+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 3/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Alex, Aaron, and Tim should form a boy band. They can call themselves ATA

Kara should have left Casey alone. While he wasn't great this week (Bo owns that song), I think alot of the silliness hurt him. He'll get through though. Lee is my big surprise, I am really liking him.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Are these guys really the best they could find? I haven't seen anything "special" from any of them yet. Tim and John should go.

FORT Fogey

I've gotta go replay the end to get phone numbers....

Okay, just replayed parts - love it that Randy called Ellen "E."

Did I miss what the theme was this week? Seems like a free-for-all to me. Are they doing themes this year?
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 03-02-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajefferson10;3845821;
    Simon is right. Jermaine is totally disconnected with the meaning of the song. "What's Going On?" was an anti-war/social-consciousness song. These kids need to take the lyrics seriously and change the arrangement based on the emotional impact of the song, not just based on vocal tricks.
    I'm on the WC so I have not seen the show and am trying to read through these to see if I should tape.
    Marvin Gaye is probably my all time fave R & B singer.
    I'm not sure I'm going to be able to watch this.

ETA:
    Just saw Big Mike. I agree he's improved from last week, but I didn't think it was that great. And, he just has way too much attitude for me.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-02-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

OK, here's where I think the guys stand at week 2. This is a ranking of how I perceive their popularity. The letter grades rate their performance tonight.

Casey James B+
    “I Don’t Want to Be” by Gavin Degraw
    Yeah, Kara drooling over Casey was cringe-worthy, but it served it's purpose. It got him noticed and set him apart before the live singing began. And then once the singing started Casey, alone amoung the guys, has delivered two strong performances. I say to Casey's fans, start saving your money because Casey will be coming to your town this summer on the Idol tour. The only question is in what position will he be singing.

Michael Lynche B
    “This is a Man’s World” by James Brown
    Michael edges ahead of Andrew with a strong performance. Not great, but really for the first time he's given us a glimpse of the soulful singer he might become. Definitely left us wanting more.

Now here's the really sad thing: Casy and Michael were the only two singers to actually stay on pitch and sound like they meant what they were singing. Everyone else failed on these two minimum requirements to one degree or another.

Andrew Garcia C
    “You Give Me Something” by James Morrison
    Andrew came in to the semi-finals as the top guy, but he's slipped a bit in each of his live performances. Tonight was really his poorest singing. This is not a good direction. Still he's got enough momentum to get to the finals if he can show us soon why we liked him to begin with.

Lee DeWyze B-
    “Lips of an Angel” by Hinder
    Lee's got the Springsteen growly voice and a real passion and commitment. Add autotune and he's perfect. But this is American Idol and we expect even our rock stars to actually carry the tune. So much going for him he is surely safe, but he's got to get some vocal consistency.

Aaron Kelly B-
    “My Girl” by the Temptations
    Aaron brought some vocal chops back and made a much more confident effort this week. He should be safe - but if he wants to succeed in the finals he's got to get better fast.

Tim Urban C+
    “Come On Get Higher” by Matt
    Alex and Tim Urban are in this in-between place. They both had no pre-season exposure and pretty awful initial performances. But this week, they not only sang better, they showed what they uniquely have to offer. With Tim we really get to see more of his personality. The camera loves this guy; he is so comfortable just blabbing. And he's cute. Yeah, the singing is so-so. But there is a demographic that is going to go for this guy, and could even put him in the finals.

Alex Lambert C+
    “Everybody Knows” by John Legend
    Like Tim, Alex is much improved. Alex has that liquid, heartfelt voice. But is has absolutely no experience - he literaly doesn't know what to do. Unless he is a quick study and suddenly finds a boatload of self-esteem, I don't see how he can hang on.

Jermine Sellers C-
    “What’s Goin’ On” by Marvin Gaye
    Jermaine is doomed. Nice voice, but he has no point of view. For him, a song is just a vehicle to show off the vocal chops. He will try to follow the judge's misplaced advice about "song choice" and not realize that the songs aren't the problem. He has no soul.

Todrick Hall C+
    “What’s Love Got to do with It” by Tina Turner
    Ditto. He's the secular Jermaine Sellers. He's all show and no soul. Both Jermaine and Todrick are sinking down the list.

John Park C
    "Gravity" by John Mayer
    Minimal pimping + a disastrous first round + a boring second week = boot. Sad to say that Tim Urban will get more votes with his looks and personality than John will with his superior voice. But in truth, John hasn't done anything interesting with that voice.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 03-02-2010 at 11:42 PM.

TopCatDC - I agree with your entire analysis.
    I admit to voting for Tim Urban tonight....with a couple thrown to Lee Dewyze (BTW, he's got the greatest name....rolls so easily off the tongue).
    Tim was much improved. I thought he was toast last week and was very sad to see Joe go home.

John Park and either Toddrick or Jermaine can go home. I found Jermaine to be very cocky and arrogant. Is he the one that threw the band under the bus during the Hollywood rounds? I get easily confused.

Quote Originally Posted by LalahLand;3845957;
    Alex, Aaron, and Tim should form a boy band. They can call themselves ATA
    Or T&A's

FORT Fogey

I voted for Alex - I loved him this week and thought his vocals last week were really good as well (again, many of this year's unseasoned performers are much better heard than seen - cringe).

Plus, I think he deserves a medal for having to take that wicked Mary Powers' abuse during Hollywood Week!

I've never voted for AI before. Not once. I did tonight. I really didn't like Lee in Hollywood, but I'm loving him now. I had to vote...lol. I love his voice, his look and I might have a little crush...he's cute!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread