+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 3/11 Results Show *Spoilers*

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: 3/11 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3853196;
    Justin Guarini and Kimberly Caldwell have themselves a pretty good gig on the TV Guide Network.
    I'm a little behind in replying to this, but it doesn't look like Justin and Kim are doing their show this year. I think the show is history, in fact. We can't find any supplemental AI shows on TV Guide Channel or Fox Reality Channel.

Kim is out doing her own thing. She has a new CD (she was just on Ellen a few days ago - can't say I was impressed with the song) and is a model for a jeans company. Not sure what Justin is up to, other than he recently got married.

I thought Todrick's sing-off was amazing. His voice and range were awesome. I'm sorry to see him go. Was shocked about Lily - I think she was clearly shocked too, but could not find a gracious, humble bone in her body. She just got the best exposure of her life and could not muster up a single ounce of humility.

The judges weren't sure what kind of artist Todrick wants to be, a scam artist or a con artist?

'American Idol': Todrick Hall in hot water for failed 'Oz' musical - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

I agree with Lilly Scott. Her niche audience are the kind of people who would rather do something else than watch American Idol let alone dial a phone which to them is super cheesy and pure utter waste of time. The real audience of AI are the tween girls who vote for their favorites (Katie, Tim) like their lives depended on it. I'm sure Crystal feels the same way but she's not quirky enough that she gets a broader fan base. Alternative/underground artists cater to a more snobbish fan base who hate pop and pop culture such as American Idol.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 03-13-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Great Picks For Rolling Stones Night
    (I don’t know if they’ve taped the next show but here’s some good picks). Hopefully, I’ll get one or two right.

The Boys:

1. Michael Lynche-----Ain't Too Proud To Beg (It’s Only Rock and Roll album)-----via the R&B group, The Temptations. It’s the perfect song for Rolling stones night. Anything else could prove tricky. That’s How Strong My Love Is, an honest-to-God R&B love song made famous by Otis Redding, was later recorded by The Stones (Out Of Our Heads, 1965). Big Mike could make it work for the ladies. The other possibility is Dance Little Sister (no, not the Terence Trent song; altogether different; but I’m not sure an up tempo party song reflects who he is as an artist.
    2. Aaron Kelly-----Drift Away (Greatest Rarities: Vol 1 album)-----via Dobie Gray. He’s in the same predicament as Mike. He needs a country song. This one’s perfect; a beautiful love song. Anything else will expose him to the judges’ wrath. Of course, he’ll need to sit quietly and project the solemn lyrics of the verse. He can rock all he wants after the bridge; the chorus is meant to be joyful (“gimme the beat boys”). The only other country song is Dead Flowers (Sticky Fingers album). That could also work, it’s got some range to it; but will need to be stripped down to acoustic piano (the guitar riffs simply won’t work for Aaron).
    3. Lee Dewyze-----Brown Sugar (Sticky Fingers) fits his voice perfectly; and it’s a real rocker, so he can scream these lyrics all he wants and strum as hard as he wants. I’m confident Middle America is comfortable with interracial themes. But just in case Lee is not, Streets of Love is just as good. Plus, it’s got a genuine post-grunge feel to it that fits him like a glove, if he can stop bullying his lyrics.
    4. Casey James-----You Can’t Always Get What You Want (Let It Bleed). His role on American Idol is to provide eye candy and romance, so I’ll bet he picks Angie. He can’t emote, so it won’t work, but his female fans don’t seem to mind that. He could care less what dudes think (why would he?) but I agree with Randy. I wish he would go back to his Southern Blues Rock roots (the audition; before Kara made him strip down). You Can’t Always Get What You Want is a great blues rock song, and absolutely right for Casey. Another perfect Stones song is GRF; e.g.,Grand Funk Railroad’s (from their album, Caught In The Act) cover of The Stones Gimme Shelter (Let It Bleed album). GFR crafted a rousing, rollicking, blues gospel version backed by a full gospel choir and intricate hard-driving guitar riffs tailor-made for Casey’s nimble fingers. It’s not too late for Casey. Looks are fine but long term success in this business is measured by musicianship, not pin up posters and hype. Kris Allen knew this going in; he always put his music first. Why can’t Casey be both a Heart throb AND a great musician (something Kara should have told him from the start)?
    5. Tim Urban & Andrew-----Angie (Goats head Soup album)? Waiting On A Friend (Tattoo You)? I don’t know. I don’t have a feel for Tim as an artist. The Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony is credited to Richards and Jagger since The Verve stole it, so maybe that qualifies, I don’t know but it’s a very popular song. Might work for Tim. My confusion about Andrew is unbridled, so I didn’t even try. I was stunned he made top twelve, but good for him.

The Girls: (not nearly as many choices; most songs just don't fit)

1. Siobhan Magnus------Under My Thumb (Aftermath album)-----via La Roux. Should she decide to go with a fun, up tempo song, this is it. It’s quirky, unusual; a good fit for her voice but it’s about a man celebrating sexual conquest over a girl who’d been holding out. So, Siobhan would need to either change the lyrics (as Tina Turner did) or leave them as is (like La Roux). Whatever she does with the lyrics, the La Roux version is very cool, and very sexy.
    2. Crystal Bowersox-----Moonlight Mile (Sticky Fingers album). Crystal is probably the only person who could do this song justice. As stated above, this is The Stones’ best ballad; soul-stirring and gut-wrenching. The lyrics describe the loneliness of being on the road, separated from loved ones; e.g. like Jackson Brown’s Load-Out/Stay. The song is very intense, moving and soulful; with a strong blues vive that’s tailor made for Crystal. If it’s too intense, she could bring down the house with Jumpin Jack Flash (Forty Licks album). In her care, the song is a bona fide show stopper.
    3. Didi Benami-----Wild Horses (Sticky Fingers album)----via Susan Boyle. This is the perfect song, and the perfect cover; a song that defines the delicate emotional soul that is Didi Benami. It’s a beautiful song; an affirmation of lasting glove. Didi’s voice is not as strong as Susan’s, so might need to be stripped to acoustic piano or guitar with maybe a couple violins. No sense looking for anything else; this is a match made in heaven.
    4. Lacey Brown-----As Tears Go By (December’s Children album)----via Marianne Faithful. Lacey says she likes songs with meaning and emotion. Well, this is it. It’s a perfect fit for her “small” voice, and, both she and Marianne use their small voices to maximum effect. I don’t know what she’ll pick, but this is tailor made for her artistic temperament.
    5. Katie & Paige-----I don’t have a feel for either Paige or Katie. Katie is stiff and old-fashioned; perhaps she should try something that forces her to “cut loose”; e.g. Paint It Black. As for Paige, I was surprised she made top twelve too. There are several good female R&B covers out there (Aretha Franklin’s Satisfaction and especially Thelma Houston’s sanctified gospel version of Ruby Tuesday is glorious) but she won’t pick one; not even Confucius could understand Paige’s song choices.

I'll grade myself next Tuesday.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-13-2010 at 04:57 AM.

FORT Fogey

Wow. How long did it take you to come up with those suggestions? They are really good! I hope Tim doesn't sing Bittersweet Symphony. He'd ruin that classic. Other than that, great job!

FORT Fogey

Yeah-really great song ideas! On another topic, if you think that this years group is less impressive than last years group- you are not alone. Music director Michael Orland was quoted today in USA Today:

He thinks criticism that the season is moving slowly is because there are fewer professionally experienced singers in the group. The new singers are more raw, he said, so their talent will be more apparent as they develop over the coming weeks.

"The last couple of years, with David Cook and David Archuleta, and then last year with Adam (Lambert), Kris (Allen) and Alison (Iraheta), those two years were filled with people coming in going, 'Hey, here's what I want to do. Here's the part of the song I want to do. Here's how I want to start.' Those people knew who they were already. These people are just exploring it,"

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3853880;
    Yeah-really great song ideas! On another topic, if you think that this years group is less impressive than last years group- you are not alone. Music director Michael Orland was quoted today in USA Today:
    TopCat, always enjoy your posts. I wonder if you really look like Pierce Brosnan and I look like Alfred E. Neumann. That would be unsettling.
    I don't really care what Tim sings this week as long as he gets his hair washed and cut. His hairdo is a mix of my high school yearbook picture and something out of Planet of the Apes.
    I don't care what Paige sings because she will be bad at it.
    The rest are just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3853880;
    Yeah-really great song ideas! On another topic, if you think that this years group is less impressive than last years group- you are not alone. Music director Michael Orland was quoted today in

He thinks criticism that the season is moving slowly is because there are fewer professionally experienced singers in the group. The new singers are more raw, he said, so their talent will be more apparent as they develop over the coming weeks.
    USA Today:
    I think this guy is being incredibly generous. I can think of about 10 singers I was in HS choir with many years ago who were totally inexperienced save for choir, and still sounded a heck of a lot better than this lot.

It's sad when watching Idol has become what feels like an obligation to me more than an enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3853614;
    The AI demographic has always been confusing. I have no idea who is voting for Tim Urban. Well, I do know. But they aren't capable of doing it on their own.

I think a lot of the contestants that seem to be popular just aren't. Certain online communities have certain favorites. Like some online communities it was really fashionable to like Alex Lambert despite his shortcomings. He obviously wasn't that popular. It was just a few people being very vocal about him and a lot of others half-heartedly jumping on the bandwagon. It is kind of like group think. I wasn't shocked when Alex was eliminated.I think the same thing happened with Ashley.

I think Lilly went home because of Crystal. Everyone seemed to like both Lilly and Crystal but they liked Crystal better. Lilly was usually the number 2 girl. You have to be number one to get votes. That happens often on this show.
    Well if they change the AI timeslot to 10:00pm that would be past the tweeners bedtime when it's time to vote. Which means they will not even have time to vote for at least an hour, let alone two.

I prefer Todrick and Alex over Tim and Aaron. I also prefer Lilly over Katie (or Paige and Lacey) Who do you think should not make the top 12 now. One of these guys will make it....Tim, Aaron, Katie. Or maybe two will make it at the expense of Paige and Lacey.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3854140;
    Who do you think should not make the top 12 now. One of these guys will make it....Tim, Aaron, Katie. Or maybe two will make it at the expense of Paige and Lacey.
    Huh??? I thought they all already made Top 12. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

+ Reply to Thread