+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2/24 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 2/24 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I truly wish that we had the wildcard this year...with top 32 for us to vote on - we would NOT end up with this crappy group of guys (mostly) and half the girls. But, at least some of the good girl singers would not have been sent home before we had our say! Only 3 guy that were descent in our house.

Can't wait till the girls and guys sing on the same night - no wonder they forced it this way - even the disappointing girls will sing rings around most of the guys!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3839803;
    It's a shame that the judges don't offer a class on what song to sing! Give them instances/songs to choose.
    Truly.
    If they each had a personalized list of 10 or so songs to choose from, there would be a huge difference.
    Too often we see the singers choosing songs that they love, instead of songs that they can sing well and make sound good.

Last night was dismal. Way too many bad song choices.

FORT Fogey

1. Casey James - easily the best guy
    2. Andrew Garcia - needs to connect with the audience better, but great voice
    3. John Park - love the tone of his voice, but the song sucked
    4. Michael Lynche - really liked him Hollywood, but last night was too bouncy and high pitched
    5. Lee Dewyze - ok
    6. Joe Munoz - like his dark eyes
    The rest I either don't like or don't particularly even remember!
    7. Aaron Kelly
    8. Jermaine Sellers
    9. Tyler Grady
    10. Todrick Hall
    11. Alex Lambert
    12. Tim Urban

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unimpressive show last night, except for the last 2 singers. Kara had better cool her jets before she ends up in the tabloids, like Paula did over Corey.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3839803;
    It's a shame that the judges don't offer a class on what song to sing! Give them instances/songs to choose.
    Well, funny you should mention that - there is actually a whole website devoted to Idol's song choices called What Not To Sing. Last year they did a quite wonderful article on choosing a song called Eight Simple Rules. Any contestant who hasn't bothered to learn from the mistakes (and successes) of past contestants is wasting their time (and ours), in my opinion. Here is a quick rundown of the WNTS rules:

Choose a likeable, accessible, crowd-pleasing song...
    ...Whose strength is in the songwriting, rather than the personality or exceptional talents of the artist...
    ...Which hasn't already been sung to death on the show, or so well by a prior contestant that you'd only be inviting negative comparisons...
    ...Which lies realistically within your performing capabilities...
    ...Which you can rearrange to showcase your personality and vocal strengths, without destroying the song's fundamental character or resorting to gimmicks...
    ...Which you fully understand the message of the lyrics and can convey their meaning confidently...
    ...Which can be compressed effectively into one of Idol's 90-second "drive-by" performance slots...
    ...And finally, for heaven's sake, don't forget to sing it well!
    Take this list to Casey's performance and you will see why it worked.

Exactly how many of the top 24 play (or have played) the guitar since we've been introduced to them- it seems like a huge number this year?

Major pimpage on Andrew for the boys. That being said, after seeing the boy’s performances, I think most did better than the girls. I’m sure it’s nerves but Andrew, Casey, and Joe stood out for me.

3 worst for me would be Jermaine “screechfest” Sellers, John “superboring” Park, and definitely Tim “major suckage” Urban who I thought before should not have been the replacement for Golightly. That was the most craptastic performance of the season so far. It was cringe worthy! Simon was correct in saying why they cut him and shouldn’t have been brought back.

I bet Tim and Jermaine to go home ASAP. Alex needs to develop stage presence but he does have a good tone in his voice so I would like him to stay another week.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3839877;
    Well, funny you should mention that - there is actually a whole website devoted to Idol's song choices called What Not To Sing. Last year they did a quite wonderful article on choosing a song called Eight Simple Rules. Any contestant who hasn't bothered to learn from the mistakes (and successes) of past contestants is wasting their time (and ours), in my opinion. Here is a quick rundown of the WNTS rules:

Take this list to Casey's performance and you will see why it worked.
    And because of song clearance issues (and later on people having to pick from a list and sometimes getting their 5th choice), a lot of that... means nothing.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I think every season, the performers go through that initial case of nerves which is further complicated by having to pick a song that will prove to the judges and the viewers that they deserve to be there.
    So, in that regard, I can't really cut any more slack for these guys than has been given to other contestants in prior seasons.
    I think AI, more so this year even than prior years, is so focused on "casting contestants" with these perfect backstories that the viewers will embrace that they decided to forego - people who can actually sing.
    While it can be said that some performances last night were better than others, nothing was really stellar and / or "breakout." If the nicest thing a judge can say is that you've got such a great "personality" (Michael) or such great "looks" (Casey), then it's pretty obvious to me that you've got a bunch of lemons.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Lee, Casey and Aaron stood out for me last night as the best. Tim was just dreadful, but with that Zac Efron look, we may be stuck with him awhile longer if he gets the little girl vote.

+ Reply to Thread