+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: 3/10 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/10 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm a big R&B fan, and Big Mike doesn't do it for me. Although his vocals last night were probably the best of the night, his delivery screams Las Vegas Lounge Act. And I like the guy.

I'm tired of balladeers. Most of the hit tunes are not performed by balladeers. The premise of the show is to find a recording artist, not a lounge act.

No one stands apart from the pack for me except Crystal. Although, with her health issues, I don't know how she would be able to do what's necessary as a recording artist ... tours are grueling.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3852439;
    Mike - I wasn't crying over it. But I think anyone who didn't like this just doesn't like soul music and would sooner vote for Tim Urban than they would Aretha Franklin. It wasn't perfect but it was so dynamic. It wasn't technically perfect but it was perfect in most other ways.
    I guess you could count me in that category and I freely admit it. I just don't get the whole Aretha Fraklin thing - she is way too screechy for me. I like soul music, just not the screechy stuff and not all the blasted runs they put into it these days. As for Big Mike, I like him and I liked the performance. But I had never heard the song before, couldn't understand more than a half dozen words he was singing, and thought it was a gospel song when he first started The way he was moving on stage reminded me of a gospel singer. I also happen to like Tim Urban and don't think he's nearly as bad as he's being portrayed. I think he's just become this year's whipping boy, and its a shame. His was one of the few performances I enjoyed last night.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rocketter;3852547;
    I'm just so bored with this group of boys this year. None seem to have "it". And I object to the statement that says give them a guitar and women swoon. Nonsense!! I swooned over Adam & Clay and they are both gay!! I listen to singers, don't need to see them to tell if they are good. This year it's the gals that are better singers and who I would listen to.....just saying.
    Totally agree - I wouldn't be surprised if the first several vote offs were the guys...and the final four 3 girls and a guy.

FORT Fogey

Entertainment Weekly's Adam Vary is back reporting live from the Idol studio on last night's show. I always enjoy his recaps because he explains how things came off in the studio, and what people were doing during the breaks, etc.

For example he explains the closing performance:
    Big Mike’s “This Woman’s Work” killed with a capital K, and that has as much to do with the sheer size and force of the man himself as the impeccable vocals of his performance. When I watched it back on TV, though, the quick editing and swooping cameras somehow neutered all that, which is, I suspect, at least partly why Idol guru extrordinaire Michael Slezak and my mother both told me they thought Big Mike was kinda cheesy. I’m not saying the new father delivered anything close to Mindy Doo’s “My Little Valentine” or D’Archie’s “Imagine”; I’m just saying that, from where I sat, Randy’s shock, Ellen’s enthusiasm, Kara’s tears, and Simon’s “best of the semi-finals” praise all made sense to me.
    A bit of insight into Ellen:
    I reported yesterday that I had no impression of any feud or ill feeling between Ellen and Simon, and I stand by that assertion again today. I did detect, however, that Ellen isn’t totally comfy yet with her new Idol family in general. Once again, whenever she was off stage, Ellen often stood around chatting just with Portia, looking very much like the nervous new kid in school.
    And an explanation for Kara's teary response to Women's Work:
    Ryan gave out Big Mike’s numbers, the recap package started playing, and Kara, still kinda weepy, gave Simon a big bear hug. Even well after the 19 Entertainment logo chirped the night’s episode to a close, Kara was backstage raving to anyone who would listen about Mike’s performance. My snark demon Smirkelstiltskin started to smell blood in the water after Kara borrowed some kleenex from what seemed like a random woman — that is until Kara mentioned that, at 39, she’s been trying hard to have a baby of her own. Then it all made every kind of sense, and the bracing truth of genuine feeling caused Smirkel to shrink to the size of a janky pecan.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3852439;

Mike - I wasn't crying over it. But I think anyone who didn't like this just doesn't like soul music and would sooner vote for Tim Urban than they would Aretha Franklin. It wasn't perfect but it was so dynamic. It wasn't technically perfect but it was perfect in most other ways.

With all due respect, I'm a total R & B fan. And, I actually saw Aretha in concert last summer.
    I probably have more R & B on my MP3 than any other genre. I also wanted Ruben over Clay. For me, there was no contest between the 2.
    However, with all that said, I didn't find Mike's performance perfect or "so dynamic".
    Mike is good, but his performances are lacking in a true connection to the music. Teddy had that, Luther had that, Marvin had that and Lady A. has it. But, their singing totally flowed for me and seemed heartfelt. Big Mike's seems rehearsed to the point of cheesy Vegas lounge act. And, while the vocals are good, Mike's delivery of such feels like an act of calculated intimidation over the audience rather than pure artistry.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I felt Mike connected with the song last night to perfection. His vocals were right on the mark, as well.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

I heard a snipped of Todrick's "Somebody to Love" on the radio this a.m., and I have to admit, I REALLY liked it! I was surprised by how well he did last night - I was expecting something nightmarish - and hearing it again this morning, I liked it even more!

Hope he's not leaving tonight. I also like the personality he brings to the mix (let's face it, this isn't exactly the most dynamic group we've ever seen!). He's lively, comfortable on the stage, and has the talent to put his own spin on songs, and good vocals too boot.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 03-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

FYI I've put a link to all the performances in each contestant thread.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3852825;
    I heard a snipped of Todrick's "Somebody to Love" on the radio this a.m., and I have to admit, I REALLY liked it! I was surprised by how well he did last night - I was expecting something nightmarish - and hearing it again this morning, I liked it even more!

Should've actually taken a minute to send him a vote or two last night. Hope he's not leaving tonight. I also like the personality he brings to the mix (let's face it, this isn't exactly the most dynamic group we've ever seen!).
    I liked Todrick last night, but the judges don't follow their own instructions - his version was original, he had great stage presence, vocals were great...but he's not one of their favorites so he got mediocre reviews.
    Speaking of Ellen, a pleasant surprise this season, I wouldn't worry about her not being bonded with the other judges yet. They said the exact same things about Kara last season and now she's draped all over Simon and definitely in the "club."
    Maybe they're jealous because Ellen's girlfriend/wife (?) is hotter than theirs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213