+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 3/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I'm really confused. Do the judges want them to change the song or do they not want them to change the song? Everyone who has tried has gotten ripped for it and everyone who hasn't....has gotten ripped for it. I feel bad for all of them because they can't possibly guess what is wanted from them.....
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Oh god, the judging this year is schizoid...Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I also was disgusted to watch Kara ( about whom I never had anything negative to say prior to this season) continue to play with, simper to press against and concentrate on Simon. I ended up just totally muting the sound when the judges spoke

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3845686;
    This will always be Bo's song for me. He sang it with such feeling. And Casey I like you, but Bo did it best!
    I couldn't agree more. That is exactly what I said to hubby last night
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3846151;
    I'm really confused. Do the judges want them to change the song or do they not want them to change the song? Everyone who has tried has gotten ripped for it and everyone who hasn't....has gotten ripped for it. I feel bad for all of them because they can't possibly guess what is wanted from them.....
    That was incredibly irritating last night. The poor guys couldn't do anything right - change up the song and they get "Yo, dawg, that was too much! Too out there!" Sing it like it was originally recorded and they hear "Yo, dawg, you gotta make it your own! Too boring!"

And Kara? I have no words.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;38460966. [B
    Jermaine Sellers. [/B] I actually think he can sing, and, I think he did a good job with What's Going On, which has a great message (saving the planet). The problem is the messenger. Jermaine is so full of himself, so narcissistic, and so unlikable, itís hard to be objective, but I have to be fair; the dude can sing.
    What's Going On isn't about saving the planet, it's an anti-war song from the Vietnam era. Unless my memory is faulty
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Regular

Last night shifted my personal rankings of the guys a bit. I'm ranking them on what I see as overall appeal, not merely vocal quality. Yes, this is a singing competition, but I'm so turned off by what I perceive to be a bad attitude that I would never vote for, nor purchase, music from some people.

1 Lee Dewyze - I found him by far the most memorable of the guys last night. Being more than a bit past hip and turned in to the relatively recent music scene, I didn't know "Lips of an Angel", but he inspired me to go look up the original on youtube this morning. Would I have been as blown away by the overall performance if I'd known the original? I don't know, but as someone hearing the song for the first time, I was very interested. Definitely my favorite of the guys at this point.

2 Michael Lynche - Maybe I just wasn't expecting that much this week when he started singing, but my initial reaction was that, "aha, we do have a contender here." I thought he was definitely good, and he seems like a decent guy even if I am rapidly tiring of the wife giving birth during Hollywood week angle.

3 Casey James - Last week he would have been my number one or two. He's slipped a little for me this week, but I, in no way, thought he deserved what he heard from the judges. And he was great on the guitar. He gets to stay in my top three, in part because I remember last week, and in part because I think he's got so much potential. Or maybe it's just because he's good-looking enough that I'd rather watch him on my screen than some of the others. I think he has the potential to be the entire package, even though he isn't there yet.

4 Tim Urban - I know, I must be out of my mind to rank him this high. But I remembered him, while I've already forgotten about many of the other performances one morning later. Here's the thing about Tim... he's got so much charm and he's got such a strong underdog vibe going for him now that I've gone from thinking I needed to press the mute button (last week) to thinking this poor kid just needs a little more voice training. And, yes, the camera loves him. He was so much improved from week 1 to week 2, I want to see what he does given more time. I'm not at all convinced he has the vocal chops to be a successful singer based on talent alone, but, in all honestly, neither do several singers who have become very successful.

5 Alex Lambert - He's a better singer than some of the people I've ranked higher, but so far, I'd have trouble remembering his name if he didn't share a first initial and last name with someone I really loved on this show. He's perfectly fine, I just don't find him memorable yet. I like him when I see him, but he doesn't leap to my mind as a favorite on this show yet.

6 Aaron Kelly - I feel really bad about putting his this low on my rankings, since I think he actually has a really good voice. But when he gets on the stage, I get scared for him because he just seems so young. I can't relax and enjoy the performance, I get too caught up in his nervousness. He'll move up higher in my rankings fast as he gains confidence, I think, but right now, I just want him to grow more comfortable with himself and this process a little more.

7 Andrew Garcia - I didn't like his performance last night, and I didn't see what the judges apparently saw. I wasn't appalled, I was just bored. He gets to be here on my list since I still remember "Straight Up", but he'd have slipped even further down if I didn't have that in my memory.

8 Todrick Hall - He's trying to be interesting and put his own spin on things, so I guess I give him a little credit there. However, I can't forget about the raising money for the musical scandal, so I can't really warm to him. And while at least I don't forget about him, I don't just love his voice or his renditions.

9 John Parks - Not memorable. I seriously couldn't remember what he sang this morning, and had to go remind myself. This does not bode well for him.

10 Jermaine Sellers - Yes, he is a better singer than people higher on my list. Yes, he gave a better performance than people higher on my list. But I can't stand his attitude, so as far as I've concerned, he's going to live at the bottom of my list until he gets eliminated. I have completely lost interest in him, and I couldn't care less what he sings at this point. I don't particularly like to see that much narcissism in established stars, but he certainly hasn't "earned the right" (if anyone ever really earns the right) to be so arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3845745;
    I am a minority here, but I like Alex! He has a lot of potential! Mullet or no mullet!
    I like him too. But then I usually am in the minority.

I think Idol / Idol fans need to decide what they / we want from the show. Do we want a total raw talent we can watch grow (or not) over several weeks, or do we want an already polished performer to wow us, like David Cook? The original premise of this show, I understand, was to find people with raw talent and mold them into performers. Now its more about, you didn't wow us, you're nervous, you didn't perform well, you didn't make that song your own. Heck, I'm all for being entertained, and no one has ever come up to David Cook's standard for me, but I'm also willing to give these kids a chance to grow a bit on the stage. I don't always like the style they sing (Lord knows I passionately hate all those runs they always have to throw in there), but the only way I'll turn against a contestant is if their personality irritates me.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRose;3846219;
    Last night shifted my personal rankings of the guys a bit. I'm ranking them on what I see as overall appeal, not merely vocal quality. Yes, this is a singing competition, but I'm so turned off by what I perceive to be a bad attitude that I would never vote for, nor purchase, music from some people.
    Interesting list! Thanks for that and I agree that bad attitude is deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3846220;
    I think Idol / Idol fans need to decide what they / we want from the show. Do we want a total raw talent we can watch grow (or not) over several weeks, or do we want an already polished performer to wow us, like David Cook? The original premise of this show, I understand, was to find people with raw talent and mold them into performers. ..
    I didn't see the early seasons so I have no historical perspective, but if the original goal was "raw" talent, who was doing the molding and mentoring? Certainly not the judges, who can't articulate why one performance works and another doesn't. I understand the Freemantle creative staff (arrangers, vocal coaches, stylists) try to help and advise, but not really mentor. They never take control and always defer to the wishes (foolhardy or otherwise) of the contestant.

I definitely think the audience likes to see growth - but that doesn't necessarily mean that the performer starts out as a blob of clay (or Clay) and evolves into a pop superstar over three months. That could also be a journey of discovery, where we keep being surprised by different sides of a polished performer - something that David Cook and Kris Allen were both adept at doing.

Certainly the flip side of that is the performer who peaks too early, and then has not a lot of new tricks to show us as the weeks drag on (Danny Gokey and David Archuleta, both talented, had a hard time exceeding their early performances.) Andrew Garcia is currently caught in that rut; although it's very early and he may pull out just fine.

Hmmm.. I think my choice is clear - I'll take professional over raw any day. But at this point in the competition I'll allow for some undercooked performances (Lee, Alex, Tim) and hope that they will improve. Quickly.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 03-03-2010 at 11:08 AM.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Casey and Lee made the night for me with Alex and Tim right behind them.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3846214;
    That was incredibly irritating last night. The poor guys couldn't do anything right - change up the song and they get "Yo, dawg, that was too much! Too out there!" Sing it like it was originally recorded and they hear "Yo, dawg, you gotta make it your own! Too boring!"
    You are so right. It's no wonder the contestants are confused.
    If they change the song up, they're told they should sing it the way it was written.
    If they DON'T change it up, they are told they're not original, a copycat or that they are "Karaoke".
    I don't get it.
    Maybe they're only supposed to change a couple of notes??
    I wish the judges would explain themselves better.

+ Reply to Thread