+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tim Urban Season 9

Re: Tim Urban Season 9

Those bass notes surprised me as well. Where did that come from? He sang my favorite Elvis song in a way that made me tear up in a good way. For me, he joins Crystal as the ones I want to hear next week. What will they do and how will they do it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Someone mentioned somewhere in one of the threads that he should sing "Don't Worry, Be Happy." In another thread, that song is apparently on the list of approved songs, so maybe he will humor all of us and sing that one. I'd like to see how he smiles throughout the whole song, taking side glances at Simon along the way!

FORT Fogey

What an arc Tim has had on this show! He wasn't supposed to be here - but was called back in at the last minute. And then what did he do with this golden opportunity? He performed Apologize, one of the worst performances in Idol history. If you missed it, picture a dog howling at the moon, and you'll be pretty close. It was a train wreck of monumental proportions. Yet, that first week the voters spared him, maybe out of pity for his extra short preparation time, or just because of his floppy hair and toothy smile.

He then went on to do a string of awful performances that landed him in the bottom three: Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Under My Thumb, Sweet Love. Each week hammered by the judges. Each week smiling and thanking them for their comments.

Then, in a moment, he turned it all around. After being castigated by Kara for smiling while being criticized (and indirectly accused of being so stupid that he failed to grasp what they were saying), Ryan elicited the following response from Tim:

"The reason you guys see me smile is because every time I step on that stage I know it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And, so, when I get done performing on this stage for millions of people, if I get done singing and I let myself get depressed about what I just did, then I'm gonna walk off that stage and for the rest of my life, go, 'Man .."

With that comment, Tim did something I've never seen happen before: He turned a good number of viewers who hated him into (at least nominal) fans. He showed that he had a perspective on Idol that allowed him to grow in the face of withering criticism. And he put the judges in their place.

At that point he already had one good performance under his belt (Hallelujah), and he then added two more: All My Loving and Can't Help Falling in Love with You. With those songs he showed that he accepted his limitations and was smart enough to choose songs that hid his flaws and emphasized his strengths. (A lesson Aaron has yet to learn.)

He's now out at the #7 spot - which I think is a respectable showing for him. He made the tour. He added interest to a very dull season. I'm sure there are a lot of producers who look at him and see $$$. (I still think he could end up being the most successful of all the contestants in the marketplace.)

Tim, thanks for the drama and showing us an amazingly positive attitude. We need more contestants who can "Urbanize" the judges.

FORT Fogey

Thanks TCDC for a great summary of what the kid brought to the show this season

a round of applause for Tim and the "positive" notes he brought, as I have said before I would still rather see Tim on my screen for another week than the awkward, gawky, Aaron..

TC - I was one who became a nominal fan because of that small speech. It helped that he did get better (from zero to hero) with songs in his range and talent. I see him with a crooner type career or pop bubblegum to start with...but he can grow. I see a growth path for Aaron, also...but not for Casey.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fan

Tim may be only twenty years old. But one can learn a lot from him. Very sad to see him go. He may not be the greatest singer. But he was the sunshine of the show, for me at least.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

A round of applause for Tim. He may not have had the best voice, but he is a gentleman and left graciously.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3883226;
    I see him with a crooner type career or pop bubblegum to start with...but he can grow. I see a growth path for Aaron, also...but not for Casey.
    I see him opening for Justin Bieber.

+ Reply to Thread