+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: DialIdol/Vote For the Worst Season 9 *possible spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: DialIdol/Vote For the Worst Season 9 *possible spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3878308;
    RLM, I know there are contestants that have zero votes on a state by state basis, but when the other contestants have votes totaling in the hundreds & one person still has zero, that's not good. There are states where there are no votes for anyone, but the states where peoples votes do show up, it's pretty telling when no one is calling in for a particular contestant.
    It just means that the few people who use the DI software didn't vote for the person with zero. A single voter can vote 1000 times in one night. A lot of the times, the state data just represents the votes of a few people. You would expect that a contestant would get votes from people from their own state. That is what you mean, right? I agree. I would expect a contestant to be in trouble if they weren't winning their home state. It's just that there are so few DI users and that they are a group that doesn't accurately represent actual voters. How they are voting doesn't really matter.

FORT Fogey

I've been voting for years, sometimes one or two votes and sometimes voting as much as I could for 2 hours, depending on the contestant. I've never used DialIdol; nor has anyone else I know personally who votes - only via phone/text. I think you were correct earlier when you said that the DialIdol voter was not representative of the voters in general. But I haven't really looked at their results and predictions to see if they bear any accuracty.

FORT Fogey

Looks like Dial Idol's predictions are getting better.
    VFTW has chosen Siobhan. I think it was the obvious choice. I remember when they used to pick contestants that were doomed to fail. She's never even been in the bottom. I guess she's a lock for top 3 now. She has a loyal fan base. Even though she's lost steam, her support is unwavering. That's how Andrew made it so far, I think.

Am I reading DialIdol right? It seems to be suggesting that Crystal is in big trouble this week (thanks, I guess, to Randy "%*&#hole" Jackson trashing her, no doubt and Simon putting her performance on the same level as the massive incompetence of Casey and Aaron).

She's second to last in the "DialIdol score". Her two phone lines are 2 of the bottom 3 in the "Busy percentage". But confusingly enough, however they come up with the "Raw Number" page, she seems to be LEADING there. Its all kind of confusing, I admit.

So on balance... I guess that site is useless.
    Last edited by Krom; 05-05-2010 at 05:48 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3894307;
    Am I reading DialIdol right? It seems to be suggesting that Crystal is in big trouble this week (thanks, I guess, to Randy "%*&#hole" Jackson trashing her, no doubt and Simon putting her performance on the same level as the massive incompetence of Casey and Aaron).

She's second to last in the "DialIdol score". Her two phone lines are 2 of the bottom 3 in the "Busy percentage". But confusingly enough, however they come up with the "Raw Number" page, she seems to be LEADING there. Its all kind of confusing, I admit.

So on balance... I guess that site is useless.
    Dial Idol did not make a prediction last night. Based on its scores anyone can be in first, second, third, fourth, or fifth place. Crystal being at the bottom is meaningless. Raw numbers mean nothing. It only means that most dial idol users voted for her. It does not mean anything more than that! There aren't many people who use dial idol. So I hope that makes things less confusing for you.

In a vote for the worst update, after last night's performances, vftw decided to support Casey James. They wanted to vote for Big Mike because they thought they would try to anger the people who don't like his personality. They decided to go with the worst performance instead.

Must you use DialIdol to vote for the VFTW pick? Here's an article I found telling how Kris Allen won last year thru power text voting officiated by the State of Arkansas:

“I am a student at the University of Central Arkansas in the heart of Conway, AR...Kris Allen's hometown. There was a newspaper article that was produced today by our local newspaper basically about how people could vote so many times for Kris Allen. I'm posting the link for the Conway, Arkansas newspaper as well as an email that was sent out through the UCA listserve that basically explains step by step how these Kris Allen fans or fanatics, if you will, were able to vote so many times. I thought I couldn't do anything about it even though I thought it was a disservice and unfair. I'm glad that I am finally able to expose the people and their obsession with being "put on the map."

Here's the link she's talking about: Record votes for season eight finale

And here's the e-mail she received from the University of Central Arkansas, repeating the KrisAllenNation stuff about power texting:

Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 3:55 PM
    To: (Name deleted)
    Subject: FW: American Idol Power Texting trick for Kris

I know some of you supporting Kris Allen, a great Conway guy, on American Idol. If you're not "into" this contest, you can delete now!
    This following message was posted by Kris's facebook account. It takes a little effort before the voting night, but it looks like it may pay off!
    Here goes:
    Kris Allen fans can triple (at least) the number of votes by power texting. (I usually get 3000 to 5000 votes out in two hours.) Adam and Danny fans have been doing this for weeks.
    Essentially, power texting sends ten votes at a time instead of just one.
    Prerequisites:
    • Must have a cell phone on AT&T. If you don't have one, you can pick up a Go Phone for about $30 at Target, WalMart, or Best Buy.
    • Must have unlimited text plan.
    Power Texting (note: these instruction may differ based upon which kind of phone you have!)
    1. You are going to create ten contacts in your cell phone (Kris1, Kris2, Kris3, etc.).
    2. Create a contact group (also known as a distribution list) and name it something like "Kris For The Win" and add your contacts (Kris1, Kris2, etc.) to the group. If you don't know how to do that, check the manual for your phone or go to the AT&T Support Site
    3. Add the voting number for Kris (570x) to each of the contacts. At this point Kris has two numbers, so you can alternate - five contacts get the first number, five contacts get the second number. Do this during the show before the voting starts.
    4. At the end of the show, send the message "vote" to your "Kris for the Win" contact group. This sends the message to the ten contacts at once. It will take a couple of seconds more than sending a single contact.
    5. Now, resend or forward the same message to your contract group over and over for the next two hours.
    Super Power Texting
    Get a second Go Phone and have ATT give it a number on the opposite side of the country from you. This will let you vote for two hours in Eastern Standard time and then for two hours in Pacific Time

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3905215;
    Must you use DialIdol to vote for the VFTW pick? Here's an article I found telling how Kris Allen won last year thru power text voting officiated by the State of Arkansas...
    Well, I have some questions (and answers). And I don't want to minimize your feelings on this (whatever they may be - you don't really comment), but I do have to point out that most of this is ground that has been very well covered here last year in the post-finale period. Of course, those that weren't here then wouldn't know that, so I expect it will come up again from time to time.

First, can you provide a link to this article? Where was it published? Because it sure doesn't look like an article; it looks like a mass e-mail.

The only thing new here is your (I think those are your words in bold at the beginning of the post) statement that that AI voting was officiated "by the State of Arkansas". I'll talk about the "not new" material below, but about the government sponsored voting charge: Really? Because there is no evidence for that in the quoted article. The "From:" line of the e-mail is blanked out. For such a lofty charge, it would be good to see something more than an anonymous sender of an e-mail quoted in an anonymous article. You can name names; this isn't a matter of national security.

...There was a newspaper article that was produced today by our local newspaper basically about how people could vote so many times for Kris Allen. There was a newspaper article that was produced today by our local newspaper basically about how people could vote so many times for Kris Allen.
    So, the reference to the newspaper dates the article you have posted as nearly a year old; written on May 22, 2009.
    The linked newspaper article I haven't read before, but the information it contains was much discussed right here on FORT last year. Really, the whole country was talking about it, mostly due to Edward Wyatt's series of "exposÚs" in the New York times last May and June. (First one here; second one here; third one here.)

And here's the e-mail she received from the University of Central Arkansas, repeating the KrisAllenNation stuff about power texting...
    Once again, we don't know who is the sender of the e-mail because the name is blanked out. And doesn't it seem more likely that the unnamed sender "from the University of Central Arkansas" was just someone@uca.edu, rather than a UCA official?

Finally, I can confirm that everything quoted after "Here it goes:" did indeed come from the Kris Allen fan site quoted above (not "Kris's Facebook page"; AI Season 8 contestants had to suspend all personal Facebook and MySpace pages during the competition). I can confirm it because I wrote it! And that is word for word my voting article in quotes.

Where did I get such inside power voting expertise? Well, before I was a Kris fan, I was an Adam fan. (I still am an Adam fan, since they are not mutually exclusive.) And that's how people were encouraged to vote on the Adam fan sites. So when I changed fan bases, I brought my knowledge with me. After all, why should the Glamberts have a voting advantage? (I rewrote the instructions for Kris fans because I thought the original instructions at the Adam sites were explained in an overly complicated way.)

Of course Adam fans picked up "the knowledge" from previous Idol seasons. Every year fans figure out how to maximize their influence.

All of this "power voting" talk, however obscures the real innovation of the Allen fans, which was to combine the power of internet sites with the old-fashioned "non-virtual" voting parties, rallies, and person to person contact. In other words, Allen fans (particularly in Arkansas) treated this as a grass-roots door-to-door campaign, rather than just chatting in online communities (which they did as well). That's where the real voting power came from. Danny and Adam groups had the same technology, but they were mostly online communities.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-17-2010 at 10:19 AM.

jammyjoe, yet another sour grapes "Adam didn't win because those ignorant Arkansas Hillbillies cheated" article. Good grief. As can be told (presumably by those of you that are smarter than us from the hills) I live in Arkansas & NO ONE ever attempted to get me or anyone I know to vote repeatedly for Kris. But, beyond that, Adam & Danny evidently live in sections of the country that are without either internet or text voting capabilities. Yep, us Arkies have it all going on technology wise. We have ways of cheating that the rest of the country has yet to even dream of.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3905677;
    ...We have ways of cheating that the rest of the country has yet to even dream of.
    Ha! You admit it! Finally, the smoking gun. No where did I put Edward Wyatt's number at the NY Times?

Ooops! Sorry it was late and I should have said "officiated IN the State of Arkansas" (not "by") and should've added "allegedly" before that too. Anyway, it wasn't meant to sour grape as razorback accused me of. I just wanted to know if the Worsters are using the same strategy right now to vote for their pick or they just use DialIdol software. Because that would surely affect the outcome especially if 38% of the 100M votes came from one contestant's home state as was allegedly the case last year with Kris Allen (wasn't he the VFTW pick?). But then again, AT&T never disclose the voting results so we don't know how wide the margin was so nobody can tell if there was really an anomaly in the votes. AT&T also claims that they throw out block voting but one can never tell.

Here's where I got the article on how to power text where the circulated email was posted:
    How did Kris Allen win 'Idol'? 38 million votes from Arkansas helped | SeacoastOnline.com

+ Reply to Thread