+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Grady Season 9

Re: Tyler Grady Season 9

I'm on the fence about him. He did well last night though
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

What can you do with a performer who, when asked how he might address his shortcomings, responds by saying "I guess I'll have to go to the mall."

Seriously, where did they get these people? Do they not own a TV? Do they know this show has been on the air for eight years?

FORT Fogey

I liked this kid! He sucked wind this week, but he's one of the few that sort of interesting for me. I liked his youthful and humble thought process.

Man. This season blows big time.

He should not have gone home over Alex. That being said, though, his line about how he didn't get enough constructive criticism from the judges was a bit snarky, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3841029;
    He should not have gone home over Alex. That being said, though, his line about how he didn't get enough constructive criticism from the judges was a bit snarky, IMO.
    He might have said it a bit snarky, but Simon agreed. When Tyler said that you can see Simon saying "good point." IMO Tyler is right. If they wanted him to do more than his '70's thing then a good time to tell him that would have been during Hollywood week, or when they told he made it through. Something like they liked him but that his 70's schtick would get old in a hurry especially if he was derivative. Until them it appears they only told him good things, so I'm sure their criticism on the first night was a bit surprising. And, others they were saying (and have said in previous years) to know who you are and keep that. That's exactly what he did, and got slammed for it. I wonder how the voting would have gone if they would have somewhat praised him for being true to himself (something they do for others) but let him know that he would have to change it up in the future to keep interest. It was a bad time to give him the criticism they did without first giving him the chance to change.

Tyler was horrible this week. It had nothing to do with song choice or constructive criticism. It was about lack of talent. This guy was really bad. It would have been a shame if he stayed. He doesn't seem to take the show seriously at all. I am a bit surprised that he is gone but I am also quite thrilled.
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

I think he made a valid point and give him kudos for saying what many of us think. They want them in a certain mold, then criticize them for being in it. These kids aren't getting worked with to bring out the best in them, some are savvy enough to do well, others not so. This show is casting characters, they are lucky that they do get some really great singers out of it. Tyler could have done better, America didn't vote, but the show didn't help much either.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I was mildly interested in seeing what Tyler might bring next week, but I have to agree with RealityLovesMe and say that every time he opened his mouth (to speak) he demonstrated how clueless he is about how this show operates.

The judges are not there to mentor him. Their purpose is to entertain (and on rare occasion educate) the home audience about the performances. The contestants may glean what they can from the comments, but ultimately must be guided by their own artistic vision. Lil and Anoop last year chased the mirage of judges suggestions, and found themselves completely frustrated. Ultimately if you need an expert panel to tell you who you are, your run on Idol is doomed from the start.

Have these contestants studied Daughtry, Cook, Lambert, and Allen? Have they figured out what plagued talented contestants like Carly Smithson, Michael Johns, and Danny Gokey? If I were stepping in to a contest that could potentially change my life and career instantly, I think I would be willing to do some homework.

FORT Fogey

I don't think there is any way to predict who will win from year to year - it is not a formula to that can be learned because the votes are depending upon what the viewers/voters decide at the time of the vote. Much of that at this point is influenced by which singers they saw that night (not everyone watches the full two hours), pity for ones who screw up or are crucified by the judges, who they think is safe without their votes, and other things. I don't see any kind of pattern or predictable characteristics among the winners over the years. The contestants just have to bring what they have to offer, try to do something they can do well, deliver their best performance do their best, and hope for the best. The judges' comments will be inconsistent - didn't make it your own, changed the original too much, try to stay true to who you are, you need to be able to do something different (as in Tyler's case) - and, while we listen to what they have to say, we vote the way we want, not the way they say we should.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast