+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

Good for her to be doing so well!!
    She had virtually NO coverage pre Top 24... so she's had very little time to gain a fan base.
    Well done Siobhan.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Absolutely loved her last night. I hope she sticks around for a long time considering she had no coverage prior to top 24
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I had to watch this performance multiple times & every time it is a jaw dropper. As a pure vocalist, Siobhan is head & shoulders above anyone else in this competition. That's not to say she is the best artist, but man o man can this girl sing.

PS: Weird, strange, or just goofy, Siobhan is definitely gaining some major buzz & I love it.

FORT Fogey

I was a little annoyed when I heard Ryan repeat the judges' comments and said that Simon stated that some parts of her song were great and other parts terrible. ( I always mute the judges comments). Apparently Simon is so hot for Crystal, he is not even--yet again--pretending to be unbiased. Since S.M. went last and people were amazed at what she had done, Simon had to make sure that the thought ringing in every's head was the word "terrible" associated with SM and then the comment that C.B. had been the best that he managed to squeeze in at the very end.

Siobhan has Irish Eyes smiling all over the place.

'American Idol' Siobhan Magnus and her Irish connections | Entertainment in Ireland and Around the World | IrishCentral

'American Idol' Siobhan Magnus and her Irish connections

Show standout’s family name has a long and proud history

American Idol contestant Siobhan Magnus has a last name that means ‘Great’ in Latin. How fitting. Magnus proved just how “great” she was when she performed on “American Idol” Wednesday night, blowing the judges away with her rendition of Aretha Franklin’s “Think.”

The name Magnus was initially a first name among Romans during the middle ages. People began to name their children Magnus as Europe was converted to Latin speaking Catholic Christianity. People wanted their children to be “great”!

When Christianity came to Ireland so did the name Magnus, and over time it became a surname.

Although the Viking settlers are responsible for the introduction of Magnus as a personal name, the surname it gave rise to is entirely Irish.

As time went on, some of the Magnus families began speaking Gaelic, translating their surnames into MacGaghnais and later retranslated back as MacManus, a commonly known surname in Ireland today.

Magnus and MacManus came into being in two distinct areas: in Co Roscommon, where the family claim descent from Maghnais, son of the twelfth-century High King, Turlough O'Connor; and in Co Fermanagh, where the original ancestor was Maghnuis Maguire, son of the chieftain Donn Mor Maguire.

In Fermanagh they were second in power only to the Maguires themselves, and from their base on the island of Ballymaguire (now Belleisle) on Lough Erne controlled the shipping and fishing of the lake.

Siobhan’s ancestors on the Magnus side hail from Co. Galway and her relations, whom the family is in regular contact with (Magnus, O’Riordan and Mullins) are rooting for their cousin back in Ireland.

Siobhan’s great grandparents on her mother, Colleen’s, side, come from Clonmel in Tipperary and Mallow in Cork.

The name Siobhan is derived from the name Joan, which means “God is gracious.”

What an apt name for such a talented performer!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3847745;
    I had to watch this performance multiple times & every time it is a jaw dropper. As a pure vocalist, Siobhan is head & shoulders above anyone else in this competition. That's not to say she is the best artist, but man o man can this girl sing.

PS: Weird, strange, or just goofy, Siobhan is definitely gaining some major buzz & I love it.
    So agree, I think people are waking up to how good she really is.

FORT Regular

She's great, definitely my fave. I bet the last three girls will be Crystal, Siobhan, and Lily. I haven't watched the guys at all.

I think Siobhan is a front runner, she is also my favorite out of all the men and women.

FORT Newbie

In all 9 seasons I haven't been rooting for a favorite as much as I am right now for her. Her singing, her personality, her looks!! I'm already anxious to see what she'll next week.

She doesn't have the best voice there (although she's probably still in the top 4 in that category), but she certainly wins the "adorable" award. If personality really figures into things, she's a frontrunner.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread