+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

Re: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

I was disappointed in both her singing and the way she went back on her implied promise to back off the screaming. I like her, I want to see her last a very long time on this show and make it all the way to top 3 if not win the whole thing. However, I may have to withdraw that if she doesn't stop with the screaming.

I hated it when Adam did it and I was willing to cut Siobhan a lot of slack because at least she was doing it when it was appropriate for the song, however, last night? Not appropriate at all and completely ruined her performance.

Hopefully she learned a lesson and will do better next week.

I'm afraid she may be self-sabotaging due to being so "green" and not knowing her "voice" enough to be true to it like Crystal and Mike and even Casey are doing. It's times like this that her inexperience compared to those three really shows.

Siobhan, Siobhan, Siobhan...WHAT happened last night?

I hear you lobes. I was so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3867133;
    I hear you lobes. I was so disappointed.
    With her voice and her range, that song seemed so perfect for her to do. I just knew it was going to be a home run, maybe she just got in her own way. It was like seeing this great racehorse that you know is going to win a race with ease, you are just waiting for him to make his move and at that point instead of catching the other horses he inexplicably starts to lose more ground.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Siobhan has an amazing talent, and clearly last night was just an off-night for her. But even when she is on top with her game, her artistry overshadows her connection with the audience sometimes. If she survives tonight's vote outcome, I hope she comes back and just sings a simple song simply. She could get back in the game fast.

==
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fan

I blame Usher for Siobhan's bad performance. He totally messed with her head. Why does he care what she was going to wear? And his fixation on personalizing, making eye contacts, imagining a human target... Gosh! It was all about style and not substance. I wish they would bring back legends like Barry Manilow, Diana Ross, etc. who advised the contestants about technical aspects of singing and clarity of pronunciation.

In a way it was good this happened. Now Siobhan knows some of her vocal shortcomings. I bet she will be working very hard the next few days and blow everybody away next week, if she survives tonight.

I don't know that I'd place blame on Usher for Siobhan's performance last night.
    She's been told already to stop with the screaming and she has continued to do it.
    I like her, but I've said before that I wasn't even that keen when Adam did the screaming, And Adam's voice is, IMO, way better than Siobhan's.
    I'm hoping Siobhan will do better next week. And I would have to say that when what I most notice about a contestant is their strange boots, hairdo and diaper looking skirt, then it is time for them to improve in that area. I think she's a very interesting looking girl with a very distinctive, unique voice. I'd rather see the latter than the former.
    Still, I'd much prefer to see her continue than a majority of the other contestants.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

I was waiting for yesterday's performance so much after a mediocre scream filled superstitiuos last week... I was really disappointed, but still dialed in for her to help her stay around for redemption. Once she's gone, AI nights will be just like any other night.

I do agree though that she has to stop that screaming. She holds her screaming notes a little too long.

FORT Fogey

I just rewatched Siobhan's performance from last night, and although she overshot a few notes, I didn't think it was bad overall. I think it was a bad song choice - some nondescript 80's R&B that she didn't give any modern pizazz. She's still better than most of the other 9 remaining, and I hope she stays on. Would like to see her do something softer and slower that showcases her range so that the focus is only on her vocals - not her clothes, not any strangeness of stage presence, and not any loud runs and such.

the first time i learned that she will be singing Chaka Khan's signature song i feared the worst
    no one should dare sing "Through the Fire" unless one could match Chaka's vocal control especially in the end wherein the high notes come out as borderline shrill
    Siobhan merely screamed it and it came out overwrought and not really hitting it..heck even in the lower register, her voice cracked several times
    i agree with Ellen and Kara, when she realized she went sharp in the chorus, she panicked and lost her way
    maybe she was nervous at the start because of those big notes in the end...which i thought she handled well in her previous songs
    don't get me wrong as siobhan is my fave this season but she should know her limitations or if she wants to push herself, she better prepare for it

+ Reply to Thread