+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 3/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3856740;
    Ellen is not as funny as I had expected and I am finding that she is just echoing almost everything Randy says. I think the idea of her being more the voice of the people is the route she should go but I think she is afraid to do it.
    I think you have a valid point there. Ellen is afraid to express her opinion without adding a "nice" qualifier. If she's not going to offer constructive criticism - and I never really expected her to - then she shouldn't be afraid to be the comic relief. That's all Paula was, after all.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by When_in_Rome;3856679[B
    ;]I've been looking for people's comments about Simon, and I'm sorry if I missed them and am being redundant, but....it's like he's on "nice medicine." Is it the new love in his life? I'm not complaining...yet (it may get boring after a while). His comments are now very much focused on trying to help the contestants - giving them good pieces of advice throughout.

[/B]

I really love Crystal - so, so natural up there. I also think she is a class act...when Simon said that Sioban may have beat her last night, Crystal began to gush about how great she thought Sioban is.(I think so too, btw)

Great minds think alike!!
    I was just about to post that.

I do agree that he's much nicer this season. However, I always felt his were the most constructive comments of all the judges, even when he couched them in some negative comments. And yes, sadly for me, it's getting a tad boring.

For me, most importantly, the dynamic of the show has totally changed this season. Part is due to losing Paula and adding Ellen. I'm still not that happy with Ellen. She's OK, but she just seems to parrot whatever the other judges say most of the time. I still prefer a judge who comes from a miusic background rather than somebody who "represents John Q. Public."
    I do still miss the repartee between Simon and Paula. It got things going. And, I don't really like it when Ryan tries to call out Simon on something. it just doesn't work for me.
    I think Simon has pretty much checked out of AI this season.
    If he does not return next season, as reported, I doubt that I'll return, either, as that would signal the end of the show for me.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-17-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3856836;

I do agree that he's much nicer this season. However, I always felt his were the most constructive comments of all the judges, even when he couched them in some negative comments. And yes, sadly for me, it's getting a tad boring.

For me, most importantly, the dynamic of the show has totally changed this season. Part is due to losing Paula and adding Ellen. I'm still not that happy with Ellen. She's OK, but she just seems to parrot whatever the other judges say most of the time. I still prefer a judge who comes from a miusic background rather than somebody who "represents John Q. Public."
    I do still miss the repartee between Simon and Paula. It got things going. And, I don't really like it when Ryan tries to call out Simon on something. it just doesn't work for me.
    If he does not return next season, as reported, I doubt that I'll return, either, as that would signal the end of the show for me.
    Many great minds !

I was wondering what was up with Simon too. I see that the contestants seem to be anticipating his comments most. I do like that Simon seems to be using the time to provide more constructive advice, but I liked it mixed with the snark, even though at times he was a little rough. I mean ... he hardly ever gets boo'd anymore. Maybe he doesn't want us to miss him too much, or perhaps giving the viewing audience more insight into how, as a music executive, he judges performances and thus educating "us" more on what to look for ?

Randy makes no sense to me and frankly, he never really did. I guess I don't speak dog, except of course to my canine companion.

Kara drives me crazy. She mugs and simpers and she always seems more interested in herself and Simon than the idols. I don't really look forward to her comments.

As for Ellen, I noticed last night that she, and usually Simon are the only ones looking expectantly towards the performers as they start their number. I do believe that Ellen is doing a reasonably good job, adding a little levity for entertainment, and I don't think she actually parrot's anyone. It feels more like she is giving her honest opinion. I haven't heard anyone else use the back of a hospital gown not quite coming together to describe a performance. Perhaps there is more "behind" that comment than that it was funny ? I still think she's a keeper.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3856836;

I agree with everything you said. I too will probably stop watching once Simon leaves
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

I guess I am waiting to hear who will replace Simon before I decide about next year. This season has a pretty bland cast. I feel like we already know there are only 2 or 3 people who can win. The performances are not great in comparison to the past. There just isn't anything exciting going on this year. I know I will tune in next year because I love this show ... but I don't really even like watching this year.

Ryan is still pretty great. I have always liked him. The problem is that he doesn't have much to work with this year. The contestants are pretty boring and Ellen is now supposed to be the one bringing the comedy. I've noticed that the judges have become less funny since Ellen has joined the panel. I feel like the chemistry is off and the formula doesn't work anymore. So I hope Simon's replacement can fix things.

FORT Fogey

Re: The Judges

I thought Ryan getting up into Simon's face last night was the most riveting and unexpected moment I've seen on this show in a while. Live TV! You gotta love it. Ryan holds the reins of the show in his hand and last night he let Simon know just how powerful a position that puts him in. And the way Simon backed off - Little RyRy really had him spooked. And Simon deserved it. All Ryan did before was ask him to elaborate on his comment to Michael - something Ryan does all the time. It was the first contestant of the night, and Simon got all huffy for no reason other than to make Ryan look bad. And he then got pwned by the MC. They must have been going crazy up in the control room. I'd loved to have been in there to see the reaction of the producers and staff.

As others have said, Simon is checked out. He is so over this show. And can you blame him? What is there for him to do. There are two contestants who are bringing Finale level performances for him to discuss. So, what's he supposed to do with the other ten contestants? "You sang it well, but you didn't have a moment..." etc. It's going to be a looooong two months of watching these duds drop off one by one.

Kara and Randy have improved for me. I am pleasantly surprised that about 50% of the time they have something intelligent to add.

I like Ellen, but she is still finding her way here. I thought she got off maybe her best line of the season last night. "Casey, for most women their hearts are going to start racing just looking at you. But for people like me... blondes..."

She's looking for her path, and unfortunately when she can't find it she falls back on the cliche's "You were great." "That was pitchy." etc. We'll take that from Randy but we expect more from Ellen.

TC,

The feeling that I got with that crossfire between Simon and Ryan was that it was very, very scripted.
    This season is not overly exciting, overall, aside from a few performances. I think TPTB were just trying to once again make AI the topic of 'watercooler conversation.'
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-17-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I think Randy is the least bias judge. Sure he has a bias but he doesn't name names. The other judges name names and Ellen even invites her favorites to be on her show. I think things would be more exciting if the judges wouldn't treat the contestants like some don't have a shot and others have everything to lose. Just judge that performance that night and leave the rest alone. Andrew may be gone by now if they didn't bring up "Straight Up" every week or maybe we would appreciate him better if he didn't have to deal with that pressure. Crystal wasn't great this week, but Randy said, "There were some problems this week, but look, I love YOU." The show would be so much more exciting if we felt like Crystal could possibly go home after a sub-par performance or if we thought Paige could stay after a good performance. We already feel like we know what is going to happen. Predictable shows aren't so fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3856878;
    TC,

The feeling that I got with that crossfire between Simon and Ryan was that it was very, very scripted.
    This season is not overly exciting, overall, aside from a few performances. I think TPTB were just trying to once again make AI the topic of 'watercooler conversation.'
    I missed the beginning of the show so I didn't see that. Interesting.

Hey ! Maybe Ryan will take Simon's seat and they'll get a new MC.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3856913;
    ...The show would be so much more exciting if we felt like Crystal could possibly go home after a sub-par performance or if we thought Paige could stay after a good performance. We already feel like we know what is going to happen. Predictable shows aren't so fun to watch.
    I think you are going to LOVE X-Factor. It's all drama and cut-throat "Survivor" style strategy between the contestants and judges. With singing.

The only comment I have here is that since we (not the judges) decide who stays, we really don't know what's going to happen (example: last week's eliminations).

And of course good or bad performances are the biggest factor, but not the only factor on which people vote. But then, if a bad performance always sent someone home, that would make the show predictable, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread