+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I love Aaron too! I think he's got a bright future ahead. Not perfect at this point, but what potential that kid has!

Hmmm...I'm in the midwest and all the lines are busy. Even Paige's.

Miley Cyrus mentoring night...should be interesting...I guess

I hate the Billboard weeks because half the time I don't even know the song.

1. - Lee - The Letter - Not really liking the beginning...it got better in the middle. Didn't like it, though, and I love Lee. And of course the judges disagree with me, like normal.

2. - Paige - Against All Odds - Way off...no likey at all. My ears are bleeding.

3 - Tim - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - why do these guys insist on trying to do Queen? Only Adam has been able to do that without ruining it. Queen should be off limits. Very lounge singerish.

4 - Aaron - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Not bad, the choice scared me at first. I think it is pretty good.

5 - Crystal - Me And Bobby McGee - good choice. I like it. She knows her niche and does a good job. Best of the night so far.

6 - Mike - When A Man Loves A Woman - A little boring, but he sounds great.

7 - Andrew - I Heard It Through The Grapevine -

8 - Katie - Big Girls Don't Cry - this is gonna hurt. Miss Nails on a Blackboard needs to go home.

Hey, there's Gordon &*^%$ Ramsey!

9 - Casey - Power of Love - Big fan of her dad's I am liking this, he sounds great.

10 - Didi - You're No Good - another no. I just can't bring myself to like her this season.

11 - Siobhan - Supersititon - is there a rule that this song has to be sung every season? She is pretty good. Doesn't wow me but not horrible either.

My guess going home would be Paige or Katie....I would rather Katie to save my ears.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fan

Lee DeWyze - I really did not see what the judges saw in him. His vocal ability is so limited. The already hoarse sounding voice completely collapses the second he steps outside his comfort range.
    Paige Miles - When she has a big voice like that why did she have to start so soft and search for the key, like forever. Then she suddenly shoots up and realizes she shot up too high and brings it down and continues to struggle finding it. What a mess! If there is another week for her, she better start the song in her comfort zone, get stable and then venture outside of her comfort zone during the course of the song.
    Tim Urban - His vocals are never great but the boy was a showman. And the judges are crazy. If someone demonstrates vocal ability they want to see showmanship. When someone demonstrates showmanship they tell him not to think too much of himself. The boy was hot. The blazer was hot. The slide was hot. The vampire smile is always hot. However, if he gets another week he better choose a complex composition to prove that he is a vocalist. Enough of the simple and easy breezy compositions.
    Aaron Kelly - His voice was drowned out by the instruments. Hope they correct it next time. Had some pitch issues. But he always delivers the ballad, so sweetly, without messing with the melody. Tonight was not his best. But the boy is not well apparently.
    Crystal Bowersox - Whoa! She moved me. As the song progressed and intensified from the middle to the end my eyes welled up. This girl is my Goddess, today.
    Katie Stevens - Probably her best since top 24. She always chooses nice songs (old or new), and gives it her best. Must give her a lot of credit for choosing big songs and bravely attempting to tackle them.
    Michael Lynche - Great vocal. A bit old-fashioned but so what. Glad he did not do his falsetto.
    Casey James - Great guitar work. Not a bad vocal but nothing great. He hasn't done anything impressive in weeks. And he needs to wipe that smirk off of his face.
    Didi Benami - The song needs attitude. Didi had none. If she gets to stay she must choose simple songs, with just few notes, that will suit her voice and personality.
    Andrew Garcia - Pfft!
    Siobhan Magnus - Did not like the song or the predictable big notes at the end. But Siobhan did not disappoint vocally. She is a powerhouse.
    Miley Cyrus - Better than what I expected. :-)
    Last edited by KennyLuv; 03-23-2010 at 11:25 PM.

NOt a great night -

Poor Paige - that was just so painful.

Here's my beef about the judges and Tim. They tell Katie she needs to be more current. Tim is about as current as it gets and they criticize him for it. He has the Zac Efron hairstyle, moves and Kara and Ellen both said it tonight. For the young girls - that makes them swoon. My 8 year old daughter LOVES him. The crowd that has made Miley, Demi Lovato, Zac and the Jonas Brothers ridiculously rich will do the same for Tim - just listen to the screaming when he comes on stage. Do I think he is right for this competition - not at all. Do I think he could fall into that Disney heartthrob actor singer role - in a heartbeat!

Crystal can sing but still doesn't do it for me.

Siobhan - quite screaming at me! She has a great voice but she said it tonight when she said she loves the big note and would do a whole song of that if she could. Near the end of my song I paused our tivo and said - "This performance hasn't been that spectacular but in about 10 seconds she is going to go for that big note and end up screaming at us and then the judges are going to fall all over her" and hit play. My 8 and 6 year old were AMAZED at my awesome ability to see the future. That note is old and she needs to find her inner singer and embrace it!

I think the top six will be Lee, Casey, Mike, Aaron, Crystal and Siobhan.

I think Paige will go home tomorrow - followed by Tim and Andrew.

FORT Fogey

Are the producers trying to kill this show? First they send in a Top 24 packed with amateurs. Then they pimp the wrong contestants, which leads to a freak voting accident where half the middle tier singers are sent packing, leaving us with a handful of competent singers and whole lot of dreck.

Now we get Miley Cyrus for a mentor, and for the fourth week - a Billboard Top 100 "sing anything" theme. Except, it's not the list of thousands of songs to which Simon keeps referring. We get a night of songs sung (over and over again, mostly) in previous seasons. Thank goodness for Katie and her Fergie cover; I think that was the only new song.

It was just a lackluster show that showed little creativity on anyone's part.

Anyway, on to the ratings. This is where I think they rate in popularity, with letter grades for tonight's performances.

Crystal Bowersox – A-
    “Bobby McGee”
    Very good, authentic Crystal. I think the arrangement suffered a bit from the need to get from the soft beginning to the wailing "Bobby McGee's" in 90 seconds, but Crystal made it work. I agree with the judges that she needs to work on her connection to the audience, though.

Siobhan Magnus – B+
    “Superstition”
    Siobhan inhabits songs in a way that seems to make them come from deep within her muscle and bone. That said, the arrangement is a direct lift from Stevie Wonder, and the screamy note at the end we've heard before and don't really need at the end of every song. But she and Crystal are still miles better than anyone else.

Casey James – B
    “Power of Love”
    Let's look at the positive: Casey has been good every week, and this was his best vocal and his best performance. The negative is that Casey hasn't shown much of an artistic point of view, and this note-for-note recreation of the Huey Lewis original is not breaking any new ground. So Casey stays high on the list, but he's no threat to the Bowersox/Magnus finale.

Michael Lynche – B
    “When a Man Loves a Woman”
    Taking the song straight into Vegas lounge territory was a questionable decision - but it worked for me. Randy questioned the song choice; I didn't. I thought it was just right for Michael. And he scaled back the cheesy arm flailing that hindered his previous performances. Not a home run, but a solid effort.

Didi Benami – C+
    “You’re No Good”
    The singing is fine, but nobody's buying Didi as a femme fatale. Also the lazy swing rhythm isn't earning a lot of points, either.

Lee DeWyze – B-
    “The Letter”
    Lee upped his game, performance-wise. But not enough to really move him up on the list. He's going to have to get much better to break into Michael - Casey territory.

Aaron Kelly – C+
    “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”
    Aaron takes the Armageddon theme firmly into MOR land. But while last week he smartly scaled his vocal back for Angie, this week he reaches for the power ballad and it is (once again) beyond his voice. I don't know what Ellen and Kara were going on about "great song choice" because this was the exact opposite. It was too big, the arrangement was schmaltzy, and it seems to be done every darn year on Idol. It's become a ritual. This song has nothing to do with whoever Aaron may be as an artist.

Tim Urban – C+
    “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”
    It pains me to say it - but this was Tim's best performance, and if this was the first night of semi-finals I would say it was not a bad effort. Unfortunately, I think this will be enough to put him on the tour.

Katie Stevens – C
    “Big Girls Don’t Cry”
    Why do people like Katie? Is it because she's pretty? Her voice has nice tone, but she doesn't yet have control over it. But the killer is that she can't connect to a piece of material. She is the female Tim Urban. (OK, that's a slight overstatement - but the parallel is still there.) It's all about singing and performing - but not at all about the lyric. I never see the reason why she is singing the song.

Andrew Garcia – D
    “I Heard it Through the Grapevine”
    The key was too low; the arrangement did nothing; the vocal was poor; and the performance didn't go beyond the first row. Andrew has clearly packed it in. Someone put him out of his misery and send him home. And Kara - oh please! You did NOT just tell him to go back to "Straight Up"! Don't you think you have tortured the poor guy enough with that already?

Paige Miles – D
    “Against All Odds”
    Dear Idol contestants: Unlike you (apparently) some of us have watched this show for a long time. It is NEVER a good idea to sing this song. It's been trotted out six times before and each time it has tanked. (Thanks, What Not To Sing database.) And now we can add failure #7. I agree with Simon, this is going to be the end of the line for Paige.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 03-23-2010 at 11:33 PM.

FORT Fogey

If Kara plays the "Straight Up" card again, I swear I'll mute her every time she come's on my tv screen from here on out! Is Paula paying her to continually mention this song or something? (I can see them in a dark alley every week for Paula to pay up for Kara's subconsciously reminding people that she still exists. )

Thatwas right on the money, TopCatDC. Gotta ask you, though - how in the world did you manage to listen to enough of Andrew's performance to know that the key was too low??? I couldn't bear to listen to it! It was on par with Paige's excrutiating show. My ears will never be the same.

I wonder if the show would throw us a bone and let 2 people go tomorrow?
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 03-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.

FORT Fogey

Siobhan
    Siobhan is 100x ahead of everyone else (except Crystal) with her song choices, but I kind of agree with a few of the recent criticisms:

She's too stiff on stage; she needs to dance around and engage the audience more
    She does the screetching thing far too much. Here and there is GREAT but not every song. She'll be pegged a one-note wonder (already has been, I fear)

Crystal
    Tonight's performance is only one of a handful in the history of idol that was as good as the original. She nailed it.

Boys
    Not a single one of them does it for me. I'd put Michael on top for voice and performance skills. The blonde kid and Dwayze have potential but they have a long way to go in realizing it. Sad to see Garcia deteriorate in front of our eyes. Tim and the David Archuletta body-double need to go away soon.

Summary
    This is the Crystal show - with Siobhan a few feet behind. It will continue this way until the end, I think.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3861584;
    I wonder if the show would throw us a bone and let 2 people go tomorrow?
    I hope so too. I hope the stupid judges are regretting not putting through Angela Martin and Thaddeus Johnson. I hope the judges are regretting their stupid decision of selecting contestants just based on their tone of voice (you have a great recording voice BS).

+ Reply to Thread