+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tim Urban Season 9

Re: Tim Urban Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3856720;
    "Under My Thumb" might be one of the LESS offensive songs. Frankly, I was more offended by Tim's rendition of it. The worst performance this season so far.
    No, his rendition of Apologize was WAAYYY worse. He won't win with songs like that, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with it per se. It just kind of .... was.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3856720;
    "Under My Thumb" might be one of the LESS offensive songs. Frankly, I was more offended by Tim's rendition of it. The worst performance this season so far.
    For me it's the combination of those lyrics with that island beach party vibe together with his sunny Disney delivery that just made it... chilling is the best work I can think of. The dissonance buzzing around that song... you just couldn't turn away from it.

The parallel that comes to mind is from the movie Cabaret, which takes place in pre-war Berlin. Some of the movie is very dark, but there's one scene that takes place out in the country in a German beer garden on a sunny spring day. A beautiful blonde boy stands up to sing Tomorrow Belongs to Me, which sounds like an optimistic, vaguely patriotic song. And as everyone joins in to sing with the boy, the camera pans down and you see the swastika on his arm and the brown shirt uniform. And what seemed like a happy uplifting moment turns frightening - because we know how the whole Nazi thing is going to play out.

Now, I don't think Tim is an evil person. (But really, do we know what's under those bangs? A "666", perhaps?) But he seems to be completely clueless about lyrics. He could be up there singing "La la la" and it would be as meaningful to him.

FORT Fan

I feel really, I mean r.e.a.l.l.y. sorry for Tim Urban for all the beatings he has taken (from me included). He is after all a young kid with no life experience yet he shows so much humility and maturity in facing all the criticism. I hope he makes it to top 10 so he can go on tour. And I hope that after he is eliminated he will go back and get himself some serious voice training. Losing the nasal tone, opening up his voice and feeling the emotion of the song are somethings he needs to work on right away. He can correct the technical flaws with practice.

I give him credit, too, as I feel he's dealing well with this.
    I do like that he seems to be fully aware that he's in way over his head.
    A lot of the others seem to think they have a right to be there.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I said it the other day: he knows what he cannot do and is working things to do what he can, which is a very smart professional choice. Ellen is totally on the mark with him. After this he should get a nice acting gig with some singing involved (why not Glee, really?) and he'll do great. In the meantime if he keeps making smart choices he should stick around until around top 8 or so.

FORT Fogey

Last night's performance was like a SNL skit - those lyrics with the lighthearted delivery and grin??? Just bizarre.

Maybe Siobhan should've done Paint it Black leaning back on a cloud while strumming a harp.

Some of these contestants don't understand the concept of "make it my own" (as Tim likes to say) - it doesn't mean rip all the songs apart and sing them with the same sappy grin on your face. It means give a new spin but without losing what the song is about.

Still laughing over Ellen's beginning her critique by booing herself because she couldn't give glowing praise for that strangeness.

I quite enjoy Under my thumb with the reggae beat. Been playing it ever since.

I didn't see it but love reggae, and songs rearranged to reggae. But I can understand the apparent discord between lyrics and performance.

OT, but I sure love Cas Haley from "America's Got Talent"...he knows how to reggae.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I wonder if he even knows about that song. He obviously learned the lyrics but it is hard for me to believe he sang such a sexist song. It boggles my mind how this all came to be.
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

Maybe he likes the concept and that's why he was smiling? (ugh)
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

+ Reply to Thread