+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: DialIdol/Vote For the Worst Season 9 *possible spoilers*

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: DialIdol/Vote For the Worst Season 9 *possible spoilers*

Ironically TopCat, I was just looking for a spot to post some interesting statistics I found on WhatNotToSing. You turned me on to that site a year or two ago, and I just love it! There is so much information in there you can spend a ton of time searching one bit of forgotten information to another. Anything you want to know about any complete performance, it's on there. I think it is mostly for top 24 (or 30 or 36, depending on the season) performers.

Anyway, as TopCat explained, WNTS does a lot of research on every performance, taking in reviews from all kinds of people, from professionals to people on internet forums. The performances are ranked from 1 to 100 based on that input (I hope I'm explaining this correctly!). What I found today really surprised me. I saw that Crystal has an average performance ranking of 83.7. I thought that seemed very high. After looking at the average rankings of other highly regarded contestants in the past, I found it was true. Of course, it's fairly early in the season. She could have a bad performance or two that will drag her average down. But it's still impressive after 7 performances.

Here are the average performance ratings of the 1st and 2nd place finishers from each season, as well as other notables, in order by their average rating. For the current season, I listed the 3 with the highest ranks. If you want to know anyone I left out, visit the site. But I warn you - it can be addictive!

Crystal Bowersox (9)........83.7
    Melinda Doolittle (6).........78.7
    LaToya London (3)...........77.8
    Kelly Clarkson (1).............76.8
    Tamyra Gray (1)..............72.9
    Allison Iraheta (8)............72.5
    Bo Bice (4).....................72.0
    Adam Lambert (8)............69.6
    Clay Aiken (2).................68.3
    Siobhan Magnus (9).........67.4
    Elliott Yamin (5)..............65.5
    Fantasia Barrino (3).........65.4
    Chris Daughtry (5)...........65.4
    David Cook (7)................64.7
    Casey James (9).............64.1
    Ruben Studdard (2).........63.6
    Jennifer Hudson (3).........62.9
    Taylor Hicks (5)..............61.3
    Kris Allen (8)..................61.1
    Jordin Sparks (6)............59.6
    Diana Degarmo (3)..........58.9
    Carrie Underwood (4).......57.3
    Blake Lewis (6)...............56.5
    David Archuleta (7).........56.5
    Katharine McPhee (5)......55.7
    Justin Guarini (1)............52.5

One thing I would like to add is that the rating obviously does not directly reflect on the person's ability to have a successful career. Bo (and all the other season winners) outscored Carrie, but Carrie has the most successful career of any of the contestants.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

See? Here's proof of how addictive WNTS is. I was looking at something and found that Katharine McPhee sang "Against All Odds" and got a rating of 14. Paige has the 2nd lowest score of all AI performances with that song with a rating of 3. There have been 7 AI contestants who have dared to sing that song. The best score anyone has ever gotten was Scott Savol (shockingly), with a 59. This is a perfect example of what this web site is all about. No contestant should ever sing "Against All Odds" again.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3873118;
    Another site you might like from a math perspective is What Not To Sing. This site has nothing to do with voting, but every week they sample various Idol internet sites and produce a performance score for how the Idolsphere viewed each person's performance. They also record a standard deviation to represent the range of opinions. Every so often they will aggregate that data to look at various questions. For example, last year they did an article on how does gender and race affect voting. I think you might find it interesting.
    thank you topcatdc and buckeyaddict, you are both right - i stumbled on whatnottosing after seeing it mentioned in a post earlier this season and i do find it just as fascinating! there is SO much data over there, and it's great to see if contestants are progressing, or are just plain inconsistant.

i like seeing too how it is a predictor based on quality of performance, not on a glimpse of a fraction of a portion of a huge voting behavior.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Fogey

Melinda Doolittle (6).........78.7
    it is insane how Melinda should have won her season. Justice has not been served on and after the show. She saved her season and is the best pure vocalist of Ai

Well i couldn't believe Blake Lewis got more votes than her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3873433;
    Well i couldn't believe Blake Lewis got more votes than her.
    i don't think he did.

If you go to Dial Idol today & run the cursor over the state to state totals, there are multiple & I mean multiple states that Andrew got ZERO Votes. And Big Mike didn't even win his home state of Florida. Or maybe I just put to much into it & none of this makes a whit bit of difference.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3876782;
    If you go to Dial Idol today & run the cursor over the state to state totals, there are multiple & I mean multiple states that Andrew got ZERO Votes. And Big Mike didn't even win his home state of Florida. Or maybe I just put to much into it & none of this makes a whit bit of difference.
    That's interesting, Razor, and parallels the raw numbers which I have found to be a closer ( not exact, but closer) indicator than the typically main indicator. Here are the names in descending order of the raw numbers, and Andrew is distinctly on bottom. Big Mike is not too far from him. If the numbers are anywhere correct, and they don't pull someone for drama, then Aaron would also be in the bottom 3 although his numbers are more respectful.

Tim Urban

Siobhan Magnus

Crystal Bowersox

Katie Stevens

Lee Dewyze

Casey James

Aaron Kelly

Michael Lynche

Andrew Garcia
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

Razor, it is very common that contestants have a zero votes. There aren't a lot of people who use the dial idol software in comparison to actual voters so it is natural that some contestants will have had no votes in some states. This season, DI has been somewhat inaccurate. DI has suffered from having fewer users this season. Fewer users means less data means lower accuracy. The data for each state is even less accurate because it has less data. In other words, the fact that Andrew had zero votes in some states may not mean anything.
    Also, number of votes is a meaningless statistic. Dial Idol users are not a sample representative of the entire voting population. The raw data is a meaningless measurement. It just shows how many votes each contestant received from Dial Idol users. Dial Idol users are die hard fans with decent computer knowledge. They don't represent most viewers. DI software measures the busy signal as an indicator to how popular the contestant actually is. The number of votes just help determine how certain the score is. They are meaningless otherwise. The DI score is based off of the busy percent and a formula that weights calls made in different time zones.

RLM, I know there are contestants that have zero votes on a state by state basis, but when the other contestants have votes totaling in the hundreds & one person still has zero, that's not good. There are states where there are no votes for anyone, but the states where peoples votes do show up, it's pretty telling when no one is calling in for a particular contestant.

+ Reply to Thread