+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tim Urban Season 9

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tim Urban Season 9

Last night was the first night I didn't think he "stank", but the performance was so CHEESY!

He'll stick around for a little while longer, but I foresee him being gone shortly after Easter.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fan

When Ryan gave the news that Paige was being eliminated and that Tim was safe, Tim behaved with so much class. He did not react with excitement. Instead he contained himself and gave a comforting hug to Paige and then walked back quietly without drawing any attention to himself. What a nice guy! He always seems like he feels so grateful for being where he is. Hope he performs well and gets to stay a few more weeks.

He's entertaining. Please stick around.

Last edited by Unklescott; 03-31-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3867028;
    He sang Sweet Love.

Tim singing my fav Anita Baker song. How adorable.

It was early when I was posting these.

FORT Fogey

He is cute...didn't do a bad job and most pleasingly ,totally confuses the judges. When Simon ever let loose with that comment that the kid keeps laughing all through judging because people will vote for him and he will be around for another week regardless of the judges' comments, he was right.

FORT Fan

Agree with you ibot2much.

Tim actually tried to be a vocalist last night. And got no praise for it from the judges for trying. Oh I loved it every time Tim threw his head up and laughed when the judges were judging his performance. I hope he gets to stay another week just to irritate the judges.

FORT Fogey

First, I've gotta give him credit. His singing is getting better each week, so he is obviously working hard during the week with the music people. Also, Tim is fearless. He will get out on that stage and try anything. I really admire that, and I think in the long run that attitude will help him grow as a performer.

In the short term though, he has a huge blind spot. He doesn't recognize his limitations. Everybody has them, and everyone has to tailor material to hide their weaknesses and emphasize their strengths. Tim doesn't do that. It's like he thinks that if he's behind in the competition, that means he has to do a big song to make a big impression.

Problem is, he has a small voice. Any time he takes on a big song, he's going to sound bad. Case in point: Sweet Love. Just like with Apologize, Tim doesn't have the vocal range to pull it off. He doesn't have the vocal power to do the big belt. And he doesn't have the emotional range to do a passionate love song. By taking on this material and doing it pretty much the way the original artist did the song, Tim looks foolish.

He isn't alone in this - Aaron and Katie have fallen into the same trap. I think Tim could have done OK in this competition if he knew how to scale songs down to his level. There are plenty of pop songs written for artists with limited range. And he doesn't have to do the big sexy love songs. (Despite his good looks, he seems to drain the sexuality out of his songs.) He could do something like the "Aw, shucks" philosophy of Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head and be believable.

But I don't think he even sees the issue, so in the short term he probably won't be getting any better.

Something that really kind of stuns me about the judges' commentaries this week was how (except for Simon) they all gloss over him actually singing it in tune when the ones they "love" can't stay on key in a "singing competition". We all know and accept that Idol is more than that, but at the same time, it's just weird to have them fawning over flat and pooh-poohing in-key...

+ Reply to Thread