+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 3/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 3/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3851736;
    I think they are trying to pimp Paige now knowing that she had the least face time coming to the the semis and they do not have any african american woman left. But she sealed her fate on this one. She'll be gone and....i think Katelyn who did a very uninspiring karaoke performance. Lacey might yet make it to the top 12 based on her performance tonite and despite disappointing performances the past two weeks but it may be too little too late.

P.S. Natalie Merchant was from the band, 10,000 Maniacs.
    I don't think they're supporting Paige. Even though Simon has described her voice as the best, it seemed that she was total fodder from the beginning. Plus, it's kind of hard to believe that the judges would now pimp a contestant that went virtually unnoticed throughout the auditions and Hollywood Week.

I want Paige in the Top12. I think she has had a better track record than Lacey, and although I believe Lacey did better than Paige last night, it still wasn't that great of a performance. Plus, if Lacey makes it in, I fear that her voice would sound too much like Didi's and Lily's, both of whom I prefer over Lacey. Lacey was actually one of my favorites coming in, but she has been disappointing in these semis, and in this tight field of ladies, I hope it's Lacey who just misses out in the Top12.

As for the other girl, I think it should be Katie. She's not that great IMO. She should have waited for to audition in the future, in order to develop her skills. But as of now, she hasn't had one blowout performance.

Paige is still in trouble, and so is Katelyn. But I hope Katelyn makes it in; she has been the most solid of the girls, after delivering 3 good performances.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3851565;
    Nooooooooooo, don't do Patsy Cline. kd lang is the only one who can dare touch Patsy.
    Canuck -

I understand what you're saying about KD Lang doing Patsy Cline - she "gets it".

If you haven't seen this already, here's a VERY bluesy arrangement of Patsy's "Walkin' After Midnight" you might enjoy, done live in concert. Certainly a different twist on a country music classic:

YouTube - [HQ] Kelly Clarkson - Stripped, 14.07.2009 - Walking After Midnight (Patsy Cline Cover)

As for the girls tonight on Idol:
    I thought Siobhan took the biggest risk with her arrangement, and, for me, it worked.
    Crystal's the most comfortable so far on the Idol stage, even with a meh song choice.
    Paige is history, sadly (agree w/ Simon on the potential comment).
    Didi redeemed herself, somewhat.
    Katelyn brought her "C" game this week, rather than the "A" game she played last week
    Lacey was. . . ah, how can I say this. . . nervous as all get out, you could hear it in her vibrato during the sustained notes, which, for me, detracted from her performance (she CAN work the cameras, tho!).
    Katie just didn't "breakaway" like she could/should have tonight.

FWIW & HTH. . .

I'm okay with Didi, Lacey, or Lily going home. Maybe it's because of their voices, and their style of singing. Katelyn too, although I think her voice is better these other three. I'm loving Crystal.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010: The Top Eight (Girls)

1. Siobhan Magnus. The Animals’ House of the Rising Sun is about a Brothel in New Orleans called the House of the Rising Sun, where the singer’s dad used to get drunk and do stuff with the ladies. Like his father, the son likes it too, but is now worried the place has sucked the life out of him, but still can’t stop; so he pleads with mothers not to let their sons do what he has done. I’m aware the judges prefer Crystal but I like Siobhan. She’s a good singer who’s quirky, pretty, funny, and strange; and infinitely likable. Yeah, this performance was boring but none of it matters to me; all that’s required of a superstar lives inside her. I’ve started my Smart Choice Series this season but only worked up three girls and three boys. I'll post Lee, Alex, and Aaron tomorrow night..
    Smart Choices: Siobhan Magnus
    1. Crucify-----Tori Amos (beautiful ballad)
    2. Mercy-----Duffy (she should have a lot of fun with this one)
    3. Breathe Me-----Sia (intensely emotional song, but she can do it)
    4. Daniel-----Bat For Lashes (quirky ballad tailor made for Siobhan)
    5. Rid Of Me (Lick My Lips)-----P.J. Harvey (an up tempo, angry, but very sexy rock song)
    6. Kissing You-----Des’ree (Love theme from Romeo and Juliet; very emotional)
    7. Infidelity-----Regina Spektor ( another indie singer with a Siobhan heart)
    8. Stone Cold Sober-----Paloma Faith (great up tempo, dance song)
    9. Unravel-----Bjork (well, it’s a Bjork ballad; nuff said)
    10. Fluorescent Adolescent-----Kate Nash (brilliant up tempo cover of an Arctic Monkeys rock classic)
    11. Whyyawannabringmedown-----Kelly Clarkson (great classic rock from AI’s First Lady; great, great song)
    12. Hallelujah-----Imogen Heap (a touching ballad)
    13. I’m Still Breathing-----Katy Perry (a gut-wrenching ballad from Katy Perry)
    14. Like A Bird-----Nelly Furtado (quirky stuff here; a perefect fit)
    15. My Immortal----Evanescence ( I picked it because their voices match and it allows Siobhan to show her range without compromising her artistry)
    16. Ave Maria-----Beyonce Knowles ( a ranging, lyrical ballad perfect for her voice)
    17. When Love Takes Over------Kelly Rowland ft David Guetta (an R&B song that fits)
    18. Nothing Compares To You-----Sinead O’Connor (don’t know how much she can squeeze into 90 seconds, but…..)
    19. Decode-----Paramore (another perfect match for her soaring vocals)

2. Crystal Bowersox. This is a contestant with whom I’ve not bonded, but I’m getting there. Hers was actually more gut-wrenching and soulful than the original, so gets high praise from me. Tracy personifies soul; weaving in and out of lyrics like an eddy current, but Crystal definitely got his one right. Because she likes the blues, I picked these:
    Smart Choices: Crystal Bowersox
    1. Stay-----Sugarland (the most soulful and gut-wrenching country songs I’ve ever heard)
    2. You-----Bonnie Raitt (one of Bonnie’s best efforts, it’s intensely emotional; a real tear jerker, but Simon won’t like it)
    3. Little Girl Blue------Janis Joplin (another emotional and gut-wrenching song about loving and losing by one who knows the feeling very well)
    4. Put Your Hands On Me Baby------Joss Stone ( a foot-tapping, sexy, and fun R&B song about a woman in need)
    5. Valerie-----Amy Winehouse (Amy’s finest work, in my opinion)
    6. To Make You Feel My Love------Adele (everybody knows this beautiful ballad)
    7. Criminal-----Fiona Apple (sexy stuff from Fiona; more pop than we usually get from her)
    8. World Without Tears-----Lucinda Williams (another tender torch song)
    9. Nobody Knows-----Pink (Not really a good fit, but their voices match)
    10. A Whiter Shade of Pale-----Annie Lenox (great old school blues rock ballad; she’ll love it)
    11. Purple Rain-----Prince (as sung by Ruth Lorenzo, X-Factor); (she can do it; I’ve no doubt)
    12. If We’re Not Back In Love My Monday-----Millie Jackson (a stunning, old school R&B version of this standard)
    13. I Can’t Stand The Rain-----Tina Turner (This should go over well; if Ricky and the band can reproduce the track)
    14. Jumpin Jack Flash-----Tina Turner (an old school traditional rock song)
    15. Pride and Joy------Bonnie Raitt ( a blues song that everybody knows; perfect for her voice and guitar)
    16. Ain’t No Way-----Aretha Franklin (classic R&B; don’t know if she can, but I wouldn’t suggest it to anyone this season except Crystal)
    17. How Close We Came-----Shirley Brown (another classic R&B ballad from the second best female R&B voice ever)
    18. Try A Little Tenderness-----Otis Redding (an easy and obvious choice for Crystal)
    19. Dr. Feelgood-----Aretha Franklin (might take some work, but she can do it justice).

3. Lily Scott. I Fall To Pieces? Not for me. Boring; uninteresting; lacking in entertainment value. But she’s the third best female singer, I think, so I worked out a few picks for her as well. Lacey sang one of my picks tonight, but I listed it any way.
    Smart Choices: Lilly Scott
    I included as many quirky, eclectic, and esoteric indie singers as I could.
    1. Stillness Is The Move------Dirty Projectors (intricate vocals; layered rhythms; artsy, but highly entertaining; should go over well in prime time)
    2. Luka-----Suzanne Vega ( a song everybody knows and should fit her like a glove)
    3. The Way I Am-------Ingrid Michaelson (been done, but perfect for lily)
    4. Toxic-----Yeal Naim (a slow, sensual, and quirky arrangement; very anti-Britney)
    5. Bulletproof-----La Roux (La Roux’s voice matches Lily’s, so I chose it; both singers live in a parallel universe; it’s a good fit)
    6. Umbrella-----Mandy Moore (a much slower, more soulful version than Rhianna’s)
    7. The Story-----Brandi Carlisle (Lacey sang this tonight, but you gotta admit, it woulda looked good on Crystal)
    8. Love Song-----Sara Bareflies (everybody knows this song; everybody loves this song)
    9. Come Away With Me------Norah Jones ( a good fit for Crystal; slow, emotional, lyrical)
    10. Wonderwall-----Ryan Adams (an elegant, aching, stylized, and very soulful cover of an Oasis classic; plus, Ryan’s version is acoustic guitar; Crystal will like that).
    11. When You Say Nothing At All-----Allison Krauss (beautiful country ballad that fits her perfectly; very moving song ).
    12. Send Me To The Electric Chair------Dinah Washington ( a fun blues classic about a woman who kills her cheating man then begs the judge to send her to the electric chair)
    13. Lady Sings The Blues-----Billie Holiday (she like this stuff; the song is tailor made for Crystal’s vocal styling)
    14. Sunrise------Norah Jones (a beautiful, soulful, and spiritual song; also a perfect fit)
    15. Bag Lady-----Erykah Badu (she’ll need to get round some of the lyrics, but it’s a good fit)
    16. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face-----Roberta Flack (an obvious fit).

4. Didi Benami. Hot and Cold performer, but she got this one right. Although the melody is beautiful and haunting, the lyrics speak of a dark, satanic state of mind; the song is about a schizophrenic woman who hears voices in her head; she thinks another woman; a witch named Rhiannon, lives inside her and forces her to trick and manipulate her way to happiness. This was a very good night for one of AI’s most photogenic contestants, but I didn’t pick any songs for her because I not sure she’ll be around much longer; too inconsistent.
    5. Katelyn Epperly. AI’s prettiest contestant bored me tonight. Carol can breathe life into these otherwise lifeless songs, because she believes them. Katelyn doesn’t.
    6. Lacey Brown. Credible, but soul-deprived and disconnected cover of Brandi Carlisle’s wonderful The Story. The song is about a woman, advanced in age, who looks back on her life with satisfaction and gratitude, because she got to share all of it with the man she loves.
    7. Katie Stevens. Breaking Away is a beautiful song, one of the best compositions ever from an American Idol alum. Katie looked contemporary and commercial tonight, still sings notes a page. She doesn’t get it and is clearly not ready for this.
    8. Paige Miles. Another singer I don’t understand at all. She and Todrick are the two remaining urban R&B singers, and, I expect both to leave this week, no matter what they do. Paige was scared and resigned tonight; I could see it in her eyes. She recognizes what’s happening. Sure, R&B singers succeeded on American Idol (Reuben, Tamyra, Fantasia) but things are different now. Lately, American Idol voters have ceremoniously dismissed every R&B singer, but I’m not sure race is the determining factor. The real cause is America’s sudden distaste for R&B. The genre is now wrongly associated with baggy pants, gangstas, dirty rap lyrics, immorality, and crime. In addition, the changing American Idol demographic hurts R&B contestants as well. In 2008, the show averaged about 26 million viewers weekly, but only 1.34 million were African American. Even if all of them voted to keep R&B safe, it wouldn’t matter. Worse, the average age of the American Idol viewer shifted upward into the mid forties; American Idol has lost about nine per cent of its under seventeen viewers. Who’s more likely to vote R&B? Young kids or baby boomers? Obviously kids are more comfortable with rap, hip-hop, and R&B. Perhaps the trend is cyclical, I don’t know, but if I were a young R&B singer, I wouldn’t audition for American Idol; not in this climate.

Forgive the typos. I work two jobs, so I’m tired.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 03-10-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;3851751.1. [B
    Siobhan Magnus.[/B] The Animalsí House of the Rising Sun is about a Brothel in New Orleans called the House of the Rising Sun, where the singerís dad used to get drunk and do stuff with the ladies. Like his father, the son likes it too, but is now worried the place has sucked the life out of him, but still canít stop; so he pleads with mothers not to let their sons do what he has done. Iím aware the judges prefer Crystal but I like Siobhan. Sheís a good singer whoís quirky, pretty, funny, and strange; and infinitely likable. Yeah, this performance was boring but none of it matters to me; all thatís required of a superstar lives inside her.
    House of the Rising Sun is one of my all time favorite songs, and I think Siobhan did a fantastic version of it. I found it anything but boring. Unlike Simon, I think last week she was just okay and this week I was enthralled. She has become one of my favorites. However, there is a lot of speculation on what that song really means, with no consensus reached as far as I know. I think its a song that can be sung from either gender's perspective, and I wish she had said "many a poor girl" in her version. But that's just being nit picky. For anyone who is interested in the history of the song, here is a link that kind of puts it all together in one place. I guess you can pick whatever meaning suits your fancy

The House of the Rising Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;3851751;
    American Idol has lost about nine per cent of its under seventeen viewers. Who’s more likely to vote R&B? Young kids or baby boomers? Obviously kids are more comfortable with rap, hip-hop, and R&B.
    Great analysis, as always. Only one sentence I disagree with (so of course I'm quoting that above.)

I wouldn't blame the decline of Idol R&B on the boomers. Have you not watched "The Big Chill"? We grew up on Motown, Aretha, Roberta Flack, Marvin Gaye. We loved MJ. And we also fell for the white soul of Hall & Oates, Steve Winwood, and Michael Bolton. (Don't hate us.) We are now in our 50's and 60's. I think it's the 30 and 40 somethings that are missing the R&B gene. Their childhood memories are of disco, punk, and 80's pop.

That's my theory, anyway. What do you think?
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 03-10-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IBeacher;3851674;
    I've read these boards and been a fan for years but don't think I've ever posted. However... being a huge Fleetwood Mac fan I cringe every time I see the song listed as "Rhianna". It's actually Rhiannon. Haven't seen it sung yet on the West Coast. I think it's coming up next.
    Welcome, and thank you for posting the correction! Everytime I saw somebody spell it differently, I was questioning myself. I always thought it was Rhiannon and started wondering if I had been wrong all these years!

I noticed last night many thought Didi was butchering Stevie Nicks on her performance. The thing is, Didi wasn't doing Stevie. She was doing herself singing a song Stevie sang. I thought it was a very interesting spin on the song. Not too far from the original, but different enough not to be karaoke.

Even though I did like Didi's performance, I LOVED Crystal's and Siobhan's. They are easily my 2 favorites, and at this point, I like them equally.

Regarding Crystal's perceived attitude - I don't think she has an attitude at all. In fact, I'm wondering if she is still not really feeling well. It was interesting that she sat down while the judges critiqued her. What other contestant has done that? I would think that if there wasn't a good reason, the judges would call her out on that. But it appears a place was made for her to sit on when she was done performing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD;3851545;
    Crystal is it. Case closed.
    Crystal will be in the TOP 2, Simon, not just Top 12.

The question remaining is: Which male will be her runner-up?
    There doesn't need to be a male runner up - I think Siobhan will be next to her. Can't wait to hear the girls and guys go head to head...me thinks despite tonight, the girls are way ahead of the boys this year.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3851739;
    I don't think they're supporting Paige. Even though Simon has described her voice as the best, it seemed that she was total fodder from the beginning. Plus, it's kind of hard to believe that the judges would now pimp a contestant that went virtually unnoticed throughout the auditions and Hollywood Week.

I want Paige in the Top12. I think she has had a better track record than Lacey, and although I believe Lacey did better than Paige last night, it still wasn't that great of a performance. Plus, if Lacey makes it in, I fear that her voice would sound too much like Didi's and Lily's, both of whom I prefer over Lacey. Lacey was actually one of my favorites coming in, but she has been disappointing in these semis, and in this tight field of ladies, I hope it's Lacey who just misses out in the Top12.

As for the other girl, I think it should be Katie. She's not that great IMO. She should have waited for to audition in the future, in order to develop her skills. But as of now, she hasn't had one blowout performance.

Paige is still in trouble, and so is Katelyn. But I hope Katelyn makes it in; she has been the most solid of the girls, after delivering 3 good performances.

I didn't see all the auditions or Hollywood week, and I loved Paige from the first day. No, last night was a wreck, but to me Lacey, Didi or Katie need to go, Paige needs to stay to round out the group.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3851775;
    Regarding Crystal's perceived attitude - I don't think she has an attitude at all. In fact, I'm wondering if she is still not really feeling well. It was interesting that she sat down while the judges critiqued her. What other contestant has done that? I would think that if there wasn't a good reason, the judges would call her out on that. But it appears a place was made for her to sit on when she was done performing.
    I noticed that and mentioned it last night. Hope she is okay.

As for the whole R&B talk, I think right now these quirky female singers etc... are in style. AI sees who they can market and what they haven't got yet. They have had winners and successful people in the past in R&B, Rock, Country and now want to cash in on the whole Taylor Swift, Duffy, Adele genre.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread