+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

Re: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

She is hands down my favorite this season, she makes me smile every time she comes on the screen and that's not even getting into how amazing she can sing. In my dream world, it would have been her, Crystal and Lily as the final three. I'll settle for Didi instead. I think it's way past time to have an all girl final three.

My husband hates this show and usually is reading a book while listening to his iPod while I'm watching this but even he will put it all aside when she (and to be fair Crystal too) are on to catch them and then he simply does that nodding thing and smile that guys do when they think somebody is "awright" and then goes back to ignoring the show.

FORT Fogey

My all-time favorite AI performance was Fantasia singing "Summertime".

I saw an interview of Siobhan somewhere on U-tube and she said that Fantasia's performance affected her to the core (paraphrasing). So, for me, the girl has taste that I can respect.

This just bumped her up another notch for me.

Reg. Crystal, I think Crystal's tone of voice is more beautifl than Siobhan's but her range is more limited. I love them both but for different reasons.

FORT Newbie

Found a video of Siobhan singin' the blues with her band.

YouTube - Siobhan Magnus and Lunar Valve Ball n' Chain

She and Casey should perform a blues duet one day.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3858483;
    As I write this, there have been four live performances and the first studio recordings (from Rolling Stones night) have been released. And I have to say this: I can't imagine any other endgame to Season 9 other than Siobhan winning the title.

That's a pretty strong opinion, I know, but what cemented this thought in my mind is hearing her recording (not the performance) of Paint It Black. Everything that was questionable in the performance is gone in the recording, which leaves me knocked over by:
    • The purity of her tone. There are hints of Deborah Harry and Linda Ronstadt in her sound.
    • The range of her voice - she has the belty rock chick alto and a lovely upper range, which is on display this week and also the first week on Wicked Game.
    • Her musical taste - Wicked Game was tastefully restrained; Think was an all-out diva-fest; Paint has a mesmerizing combination of tender, almost lullaby-like mourning and full-out wailing grief.
    • The drama - Siobhan knows how to squeeze "the moment" (as Simon likes to call it) out of a song.
    • The personality - she's fascinating. We can't figure her out.

Crystal is currently the front runner. She came in to the show a more fully developed performer. I think Crystal will continue to do well and have a fine recording career. But at this point we have seen most of what Crystal has to offer.

Siobhan has just scratched the surface. Hearing her voice, I can't think of a genre of music at which she wouldn't excel. She's already done a country feel with Wicked Game. There is no doubt that she can nail disco or Broadway. Every style that may come up and give Crystal fits, is a no-brainer for Siobhan.

If you like Siobhan, I highly recommend listening to her studio recordings on iTunes as they become available. The microphone loves this voice, and she has a great recording career ahead, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the reminder about the studio versions, TopCatDC. And I totally agree with your assessment of Siobhan.

I loved her live performance because of the intensity of it and am looking forward to what she'll be doing each week. For that reason, I hope she's around until the final night, whether she ends up #1 or not.

I could see her doing something by UneXpect:

YouTube - Unexpect - Chromatic Chimera

Who all has gotten the studio version? I see subtle manipulation going on. Her voice is almost drowned out by the pounding drum beat that should have been toned down a bit. Compare it to Crystal's song where you hear her voice and then an almost muted musical sound behind it.

Yes, I'm getting on that grassy knoll!

While both songs are really good and easily the best of the lot, I found it interesting the disparity in quality between the two songs. Crystals was much more polished and professional sounding...makes one wonder why? Did the contestants have input into the studio recordings and Siobhan not being as versed and experienced as Crystal didn't realize how much the drum would overpower her singing?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3860805;
    ... I see subtle manipulation going on....
    Yes, I'm getting on that grassy knoll!
    Sorry I can't climb up there and keep you company, but two core Idol beliefs keep me grounded:
    • Idol iTunes downloads exist for the sole purpose of vacuuming money out of fans' pockets and into the coffers of Apple, 19 Entertainment, and Simon Cowell's SYCO Music.
    • Idol producers could care less who wins. All contestants are under contract already and they can do with them as they please.

We (the fans) care who wins. The producers use that passion to manipulate us into buying services from AT&T and watching five months of commercials on Fox TV. That's what they care about.

And back to Siobhan, Ken Barnes at USA Today is now on the Magnus bus:

Our 'Idol Meter' is running; Siobhan is the one to watch

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3860885;
    Sorry I can't climb up there and keep you company, but two core Idol beliefs keep me grounded:
    LOL fair enough.

Then maybe it's just that she isn't savvy enough yet when it comes to recording to know to not let the music drown out your vocals.

I actually really enjoyed both downloads and was happy to add to their coffers. Now as far as commercials go? I rarely watch live so they are wasting their money on me.

Siobhan does effortlessly what the others have to stretch for & still not acheive. This may not have been her best, but she is the one that continually steps out of a zone & tries something new. You never know what she is going to do, but it sure is fun to watch. Simon making the same "some will love it, some will hate it" statement is just plain weird. That could be said for all these kinds.

+ Reply to Thread