+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 3/11 Results Show *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/11 Results Show *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;3853475;
    What's the average age of American Idol voters? Fourteen?
    Nobody knows what the average age of an AI voter is because neither a phone call nor text message carry any information regarding the senders age (thank goodness!) And if AI has commissioned any polls to study this stuff (I doubt it, they don't seem to learn anything from the data they do have) they aren't sharing the info.

On the other hand there is significant public data about the AI viewership. They are much older - heavy in the 30's and 40's demographic. For the last several years the show has been loosing younger viewers. Or maybe they are keeping the same viewers and the audience is just aging.

Of course the often overlooked factor here is that it's not so much the number and age of the voters that matter, as much as who is going to buy an unlimited AT&T text plan and vote for two hours straight. Those are the deciders. And they are not all teenagers with nothing better to do. For the older kids, AI is their parent's program and therefore uncool. The power voters are just as likely core AI fans and people who strongly identify with one contestant (like last year's Glamberts and Kris Allen power texters).
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 03-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.

I'm sure it's got to be devastating to the contestants when they do get cut. However, I was really put off by Lily last night. I certainly empathized with her. But, to blame it on the audience like she did was basically just a slap in the face to people who voted for others in this competition. I think she should have been more gracious about it. Her comments just made her look arrogant.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3853520;
    I'm sure it's got to be devastating to the contestants when they do get cut. However, I was really put off by Lily last night. I certainly empathized with her. But, to blame it on the audience like she did was basically just a slap in the face to people who voted for others in this competition. I think she should have been more gracious about it. Her comments just made her look arrogant.
    I was wondering if I was the only one to think that. I really like Lily, but I thought she was ingracious last night. Arrogant describes it, too. I felt a little badly for Katie - the cameras showed all of the surprised reactions when it was announced she was safe. Not that she necessarily saw all of the reactions, but I think she was feeling them.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3853546;
    I was wondering if I was the only one to think that. I really like Lily, but I thought she was ingracious last night. Arrogant describes it, too. I felt a little badly for Katie - the cameras showed all of the surprised reactions when it was announced she was safe. Not that she necessarily saw all of the reactions, but I think she was feeling them.

Katie looked, IMO, like she felt that she personally was the cause of Lily's going home.
    As I said before I empathize with anyone who gets cut on this show in front of millions of people. It's got to be really, really difficult. But, it did come across as her being on the arrogant side, IMO. I just don't think that's a great move when you've got millions of people watching you. Sometimes, as Shakespeare said, discretion is the better part of valor.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I couldn't agree more. I liked her, but after her speech, she lost my respect. Plus, she said there was a lot of great talent leaving which was another dig to the contestants she didn't feel should be there
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3Beees;3853381;
    .....thought for sure Tim would get the boot - the "Zac Efron" wide eyed, "who me?" look is getting old.........
    So glad to see I'm not the only one who's noticed this -- his 'aww shucks' looks drive me INSANE!!! (Sorry, Cape! )

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3853518;
    Of course the often overlooked factor here is that it's not so much the number and age of the voters that matter, as much as who is going to buy an unlimited AT&T text plan and vote for two hours straight. Those are the deciders. And they are not all teenagers with nothing better to do. For the older kids, AI is their parent's program and therefore uncool. The power voters are just as likely core AI fans and people who strongly identify with one contestant (like last year's Glamberts and Kris Allen power texters).
    I shortened it but you had a really interesting post. I usually don't start voting until we get into the Top 12, sometimes later, b/c I've usually assumed that my votes weren't needed. This season, though, because of all the wacky voting and surprise eliminations (or noneliminations), I'll be voting next week. It's amazing how many texts you can rattle off in the span of a couple of minutes... and then move on and go back to your life. So I agree with you-- not all texters are young teeny boppers, though for Tim, Aaron, and Katie to have stayed in, I've got to assume there are enough. Hopefully, I'll be able to get more texts in next week to cancel some of their votes out.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3853518;
    Nobody knows what the average age of an AI voter is because neither a phone call nor text message carry any information regarding the senders age (thank goodness!) And if AI has commissioned any polls to study this stuff (I doubt it, they don't seem to learn anything from the data they do have) they aren't sharing the info.

On the other hand there is significant public data about the AI viewership. They are much older - heavy in the 30's and 40's demographic. For the last several years the show has been loosing younger viewers. Or maybe they are keeping the same viewers and the audience is just aging.

The AI demographic has always been confusing. I have no idea who is voting for Tim Urban. Well, I do know. But they aren't capable of doing it on their own.

I think a lot of the contestants that seem to be popular just aren't. Certain online communities have certain favorites. Like some online communities it was really fashionable to like Alex Lambert despite his shortcomings. He obviously wasn't that popular. It was just a few people being very vocal about him and a lot of others half-heartedly jumping on the bandwagon. It is kind of like group think. I wasn't shocked when Alex was eliminated.I think the same thing happened with Ashley.

I think Lilly went home because of Crystal. Everyone seemed to like both Lilly and Crystal but they liked Crystal better. Lilly was usually the number 2 girl. You have to be number one to get votes. That happens often on this show.

sdl

Lily's rejection speech was the least gracious I can remember in AI history.
    But it was overshadowed by the horrible dress ensemble she was wearing - some short green lumpy thing with a cheap belt.
    It was so bad, I thought she must have gotten it wherever she has her hair done.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3853614;
    The AI demographic has always been confusing. I have no idea who is voting for Tim Urban. Well, I do know. But they aren't capable of doing it on their own.

I think a lot of the contestants that seem to be popular just aren't. Certain online communities have certain favorites. Like some online communities it was really fashionable to like Alex Lambert despite his shortcomings. He obviously wasn't that popular. It was just a few people being very vocal about him and a lot of others half-heartedly jumping on the bandwagon. It is kind of like group think. I wasn't shocked when Alex was eliminated.I think the same thing happened with Ashley.

I think Lilly went home because of Crystal. Everyone seemed to like both Lilly and Crystal but they liked Crystal better. Lilly was usually the number 2 girl. You have to be number one to get votes. That happens often on this show.

I really like Crystal, but I didn't care for Lily.
    IMO, Crystal has an amazing voice. Lily became a one trick pony for me very quickly. I thought she started out OK with a folksy, bluesy, jazzy sort of vibe. The problem is, for me at least, she really didn't distinguish herself when she needed to. And, if you're going to do Patsy Cline, it may not be a good idea to do it in a gosh, golly, Megan Joy 'caw caw' kind of way. I know, for me, it brought back some bad memories that were best left buried.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-12-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3853587;
    So glad to see I'm not the only one who's noticed this -- his 'aww shucks' looks drive me INSANE!!! (Sorry, Cape! )
    That's it - I am not talking to you anymore

Seriously though - I get the irritation with him but I also think we should give him a break. I think he will show more of himself in the next few weeks. That aww shucks attitude will go away with a little confidence.

I just saying I am okay with him getting another week to settle in.

he's not my favorite - actually - no one is...

+ Reply to Thread