+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: AI 9 Theme Weeks

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: AI 9 Theme Weeks

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on who the biggest success story is. Equal arguments could be made for Kelly Clarkson as well as Carrie Underwood.

Bucky Covington, Kellie Pickler and Josh Gracin have had success with country after leaving Idol, so there is a market for it.

There are several Shania tunes that have a more cross-over sound to them, so there are choices available to the contestants who don't feel comfortable with the country sound.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3883405;
    I figured it was just "country" night, with Shania as a mentor. Using only her songs does limit things a whole lot more.

This genre seems to be the judges least favorite, making me wonder why they still bother.
    Because their biggest success & the person that continues to support & thank the show & the producers everytime she gets a chance is COUNTRY!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3883460;
    I don't have an opinion one way or the other on who the biggest success story is. Equal arguments could be made for Kelly Clarkson as well as Carrie Underwood.

Bucky Covington, Kellie Pickler and Josh Gracin have had success with country after leaving Idol, so there is a market for it.

There are several Shania tunes that have a more cross-over sound to them, so there are choices available to the contestants who don't feel comfortable with the country sound.
    Just a comment on the highlighted statement.

I know I am just spitting in the wind around here when it comes to Country music, it seems as though almost everyone is all about the Pop/Rock genre & Country is the poor cousin from the wrong side of the tracks. But, I would love to have some of you join in on the week of CMA Music Fest & come away without a new found appreciation of the music & the people that make it. It is just incredible to see these artists give so much of themselves during that week, meeting fans, signing autographs, taking photos, singing & playing & doing it all for free. No other genre does anything even close to that. There are some absolutely incredible Country artists & musicians & the music they make is miles ahead of the crap on Top 40 radio these days. (What the hell was that last night that came out of the Black Eyed Peas) So YES, there is a market for it & the market is huge & growing!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

For the record, I happen to LIKE country music . . . . sometimes.

But to hear the judges moan and groan (not every time, but often enough) when they themselves set the theme for the night is what "makes me wonder why they bother".

It's like inviting all your cheapskate relatives to your birthday party and then complaining about the gifts you got.

Aaron could knock it out of the park since he's proven on numerous occasions to have the twang. I would love to hear Casey tackle Brooks and Dunn and would pick some Montgomery Gentry for Lee. Add in some Garth Brooks, some Bellamy Brothers, Keith Urban and Lady Antebellam and I'd be a happy girl. The only one who strikes me as having a problem would be Siobhan, but since it's Shania night, there are some country-lite songs that would fit her voice nicely.

I was raised on country music (well, that and polka and classical). Just have a problem with it being "set up" to be trashed.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Country is big....that is obvious to anybody who follows music. It being the poor cousin on AI is because of the judges...none of them have any interest or knowledge of the genre. Ellen, this year, is the exception because she does have country stars on her show and appears to have an open mind...unlike her peers on the panel

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3884055;
    Country is big....that is obvious to anybody who follows music. It being the poor cousin on AI is because of the judges...none of them have any interest or knowledge of the genre. Ellen, this year, is the exception because she does have country stars on her show and appears to have an open mind...unlike her peers on the panel
    Actually, Randy has said he's a fan of country music.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3883047;
    So - we have Shania Twain songs next week. I think I know two. Maybe four. And looking at this song list, the guys are going to be a lot more limited than Crystal and Siobhan. Should be - um - interesting.

All Fired up, No Place to Go
    Amneris’ Letter
    Any Man of Mine
    Black Eyes, Blue Tears
    Come On Over
    Crime of the Century
    Dance with the One Who Brought You
    Don’t!
    Don’t Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)
    (Don’t Gimme That) Once Over
    Forever and for Always
    From This Moment On
    God Bless the Child
    Home Ain’t Where His Heart Is (Anymore)
    Honey I’m Home
    I Ain’t No Quitter
    If It Don’t Take Two
    (If You’re Not In It For Love) I’m Outta Here!
    I’m Gonna Getcha Good!
    I’m Holdin’ On to Love (To Save My Life)
    I’m Jealous
    It Only Hurts When I’m Breathing
    It’s Alright (Club Mix)
    Ka-Ching!
    Lost My Heart
    Love Gets Me Every Time
    Man! I Feel Like a Woman
    Nah!
    No One Needs to Know
    Party for Two
    Rock this Country!
    She’s Not Just a Pretty Face
    Shoes
    Thank you Baby! (For Makin’ Someday Come So Soon)
    That Don’t Impress Me Much
    There Goes the Neighborhood
    Up!
    What Made You Say That
    When You Kiss Me (Green)
    Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?
    You Lay a Whole Lot of Love on Me
    You Win My Love
    You’re Still the One
    You’ve Got a Way
    Waiter! Bring Me Water!
    Whatever You Do! Don’t!
    When
    When You Kiss Me
    Wild & Wicked
    The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)
    Shania also did a remake of Coat of Many Colors.......I think that would be the best bet for Crystal. Alot of Shania's song have dumb lyrics. When I heard that this would be the theme for this week I was concerned. I would absolutely hate for Crystal to sing some of the songs that have become a "cross-over" into mainstream current pop. The ones I bolded are ones that I would cringe about if I found out that any of the remaining idols picked to sing.

Who Will Perform on Wednesday's Show? - American Idol

April 26, 2010 | 05:38 pm PT
    Who Will Perform on Wednesday’s Show?

On Tuesday, the Top 6 finalists will take on songs by this week’s mentor, Shania Twain! On Wednesday, one person will go home, but the evening will be filled with exciting performances from some of today’s biggest stars.

Lady Antebellum, who brought home a few Academy of Country Music Awards last week, will perform their smash hit single, “Need You Now.” The single is the title track off their second studio album.

Also, the Rascal Flatts will stop by the show to perform “Unstoppable.” They are the decade’s top-selling and most awarded group in country music, and this will be their third appearance on American Idol.

The one and only Shakira will perform “Gypsy,” a single off her album She Wolf, but she won’t be performing it alone. The Rascal Flatts will join her for this performance!

Sons of Sylvia, who will release their debut album Revelation tomorrow, will perform their first single, “Love Left To Lose.” The track was co-written by Ashley and the band’s cousin, hit maker Ryan Tedder. The band is made up of brothers Ashley, Austin, and Adam Clark, who won Fox’s American Idol-inspired show, Next Great American Band. Sons of Sylvia sang with Carrie Underwood on her song “What Can I Say” from her album Play On. Currently on the road with Carrie for her “Play On Tour,” Sons of Sylvia have just signed on for the fall leg of her tour. Be sure to check the AI-Insider’s Weekly Scoop each week for Carrie Underwood’s tour dates and locations.

Just a few notes.....

I've seen Shania in concert....one of the best I've been to. She's an amazing performer.

Carrie, IMO, is the biggest thing to come out of idol. The fact that she still thanks idol for her success, tho, might be because they haven't screwed her over like they have some of the others. I can't say for sure, but that might be the case.

A friend was in Vegas a few years ago during one of country music's awards shows, so she lined up to watch the stars on the red carpet.
    She's a Bucky fan.....
    Anyway, every artist turned and waved to the fans, except Carrie. Ever since then my opinion of her has dwindled a bit.

I get the whole "promote your own label" BS.....but why can't former contestants come back more often on results night and perform.
    Who really gives a flying f*** about Shakira?? Last I checked, she ain't country.
    And as much as I love Lady Antebellum, I am sick to death of that song!! Enough already.
    Bring back Josh, Bucky, Danny and heck, even Kellie.

SOS from the LA Times.

Getting to know Sons of Sylvia (a.k.a. Carrie Underwood's favorite band) | Idol Tracker | Los Angeles Times

Getting to know Sons of Sylvia (a.k.a. Carrie Underwood's favorite band)
    April 27, 2010 | 6:35 am

We're back to an hourlong results show this Wednesday but one that's jam-packed with performers. Four, to be exact: Shakira, Rascal Flatts, Lady Antebellum and Sons of Sylvia.

In the company of such musical heavyweights, you're probably thinking to yourself, "Sons of who?" as I did upon hearing some guys from Nashville landed a much-coveted performance slot. But any self-respecting "American Idol" fan would know this band had they watched Fox's short-lived attempt at a group version of "Idol" called "The Next Great American Band." Sons of Sylvia won that show, back when they were called the Clark Brothers. The prize: management by 19 Entertainment and a contract with Interscope Records.

Don't recall? You're not alone, if ratings were any indication. So here's a primer: One of the trio's most memorable performances was a bluesy cover of the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" (see video below). Amazingly, brothers Ashley, Austin and Adam Clark, who were raised by evangelist parents, had never heard the song. Now, in their opening slot for Carrie Underwood, it's a staple of their set. Talk about coming full circle.

But their family ties reach far beyond TV talent shows. The brothers Clark are also related to Ryan Tedder, of OneRepublic fame (also signed to Interscope). In fact, the song they're performing on "Idol," "Love Left to Lose," is one that Ashley wrote with his second cousin, Ryan. The two are close. Long before the hit ballad "Apologize" made Ryan a millionaire, the two backpacked through Europe together and were roommates in Nashville for years. I asked Ashley about what it was like for him and Ryan in those early days.

"We used to stay up all night talking, saying things like, 'Man, wouldn't it be awesome to have a band and play music?' " Ashley recalls. "I remember Ryan would write for people in Nashville, and they wouldn't pay him. He would have to leave invoices under their doors." When Ryan went to L.A. to showcase for labels, Ashley came along to play fiddle. "We played the Troubadour and the Viper Room. I was sleeping on his couch out in L.A., and it was a crazy time."

And it's only gotten crazier. Ashley, Adam and Austin were touring with other artists (Ashley and Austin with Carrie Underwood, Adam with SheDaisy) when they caught a commercial for "Great American Band" (while watching "Idol," natch). With the submission deadline approaching, the three taped themselves jamming in the basement, submitted it, and lo and behold, not only did they get a call and then a call back, but they also made it all the way to end and won. Says Austin: "Every day it felt like a crazy dream that was actually happening." And they're still pinching themselves.

After last week's "Idol Gives Back," Carrie Underwood flew in via helicopter(!) to tape her introduction of Sons of Sylvia's performance. Now that's dedication. Tune in and let us know what you think of these guys.

+ Reply to Thread