contestants well.

Telling Lee to "give them a few notes that they wouldn't expcet from you" - Lee's range and power notes are not his strength. He needs to keep it gritty and emotionally intense. His performance last night was very Taylor Hicks - not bad, but light and peppy - and this does not play to Lee's strengths.

Telling Paige "Your voice is just as powerful when you sing really soft as when you start to belt it out" - NOT TRUE. There needs to be a warning label flashing across the screen before Paige sings softly (WARNING: What you're about to hear may cause motion-sickness and disorientation). Remember "Smile"? Paige stepped it up last week and gave her best performance, even though she was sick, with a bluesey-rockin' song where she really laid it all out there. Her softer side (vocally) just isn't pretty. And I can't help but believe that she is still sick or has a new bug that affected her singing last night.

For Tim, Miley said, "It's not the personality that he's lacking," adding that he should do some riffs and beilt it out. Actually, part of it was the personality that was lacking. Sadly, it was vocals too. Sorry, Miley, Tim doesn't have a voice that can do riffs or belt it out. BUT, and I hate to say this, after rewatching his performance, I have to totally reassess my opinion of Tim. I actually saw the appeal. Ellen was exactly right about it looking like an audition for High School Musical and being corny, but I'm not sure that was a bad thing for Tim to do. It took the focus off of his limited vocal skills, and I think he gae it more of a 50's teen idol sound and performance. If they had kept the Teen Idols theme, this would've hit the mark. Wow, I can't believe I just said that. I am rolling my eyes and thinking there must be a rift in the universe.

I didn't hear Miley offer any actual advice to Aaron - he was lucky. But their interactions, and his sweet and genuine admiration for her, were precious. Aaron has a successful career ahead of him, in my opinion.

Crystal - all I have to say about that interaction was that I found it strange that Miley didn't seem the least bit honored to get to sign Crystal's guitar, alongside other powerful, beautiful women. And Miley wrote on it like she was writing in someone'e yearbook, where it looked like the others had basically just signed. Crystal probably wants to burn that guitar and start over. And I love everything about Crystal - have since Hollywood week - but I didn't love all that caterwauling on "Bobby McGee." I'll blame that on Miley and just move on.

Mike - Miley had no advice. I think she was scared of him after the bear hug - she knew he could crush her like a bug in a heartbeat! No, she was totally in love with him when he sang to her, all giggly and everything, and that was cute.

Andrew, poor Andrew - Miley told him to lose the guitar, and it was like cutting Samson's hair. No, Andrew can't work the crowd. He has all the swagger of Danny Gokey (NONE!) and needs a prop to occupy his arms and hands. Not a great song choice for Andrew either.

Katie - I think Miley actually gave Katie a boost, both in confidence and in performance. Poor Katie said she's really listened to the judges...big mistake!!! I think Katie did well, but her confidence has taken a beating since top 24. Maybe this will get her on track.

Casey - "I'm a big fan of your dad's." I can't stop laughing!!!! Probably good advice she gave him - I'm sure a look from Casey would win over any girl's heart! I liked Casey's performance. And he can REALLY play guitar. I think he should make it to top 4. Found it interesting that Ellen said his was the best vocal of the night because she is such a Crystal fan.

If last night's performance was a result of Didi's taking Miley's advice to have confidence and go for it, then it did not serve her well. If that was Didi with confidence, I prefer her without. However, I think it's just that Didi tries SO hard to sound different and stylized, and her attempt at theatrics last night were downright embarrassing. Didi looks 40 years old to me, and that arrangement made it seem like she was channeling an old Rosemary Cooney or something. Give me Megan Joy on replay if that's what it takes, but spare me listening to Didi another week!

Siobhan - Miley didn't have much advice, just admiration, and with good reason! Siobhan can sing Miley under the table. Love Siobhan or hate her, the girl's got AMAZING vocal ability! Don't know why she went for an 80's look last night, and I didn't get the song choice, but Randy's right - the girl is fearless and just goes for it! (I think the "screaming" could be a little more selective, but it doesn't grate on my nerves the way Adam Lambert's shrieks did last year.)

So, my opinion of Miley hasn't changed much - she's just a successful teenage performer out there doing her thing. Her advice was mainly about performance and stage presence rather than specifics about vocals, which is probably a blessing for all concerned.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 03-24-2010 at 11:22 AM.

After a long exhausting day I come home to watch the DVR version of Idol. I love DVR version..l can fast forward the mumbo jumbo, commercials, and awful performances-which I seem to do alot this season!

This season should (I say this loosly) come down to a solid final 2 with Big Mike(we need a "Luther" type singer to come along and give R & B some "juice".... and Crystal, of course Siobhan could possibly steal the show. After watching all the idol wannabes Istill find myself still singing "Bobby Magee"...

I will keep Aaron over Tim (Disney please sign this guy he will make you a fortune with the "tween" crowd) and take Katie with you!

As for the "worst of the night"..I say let's have a double elimination and end the torture thus sending both Paige and Andrew home! Andrew should such promise, but obviously he wasa one hit wonder!

That leaves Didi who could be interesting with the right song..and Mr. Casey James, let me tell you something he may not have great chops, but whatever he is selling ...I am buying! I find myself smiling, and enjoying his performances..(could be the wine!)

For the most part I think this a HO-HUM season, one of those seasons that will be a "who cares who wins event." It seems that those in charge of "selecting" the talent are filling pre- determined holes for each to fit into...such a shame when the mere idea of this show was to find the next great recording artist.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3;3861477;
    I liked Siobhan's (sp?) performance, but agree with Simon that the screaming is going to get old fast. No denying she has a helluva voice, though.
    It got old the first time she used it. I liked her a lot at the beginning, but less and less each week. Her best for me was House of the Rising Sun - with no screeching.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3861587;
    SiobhanCrystal
    Tonight's performance is only one of a handful in the history of idol that was as good as the original. She nailed it.
    I just want to say that in case there is anyone out there who doesn't know it, Janis Joplin's version of Me and Bobby MacGee was not the original. Joplin did a cover of the song, which was written by Kris Kristofferson and first recorded by Roger Miller, who had a hit with it in the late 1960s. Joplin (who was a friend of Kristofferson) recorded it shortly before her death. I've always personally preferred Roger Miller's version, and I liked Crystal's take on it better than Joplin's. I would like to hear her do the whole song.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread