+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 3/10 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/10 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Perhaps Andrew and Aaron will be going home. I think Todrick has bought himself at least another week.

Tim and Alex I wrote off two weeks ago as being totally cringe-worthy. They surprised the heck out of me tonight!

But who did I vote for? Casey.

I need Somebody To . . . Make . . . Kara . . . STOP . . . talking!!!!

Loved Mike Lynch. I like how he switched it between the upper and lower registers.

Mike Lynch is officially my favorite now.

FORT Fogey

Time to rate the guys. This week really shows the folly of last year's semi-finals where contestants only got to sing one song, and then were out. Every one of the guys (except Casey) have been moving around the list over the past weeks.

Here's the skinny - Casey, Michael, and Lee are safe. Andrew and Aaron are early favorites on the way down, while Tim, Alex, and Todrick are canon fodder on the way up. It's how those last two groups intersect that makes this elimination for the guys so hard to predict. It's really going to be a fan war, more than a reflection of how they sang.

Here's my list - in order of perceived popularity. Letter grades are how I think they sang tonight.

Casey James B
    “You’ll Think of Me” by Keith Urban
    He knows who he is and does it well and consistently. Other guys are moving up, but Casey started strong and hasn't made any mistakes.

Mike Lynche A
    “Women’s Work” – by Maxwelll (Kate Bush)
    A personal best tonight for big Mike is enough to put him over early favorites Andrew and Aaron.

Lee Dewyze B-
    “Fireflies” by Owl City
    Lee is hanging in there. So much going for him, yet his performances to date have always come in just under the mark. Still good enough to keep him locked into the middle of the pack and take him to the finals and probably the tour.

Andrew Garcia C+
    “Genie In A Bottle” by Christina Aguilera
    Andrew started at the top of the list three weeks ago, but he's dropped every week. Never bad, but he's making no impression. At this point I would say that he is in trouble because if he knew how to fix the slide he certainly would have done so. He's not going home - but a seat on the Idol tour bus is not guaranteed.

Aaron Kelly C
    "I'm Already There"
    Same story for Aaron. Except Aaron is at times squeaky and slippery on the pitch, particularly on the lower notes. He can deliver the punchy ballad, but this young'un may just be out of his depth. A turnaround at this point is unlikely. The kids love him - how long will they stay true? Especially with two competing boy toys, Tim and Alex, movin' on up from the cellar.

Tim Urban B-
    “Hallelujah” by Tim Buckley
    He survived being cut (then brought back), and no pre-season exposure. He belly flopped on his first performance. But not only is he still here, he gave a good performance tonight. While he's not challenging the top guys, he may have done enough to earn a ticket to the big stage. It's very up in the air, and it may come down to legions of texting tween girls. Will they abandon early favorite (and fading fast) Aaron for an even cuter underdog on the rise?

Alex Lambert B-
    “Trouble” by Ray Lamontagne
    His best vocal yet and he's shaking the nerves. Unfortunately without the nerves he seems to have no energy whatsoever. Still in danger, but still improving.

Todrick Hall B
    “Somebody to Love” by Queen
    Todrick was history coming in to tonight. He still probably will be, but he brought his best performance tonight by forgetting the judges advice and doing what he does best - a Broadway / Gospel / Rock fusion. Will it save him?

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3852345;
    I need Somebody To . . . Make . . . Kara . . . STOP . . . talking!!!!

What the heck happened to Pau...Kara tonight! UGH! She's been acting silly, ridiculous, pathetic, all season and she peaked tonight. I thought she might have peaked before, but no, she definitely peaked tonight. I'm still gagging over that display hanging all over Simon, and then she fake cried! I mean, did Paula pull out some of Kara's hair for her voodoo doll, and now has her under her spell? Ugh, it's so embarrassing to watch her.

I feel sorry for the guys. They looked so nervous. I listened back on a few of them and found that I liked Casey even more the second time around. I also liked Alex's voice. His voice is really cool, but he's so stiff up there. I didn't care for Andrew & Tim tonight )Jason Castro outperformed him by a mile), and poor Aaron....I like the guy but he just couldn't pull off that song at all. Todrick's performance made me laugh. Did anyone catch that blond gal in the audience behind him on the left side of the screen? It looked like she was laughing at him (vs with him). I thought it was silly and couldn't understand what the judges saw in him. Big Mike was ok, and I like him, but I didn't think that song was anything special. I missed Lee's performance.

Can we just jump to the Top 10 and stay there for a few weeks? This would be my pick: Crystal, Siobhan, Casey, Lee, Lilly, Didi, Katelyn, Big Mike, Alex, Aaron. That would be a fun tour. And can we stage an intervention for Kara? If that doesn't work, maybe we can dress Randy in a bikini and have him sit next to Simon. That should subdue everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3852319;
    Michael Lynche puts up This Woman's Work - probably to make up for the sexist song he sang last week.
    It's a man's man's man's world is hardly sexist. Quite the opposite. :nono

My biggest problem with this season is I would LOVE to send more than 4 people home per week in the semi-finals. Very few non-cringe worthy performances so far, IMO. Thus far I can't see myself buying an album any of these people would make. As for tonight:

Ah, Big Mike. Where do I begin. I've always been "meh" on that song, but he actually made me outright hate it. It was truly horrendous to me. "Just make it go away!" indeed. I could've used some earplugs for the first part of that. And Kara, what the heck... When the judges fall all over someone I didn't care for to begin with, it only makes me want that contestant gone faster. I feel like this guy's been hyped and pushed by the show all because of his story. Not impressed, sorry.

I like Lee well enough, but at the same time he sounds like just about every other nasally rocker in music right now.

Alex wasn't half bad, but again with the whiny tone that makes my eyes twitch.

Casey's like a poor man's Bucky (and I loved Bucky), so I'm not amused by anything he does, tonight's butchering of a great Keith Urban song included.

Aaron's a decent singer, but didn't think the song was appropriate for him. Plus his stage presence is just "off" for me, likely due to age; reminds me of Archuleta in that respect.

On the upside, Tim was much better this week; nice to hear someone going in the right direction.

Todrick... UGH. All I kept thinking was "Give me back Elliott!" He did an amazing job with that song. Todrick's version was nowhere near the same league, IMO.

Andrew... what can I say. Disaster, but then again, I haven't been able to stand him from the get-go. Bad flashbacks of Gokey, whom I couldn't stand either.

I'm hoping Todrick and Andrew go buh-bye tomorrow. Knowing my luck, I'll be stuck listening to both of them for a few more weeks.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 03-11-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3852384;
    Alex wasn't half bad, but again with the whiny tone that makes me eyes twitch.
    I just. Don't. Get it. All I can hear is that whine. Trembly nonsense. That's all I hear. What am I missing? He seems like a little boy up there ready to pee his pants. I can't stand it.

Aaron's a decent singer, but didn't think the song was appropriate for him. Plus his stage presence is just "off" for me, likely due to age; reminds me of Archuleta in that respect.
    Again, I gotta be on a different planet. I just hear (and see) a trembly squeeky mess. A little boy, with a little boy's lack of presence, and a little boy's inability to command his voice to be steady.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3852392;
    I just. Don't. Get it. All I can hear is that whine. Trembly nonsense. That's all I hear. What am I missing? He seems like a little boy up there ready to pee his pants. I can't stand it.

Again, I gotta be on a different planet. I just hear (and see) a trembly squeeky mess. A little boy, with a little boy's lack of presence, and a little boy's inability to command his voice to be steady.

With Alex: Like I said, the whine makes my eyes twitch. He's not a technically bad singer, though. I certainly wouldn't be buying his CD, however. I don't like whiny singers.

Aaron had definite technical problems this week, but generally he is a decent singer. Like Archuleta, though, he has no stage presence. In Archie's defense (and I can't believe I'm saying this), he is better these days.

I'm not usually so harsh with AI folks, but I am thoroughly unimpressed with the talent this season. It's awful. My mind keeps wandering to past contestants and how much I preferred them. In some cases, I find myself realizing that some people I thought were real clunkers weren't half bad after all compared to this lot.

+ Reply to Thread