+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

FORT Fogey

Re: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLuv;3890251;
    ... What judges say does matter. It shapes public opinion...

Yes, in the end Siobhan decided her songs and her fate, but I am just trying to factor in the things that went into her decision-making. I think she did listen to the judges...
    I agree with both of these points. The judges have an affect on the viewers (although not always the one they might intend). And, yes, I think Siobhan took the judges suggestions into account in deciding what and how she would sing.

The question is, given the history of successful (and unsuccessful) contestants on this show, was that a wise choice? And second, if she crafted a strategy based on the judges suggestions, who is to blame for the failure? Some suggest that the judges are to blame for giving bad (and contradictory) advice. I blame the contestant for not knowing who they are to begin with.

I don't discount the importance of the judges on this show. Only that from the contestants perspective, the judges are valuable solely as barometers of success or failure. Their advice on how to improve, however, is pretty worthless. They don't know these people; they don't coach them or work with them. They aren't invested in their success. (That's the premise of X Factor.) They are just tossing ideas off the top of their heads in a matter of seconds on live TV. You can't chart your career by that kind of casual advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet;3890465;
    If you want to sell millions of records, then you've got to be willing to bend a little, and do not what is fun for you all the time, but what the audience wants.....If Siobhan is content to forever be a glass blower who sings to small to moderate size audiences on the side, then she made exactly the right choices. But if she aspires to be a huge recording star and sell out arenas, then she needs to start showing a willingness to alter things to what she's being told the audience wants.

I don't think the point is whether Siobhan or anyone else sells "millions of records." I don't think these contestants are aching to sell out arenas. They just want careers that are heck of a lot better than what they had before Idol. People say Ruben "failed" because he only sold a couple million records instead of Kelly Clarkson's mega millions. That's ridiculous. Ruben was an unknown singer making very little money performing before his AI stint, Now he is rich and a well-respected gospel singer and was nominated for a Grammy. Taylor Hicks was another unknown making no money, and now is a successful Broaday performer, like several other AI alumni.

Elliott Yamin has a successful recording career, even though he doesn't "sell out arenas."

If Siobhan can get a stint on Broadway or record an album with an established label, she will be light years ahead of where she was before AI.
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-30-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fan

I don't think I can watch the rest of the Idol Season now that Siobhan is gone.

She was my favorite. I thought she had the best personality and voice. I just knew that save on Big Mike was going to hunt us Siobhan fans.

I'm very sad about her elimination, but hopeful for her future.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Deutscher;3891349;
    I don't think I can watch the rest of the Idol Season now that Siobhan is gone.

She was my favorite. I thought she had the best personality and voice. I just knew that save on Big Mike was going to hunt us Siobhan fans.

I'm very sad about her elimination, but hopeful for her future.
    You think the judges would have saved Siobhan if they could?

^i think the judges would save her if given the chance

just saw this on youtube....wow!

YouTube - Siobhan Magnus - HALO (on piano)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3891379;
    You think the judges would have saved Siobhan if they could?

Yes, I think the judges would have and should have saved Siobhan.

I think the two best on the show are CLEARLY Siobhan and Crystal...the rest are mediocre.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Deutscher;3892960;
    Yes, I think the judges would have and should have saved Siobhan.

I think the two best on the show are CLEARLY Siobhan and Crystal...the rest are mediocre.
    I think they would have saved her 4 or 5 weeks ago. The competition has changed since then. Nobody is expendable anymore. I don't think they regret their decision to use the save.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3894575;
    I think they would have saved her 4 or 5 weeks ago. The competition has changed since then. Nobody is expendable anymore. I don't think they regret their decision to use the save.
    I agree with this. They would have used it on her in the first couple weeks of the top 12 but I don't think they cared by the time she left. She was just getting worse every week and I'm sure they weren't too sad to see her go.

You're awesome Unk.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread