+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Re: Siobhan Magnus Season 9

She did great last night. I just wish she wouldn't do that big screaming power note at the end of every single performance
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3861738;
    Simon making the same "some will love it, some will hate it" statement is just plain weird. That could be said for all these kinds.
    I get where Simon is coming from. Some contestants (Adam Lambert being the prime example) work on a musical edge that some embrace, while others flee in terror. It becomes complicated to talk about their popularity because for every person who thinks that are a master artist, there is someone else who thinks they are a one-note impostor.

On AI this could hurt Siobhan in the later stages on the competition when a winner needs to bring a coalition of voters together in consensus. It is not a problem at all after AI in the marketplace which of course is already fragmented beyond belief.

Siobhan reminds me of the young 18 year old Barbra Streisand breaking in to the recording and night club business in the early 1960's. She was such an oddball, dressing in weird thrift-shop clothes, with an off-beat personality. Her singing style was in-your-face dramatic. Some people found it compelling and fresh, and others found it exhausting. Although everyone agreed that she had a remarkable voice.

Siobhan is kind of a 2010 version of that. It doesn't surprise me that she both attracts and repels fans. As Simon said the second week, that's not necessarily a bad thing, in the long run.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Last night was the first night I didn't LOVE her performance. In the end, even though it was on key, it did sound like screaming to me.

I don't have a problem with her "quirkiness". I actually enjoy that she is different, without really putting effort into it. She is the way she is. I don't feel like she's doing it just to stand out.

Was it just me or . . . . . did she get a rather short segment during the playback at the end of the show? I know she was the last to perform and should still have been fresh in everyone's memory, but her portion of the final moments seemed to be over in the blink of an eye.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3861738;
    Simon making the same "some will love it, some will hate it" statement is just plain weird. That could be said for all these kinds.
    When taken in the whole context of what he was saying, I get it. If people are avidly hating or loving a song it means they are talking passionately about it, like Adam last season. It's much better to be in that position than to be in one where people can't even remember what you sang.

Siobhan is being discussed everywhere, either loving her or hating her, and that will pretty much guarantee that she gets a deal out of it because she's topical.

It was nice to see her agree last night that the scream need to be used sparingly. It is something that she can do that none of the others will even be able to attempt, it set her apart, & now I think she will use it only when absolutely necessary. I think her normal voice is enough to put her above almost all the others left.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3862688;
    It was nice to see her agree last night that the scream need to be used sparingly. It is something that she can do that none of the others will even be able to attempt, it set her apart, & now I think she will use it only when absolutely necessary. I think her normal voice is enough to put her above almost all the others left.
    I really don't know why but this post made me think about what it would be like to hear her sing a song like "Happy Days are Here Again".
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Does she really need to scream every time ? Except Wicked Game.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Wow!

If she had been any other contestant (well, any other than Crystal), you wouldn't have been shocked, but considering the caliber of her previous performances, last night was . . . . wow . . . . really not good.

Will she be bottom three? No. Too many fans willing to cover for what I hope was just one bad night.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I am a fan so I was surprised that she was so off last night...and very surprised that she continued to do the "big notes" when she said last week that she realized that she needed to use them sparingly

+ Reply to Thread