+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 3/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/9 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by IBeacher;3851674;
    ...I love Siobhan. She should do some Natalie Merchant.
    Early Natalie Merchant....what was that band she was in when she started out? Or maybe Cowboy Junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3851504;
    Simon is on crack if he thinks that it is the best of the night.
    ITA.
    Didi is just adorable, but I don't like what she does with her voice. It's kind of a cross between Megan and Brooke White and neither was a fave of mine.

Word to AI female contestants. If you're gonna have the audacity to touch a Stevie Nicks song, you better know what you're doing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome to posting IBeacher!

IMO Blues is in Crystal's wheelhouse. I enjoyed her performance tonight, but playing it safe comes to mind. She did a great job with the song and she is a early favorite of mine. (Not sure how much of it comes from my "Save the Rocker" mentality of last year with Allison tho. LOL) But it does kind of bug how she got accolades from the judges for a song that wasn't really a stretch for her. Not saying she should have gotten a bad review, just that if the judges weren't solidly in her court, she would have been called on that. Crystal's best feature is not her voice. It is her performance. She has shown improvement, I take back my earlier statement. The improvement she has shown is confidence in performing. On stage. She has that dynamic "it" thing for being on stage, with a audience. That can't be taught, it can be learned, but not taught. She has picked it up fast. Many of the others, male and female aren't catching on as quickly and that has been a real problem for them.

Siobhan really took a chance tonight. It wasn't perfect, but it was a great song choice for her. The acapella at the beginning was awesome and a smart move. It showcased her best feature, her voice. Her stage presence needs some work. Not sure her quirky nature works for her. I have some trouble when watching her, but love the tone of her voice.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

My meeting tonight ran late and I missed the first 1/3 of the show.
    Sounds like Siobhan did well, so I'm sorry to have missed that.
    I'm not a big fan of Lily. Her performance tonight, though, was OK. I don't think she has the greatest voice, but it's kind of interesting. Something about her, though, not sure if it's the hair, clothing, the way she idly strums the guitar or what - it just distracts from her performance, for me at least.
    I already commented on Didi upthread.
    I felt bad for Paige. I agree that she has a very good voice. That certainly wasn't her best performance. Sad to hear that she did it because of MJ and it choked her up.
    Katelyn started off OK with Carole King, but then it just dragged on and on. She is adorable, though, but that's not a reason to keep her.
    Loved Crystal once again. She's very comfortable on a stage and she just has an incredible voice. I sure don't get an arrogant vibe from her at all. She almost looks as if she's just awed by even being a part of this competition. And, I do have to say that while she's a great performer, she happens to have a great voice. She doesn't have to use any tricks like some of the others resort to. Her voice and style are so good that you just have to listen to her. There are very few people on AI that ever have that level of talent.

By the way, I'm watching Glee for the first time ever tonight!!
    Why can't the people from Glee sign up to be on AI?
    THe girl who sang the Jennifer Holliday song from Dreamgirls did much better than even Jennifer Hudson did in the movie.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-10-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3851614;
    That is very true. I am growing tired of the way this show is set up. I thought Paige performed on the same level as some of the other girls last night but she really has to be twice as good as the others to make it half as far.
    Set up?

The setup has been that Paige has been getting total tongue baths for her "great voice" week after week, even when she's sung with little energy or personality. The show has TOTALLY favored her.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3851687;
    Early Natalie Merchant....what was that band she was in when she started out? Or maybe Cowboy Junkies.
    10000 Maniacs. There is a great catalogue of songs she could sing from that era. She has Natalie's mannerisms so it would be a good fit.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3851689;
    Welcome to posting IBeacher!
    Thanks! I'm embarrassed to say that most of the cr*p I watch is in the "Other Reality Shows" section. Not sure I could ever bring myself to post there!

I'm getting tired of Randy Jackson. His grating style and repetitive comments are becoming more annoying than Paula Abdul's non-presence and stolen criticisms. I might have to mute him, too.

I can't see/hear Kara without thinking of Julia Roberts. She's okay but has an odd way of often seeming/acting like she's trying to be really deep.

The faux flirting with Cowell (Kara last week; Ellen this week) is getting lame fast.
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;3851710;
    I'm getting tired of Randy Jackson. His grating style and repetitive comments are becoming more annoying than Paula Abdul's non-presence and stolen criticisms. I might have to mute him, too.

I can't see/hear Kara without thinking of Julia Roberts. She's okay but has an odd way of often seeming/acting like she's trying to be really deep.

The faux flirting with Cowell (Kara last week; Ellen this week) is getting lame fast.
    Randy has always been - and still is - my favorite judge. He has the best innate ability to identify winning performers/performances. IMO, he hits it right nearly every single time.

I know he talks in "slang" but when it comes down to it, his feedback is just as - if not more so - valuable than Simon's. People just give Simon more credibility. Of all the judges, I think Paula often had the best advice for the contestants.

Kara has good advice, I think, but for whatever reason, I have yet to warm up to her. She's not Paula and should stop trying to be. The flirting with Simon needs to stop.

I think they are trying to pimp Paige now knowing that she had the least face time coming to the the semis and they do not have any african american woman left. But she sealed her fate on this one. She'll be gone and....i think Katelyn who did a very uninspiring karaoke performance. Lacey might yet make it to the top 12 based on her performance tonite and despite disappointing performances the past two weeks but it may be too little too late.

P.S. Natalie Merchant was from the band, 10,000 Maniacs.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 03-10-2010 at 03:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread