+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2/24 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 2/24 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm thinking back to last season, and let's face it, there were some pretty craptastic performances even when they were down to Top 13. Remember Jasmine Murray? What about Matt's slaughtering of Viva la Vida? Not to mention some of the vocal violations of Lil Rounds...and Scott Macintyre. And that was MUCH further into the competition than we are now! Anyway, putting the past two nights into that perspective has made me a little more hopeful for what is yet to come. There have been some pretty decent, even good, vocals. And I've decided that it really helps not to watch them at first - just listen - you don't have to deal with the awkwardness and cringe-worthy attempts at stage presence that don't quite go over the way they contestants thought they would when they practiced in the mirror.

okay...so maybe I am missing something already posted here...but WHY did they add Tim Urban? They didn't have 13 males? So who did he replace and why?

FORT Fogey

I just had a flashback of Gokey's scream that went on forever, and it made me laugh out loud sitting here by myself at the computer. Ah, memories!

Idol Fan

I found it a rather strange night and hard to distinguish ratings among the greatest number of contestants, there being so much that was wrong, and yet with a certain level of talent that all seemed fairly clumped together. Probably not surprising, given they want a girl to win.

I'm realizing I very much mind when, on the very first performance night, however, the judges don't treat them as being at the very beginning of this journey. Instead, they leap to critique them as if they were already professional when they should be judging them at the very start of their learning process. That makes me downright irritated with them!

It would not only be wonderful if they did give them song choice lessons, but also taught them just how to go about recognizing their strengths and weaknesses and vocal ranges. Sure, some have experience; but what we all love most is watching them develop and grow on this show and get even better. And there are always some wonderful contestants with great talent and potential who are completely untrained and new to this. That is what I find so satisfying - finding such raw talents and giving them this opportunity and watching them develop and grow and take off.

I am going to have to listen again to last night's show, later, because in a few instances I feel I've heard something entirely different than a lot of what I've read here - just a couple, anyway.

Most notably, Joe Munez. Though I found him likeable, I also thought he came across noticeably nervous and scared, and would put him on the bottom, next to last.

Last, I would put Tim Urban. Yes, I feel sorry for him getting thrown in at the last minute, but... I still remember being really shocked, in Hollywood, when out of 2 guys, he was chosen when he sang much worse and was flat. There are too many left I'd rather see stay.

Andy Garcia is the one who most impressed me and stood out for me, followed by Casey James.

Now, unpopular as it is, I liked John Parks. Of course I didn't like his song choice, but I have to say I loved his voice far more than many and think he can be really good.

I also have to give kudos to both Aaron and Jermaine. Aaron impressed me, though he definitely needs polish and study and I really enjoyed his performance. As for Jermaine, though he did border on screeching, I liked his energy and his talent enough to put him high on my list. That guy can really perform. Have him pick a song better suited to his voice, and I think he'd be terrific.

Lee was good but boring and I wondered if he'll grow or sound the same - I think I'd like his voice once or twice, but get tired of it. Of course, song choice would make a big difference, and learning to project some energy and soulfulness.

Alex is someone I wished I had managed to give a number of votes to keep in. And I really, really wish he'd get to stay after tonight. He was surprisingly full of potential and I liked him and his voice! Too bad he had no coverage!

Big Mike, on the other hand, who I've loved when it comes to his personality and beaming smile, disappointed me. He was just....o.k. Very disappointed.

Tyler, who I could enjoy, has me wondering, like the judges, who he really is and how he'd do if he left the '70's behind.

And Todrick, might fall under the bus, and certainly didn't stand out as fantastic, yet I thought was no worse than many there and enjoyable.

Now, I didn't, deliberately, address the contestants in any definite order. So I'd sum up saying I thought there were very few stand-outs, who really stood out for me (Andy, Casey, Aaron & Jermaine. I hope Alex gets to stay. Both Todrick & Tyler & Joe could fall in the bottom, next to Tim Urban. As much as I liked him, I would put Joe there. Though I'm guessing Tyler or even John Parks - both of whom I'd like to see stay and be interested to hear what they'd do next and if they'd develop, could easily fall to the bottom.

As I said, a strange night. But for all I was disappointed in the femaie selection, and found a couple I was crazy about (Siobhan & Cristal, Michelle & Katelyn), I have to say I loved Andy Garcia, Casey and Aaron, possibly even more - at least, Andy, anyway. And song contest or not, not mentioning Casey's magnetism and appeal is like not talking about the elephant in the room. Wow!

Not only are the judges, more than ever before, pushing changing arrangements and songs to show originality and creativity, but they have made a very weird selection of unusual styles this season - particularly among the girls.

Tonight might actually be a little surprising. I'm nervously looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nani;3840069;
    okay...so maybe I am missing something already posted here...but WHY did they add Tim Urban? They didn't have 13 males? So who did he replace and why?
    Chris Golightly Disqualified From 'American Idol' Top 24 - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

Thanks Unclescott!

FORT Fogey

Who is Tyler? I've already forgotten and will need to go back through the thread and read....

I've posted a link to their performance video in each of the contestant's threads.

Idol Fan

Tyler was the wannabe 70's "rocker."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote;3840092;
    Tyler was the wannabe 70's "rocker."
    Oh yeah - I liked him! Guess I can only remember them by first-and-last name at this point. Not on a first name basis yet.

+ Reply to Thread