+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 2/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I think there will be more girls in the top 10 than guys.

I think what we saw last night was common for Idol. First night jitters were to blame for a few of them.

Haeley is one of the lest deserving contestants to make it out of Hollywood week ever (and the big guy who sang Barry Manilow one year).

The rest just were trying too hard and/or just not comfortable yet. Luckily, most will get a chance to do better next time.

I posted an observation about how Lilly made fun of Michelle while she was singing on the AI forum, but it got pulled pretty quickly. Did anyone here notice it? I saw it in the recap portion but it may have shown during the performance as well. Lilly mimicked Michelle's body movements and was giggling with Janell about it while Michelle was singing. It was relatively harmless, but some posters in the "official" community got up in arms that I pointed it out. I found it to be funny. What did you think?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dianalo;3838644;
    I posted an observation about how Lilly made fun of Michelle while she was singing on the AI forum, but it got pulled pretty quickly. Did anyone here notice it? I saw it in the recap portion but it may have shown during the performance as well. Lilly mimicked Michelle's body movements and was giggling with Janell about it while Michelle was singing. It was relatively harmless, but some posters in the "official" community got up in arms that I pointed it out. I found it to be funny. What did you think?
    I'm 500 miles away from my DVR, so I can't comment directly. However if the "mocking" happened during the recap, I'll just note that the end-of-show recaps are footage from the dress rehearsal, not the live show. In that case it might not seem so grievous that Lily was goofing off in the background. Although it should be taken as a lesson for all of them that even rehearsal footage can come back to haunt them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3838622;
    But, I would argue with he AI producers about that. There is no gender imbalance. Out of eight seasons, the winners are evenly split: four male, four female. We live in a perfect world.
    However, out of the 16 top finishers.....first and second place, there have been 10 males and only 6 females...and the last two seasons, both 1st and
    2nd places have been won by males.....so apparenlty AI has somethng up their rear, that they want females to dominate this season. Voters have no reason to be concerned with gender, just good singing.

Are we going to have voting again this year? You know, the ones we predict who will get kicked off....I came in late last year, but I believed it started this week....

Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3838417;
    I watched the performance videos on the AI site this morning as I didn't get to watch the show last night. I had no idea who got the pimp spot, judges comments etc. so I was not influenced by any of that. I thought Katie was fantastic. Siobahn was a very, very close second followed by Crystal. Was terribly disappointed by Lily. Ashley was terrible.
    We obviously watched the same show, Unk, because I completely agree with you.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3838503;
    Every year they are the "best group ever".
    I guess the powers that be figure they wouldn't have many tune in if they said that the group was mediocre.

But that would be an interesting topic for discussion... which Season really was the "best group/season ever"??? Every year has launched the career of a few of the participants...
    And which season was the "worst group/season ever"??
    The worst group ever I think was the one when Fantasia won. The worst boys by far. Not one of them would have made it this year's AI. The women at least had Fantasia, Latoya, and Jennifer.

The best group? Hmmmm, i have to think about that. Maybe the one when Taylor Hicks won. Daughtry and Yamin should have been final 2.

As for the girls this year....I wasn't big on Katelyn Epperly. I thought she was the weakest but she surprised me. Haley was the least experienced but she's the most unique and that's why she got in over Angela. Unfortunately she didn't sing a country song which could go against her. There was no other country girl and she could have used that to her advantage, however, she will survive this first round.

I'm sad to say that I was pretty underwhelmed last night.
    There are a couple who have nice voices but, they either picked wrong song, had pitch problems, were in wrong key, etc.
    I, too, hope that Crystal is not a one trick pony. I thought her Natural Woman choice was phenomenal. Wasn't overly impressed with her Morisette choice last night.
    I found Haeley and her song choice very annoying.
    I think Siobhan has some good vocals, but I wasn't excited by her rendition of Isaak.
    Katie does have a good voice but she needs to find her style and make it more fresh and contemporary.
    And, I'm totally unimpressed with Lily Scott. It reminded me too much of Megan and that's not a good thing, for me, at all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3838578;
    With two years of both winners being male, AI must feel that they want to equalize the gender imbalance. Simon's proclamation that it is the girls' year didn't play out in this show.
    Well, we have yet to see the men. They are at a distinct advantage going second. They have time to tweak their performance if needed. All who are not putting their own spin on a song have the chance to do so. Well, that may not be allowed since it is all arranged with the band.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3838803;
    The worst group ever I think was the one when Fantasia won. The worst boys by far. Not one of them would have made it this year's AI. The women at least had Fantasia, Latoya, and Jennifer.

The best group? Hmmmm, i have to think about that. Maybe the one when Taylor Hicks won. Daughtry and Yamin should have been final 2.

As for the girls this year....I wasn't big on Katelyn Epperly. I thought she was the weakest but she surprised me. Haley was the least experienced but she's the most unique and that's why she got in over Angela. Unfortunately she didn't sing a country song which could go against her. There was no other country girl and she could have used that to her advantage, however, she will survive this first round.

Truer words were never spoken!

Overall, Tuesday's performances made for an awful night.

Siobhan and Crystal were stand-outs for me, but maybe only because they were 10th and 11th on a roster of 12. By that time, I had muted the sound at least 5 times and left the room once.

Please let tonight be better . . . . . much, much better.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Here's how I'd rank tonight's performances:
    1. Crystal
    2. Katelyn
    3. Katie
    4. Siobhan
    5. Paige
    6. Michelle
    7. Haeley
    9. Lilly